The Student Room Group

additional AS in A2

right, at the moment I take 4AS's Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Urdu...trouble is I don't want to continue with Urdu as I have pretty much taught myself the language at advanced level and it has been an awful lot of work. In addition the A2 requires me to analyse poetry etc. and I highly doubt I'd be able to do that on my own.
So, my question is would having just 3 a-levels at the required grades be detrimental to my application, and would it help if I took another AS next year, which subject would u advise??? I don't really know what subject to take but am open to suggestions.

Thanks in Advance:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Universities only ask for 3 A Levels. So I don't think it would be detrimental to your application. I only do 3, and don't do another AS
Reply 2
3 really good grades will look better than 3 good ones and 1 bad one, which if you will struggle with it and not enjoy it, you might get. Uni's only ask for 3 grades anyway, unless you are already taking 4, in which case some top-end unis may specify 4 grades. I really doubt it would be at all detrimental if you dropped it.
Reply 3
You can, but nobody's going to notice or care.
Reply 4
lynds81
Uni's only ask for 3 grades anyway, unless you are already taking 4, in which case some top-end unis may specify 4 grades.
I don't believe that any of the medical schools have ever specified 4 A2s as conditions.
Reply 5
lynds81
in which case some top-end unis may specify 4 grades.

I've not heard of any universities that specify four grades as part of their offer. I know Peninsula require you to get a higher number of UCAS points if you do four, but that's only to stop people getting CCCC.
Reply 6
If you look at this years offers list, those doing 4 A2 have been asked to get 4 A2 as part of their offer by Imperial and GKT. But thats only cause they are doing 4. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=515016
You are not required to do 4 anywhere, its your choice if you chose to, but don't expect to be class as better than someone with 3, you will both be put on equal leveling on that criteria.
yay!! there was me getting worried...anyway thankyou sooo much people that was really reassuring:biggrin:
4 A2's has to be better than 3
Reply 9
Aaron_1507

Why does it? Surely AAA is better than AABB/ABBB? Medical schools only ask for 3 A2s because they only require 3 A2s. If they wanted four then they'd ask for four.
Reply 10
Aaron_1507
To you it might be, but the medical schools don't care.
Infact, it can work against you if you do 4 A levels as there is the possibility of them making you an offer based on all 4 A levels (not common but then again not unheard of). Unless youre missing a qualification at AS that could be handy (possibly physics to complete a science quartet) or just fed up twiddling your thumbs (that was my motivation for 4 A levels), then dont bother with the extra AS, just focus on making sure you get AAA
Renal
To you it might be, but the medical schools don't care.

Yeah fair enough Renal but some people make it sound like 4 is worse than 3 when obviously it is not, in general that is. I know for medicine you only need 3 and i am not trying to put people with 3 down just saying that in general 4 has to be better than 3.
Alex- saying that is slightly biased, saying 3 A2, AAA is better than 4A2, AABB well of course it is but AAA isnt better than AAAA is it or even AAAa.:rolleyes:
martin101
Infact, it can work against you if you do 4 A levels as there is the possibility of them making you an offer based on all 4 A levels (not common but then again not unheard of). Unless youre missing a qualification at AS that could be handy (possibly physics to complete a science quartet) or just fed up twiddling your thumbs (that was my motivation for 4 A levels), then dont bother with the extra AS, just focus on making sure you get AAA

Out of interest what did you get, AAAA?
Aaron_1507
Yeah fair enough Renal but some people make it sound like 4 is worse than 3 when obviously it is not, in general that is. I know for medicine you only need 3 and i am not trying to put people with 3 down just saying that in general 4 has to be better than 3.
Alex- saying that is slightly biased, saying 3 A2, AAA is better than 4A2, AABB well of course it is but AAA isnt better than AAAA is it or even AAAa.:rolleyes:

Nobody's said it was worse, just that it was no better, that's all. I don't know what's biased about what I said though :confused:. Obviously AAAA is more of an achievement than AAA, but I didn't say that did I. My point was that why risk getting AABB/ABBB due to the extra workload of a fourth A2, when you could quite easily get AAA by doing three. And it's generally assumed that people do a fourth AS, so I don't see what the last part has to do with anything :s-smilie:
Because you said getting ABBB isnt better than getting AAA well obviously not and people who get AAA would be able to get AAAA anyway
But where was the bias in my original statement? And my point about the last part was because you said that AAAa was better than AAA, as if the person in the second (hypothetical) situation has no fourth AS.
The bias was that you said 3 is better than 4 and 'proved' it by saying AAA is better than AABB which is not valid in anyway. The truth is 4 is better than 3 given they are the same grade.
Aaron_1507
The bias was that you said 3 is better than 4 and 'proved' it by saying AAA is better than AABB which is not valid in anyway. The truth is 4 is better than 3 given they are the same grade.

Please reference the source of that information you quote as "truth". I'll be happy to accept what you state is fact as soon as you can show me a reliable source with statistics. In my experience I've found three to be sufficient anyway. Personally, I don't think that four is better than three, but I'm not going around stating my opinion as fact, because that's all it is, my opinion.
Well its obvious 4 A's is better than 3 A's, if you think that getting 3 A's is better than getting 4 A's your crazy

Latest

Trending

Trending