The Student Room Group

How do I get psychology work experience for the DClinPsy?

So I am currently doing a psychology undergrad, and want I to get onto the clinical psychology doctorate after I graduate in 2020.

I have done different types of volunteering at my university already, and I applied for a support worker role over summer but I got rejected from it because I refused to do personal care (i.e. helping people in the bathroom).

What organisations offer support worker or healthcare assistant job roles without personal care? There are so many I've applied to but just can't seem to do it because they all want you to do personal care, which honestly is out of the question for me.

Are there any other relevant job roles I can do whilst at university or over the summer?

Thanks.
Original post by Vashti02
I have done different types of volunteering at my university already, and I applied for a support worker role over summer but I got rejected from it because I refused to do personal care (i.e. helping people in the bathroom).

What organisations offer support worker or healthcare assistant job roles without personal care? There are so many I've applied to but just can't seem to do it because they all want you to do personal care, which honestly is out of the question for me.

This would be better back in Psychology or voluntary experience or jobs sections.

What are different types of volunteering at university?
Mentoring in schools?
Mentoring 1st years?
Showing students around?
Ambassador?
Psychology Society?
Academic representative type thing
SU roles
Research assistant?

Most of those are going to be not remotely relevant to the doctorate, but they are useful getting you other roles that will be.

Healthcare assistant role is a very broad based job title in the NHS (and outside of it) that's used for a very large number of settings. Which areas are you searching? Primary care? Community? Hospital? Support worker is also a very generic name.

Placements and all that jazz over the summer it might be too late now. What about volunteering at Mencap, Mind, ABA tutor, ASD roles, addiction, CBT and so on? Bit puzzled what you want as the title self volunteering, but the post says jobs.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending