The Student Room Group

Don’t know what to do with my life

Hi. So I’m currently studying BTEC Applied Science Level 3 and I have no idea what course to study at university. I need to get my personal statement done in under a month. I don’t even know if I like science anymore and I have done so much research into all the degrees and I feel like nothing interests me. Has anyone been in a similar situation to me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student guest
Hi. So I’m currently studying BTEC Applied Science Level 3 and I have no idea what course to study at university. I need to get my personal statement done in under a month. I don’t even know if I like science anymore and I have done so much research into all the degrees and I feel like nothing interests me. Has anyone been in a similar situation to me?

Try going to university open days and speaking to students and staff from different courses. Some even do small taster sessions. You could always take a year out to figure everything out if need be
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Try going to university open days and speaking to students and staff from different courses. Some even do small taster sessions. You could always take a year out to figure everything out if need be

I went to uni open days but I didn’t have the courage to speak to the staff as I feel low by saying I study a btec. Also, I’ve already wasted a year as I did A levels but didn’t go well.
I went to uni open days but I didn’t have the courage to speak to the staff as I feel low by saying I study a btec. Also, I’ve already wasted a year as I did A levels but didn’t go well.

Don't, I did one and so did plenty of others. There's nothing low about it. They'll know what you studied when you apply anyway, and you won't be the only one there who is doing/has done a btec

Why do you feel low?

Plenty of people take BTECs as their pre-university qualification and progress very well at university. You shouldn't feel ashamed at all.
How about Midwifery or other healthcare professions, such as radiography?
Thanks. But I don’t think it will help me realise what to do as I don’t even know if I want to study science anymore.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Don't, I did one and so did plenty of others. There's nothing low about it. They'll know what you studied when you apply anyway, and you won't be the only one there who is doing/has done a btec
Loads of people make fun of it and I just don’t feel good enough but thanks anyways.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Why do you feel low?

Plenty of people take BTECs as their pre-university qualification and progress very well at university. You shouldn't feel ashamed at all.
I’m not really interested in midwifery and I was thinking radiography but there aren’t many universities who do radiography and accept btec. I also have to stay in London for Uni.
Original post by Examsareoversoon
How about Midwifery or other healthcare professions, such as radiography?
There are lots of other healthcare related careers, e.g radiotherapy, paramedic science, optometry, audiology. Maybe do a quick google search for healthcare careers
I’m not really interested in midwifery and I was thinking radiography but there aren’t many universities who do radiography and accept btec. I also have to stay in London for Uni.

I was exactly the same whilst on my access diploma, everyone was finishing their statements and I hadn't even started.
What's the best part of your course, your favourite module?
Have you considered sports related degrees? Science is really broad and could open up anything. You do have to work backwards from a job you're interested in, and which degree to get it, but not all routes are linear and things will change along the 3/4 years you're at uni.
Quick look at UCAS. Both city university and South bank do radiography and accept btec. You could do a lot worse than study that. Chance to travel the world. Guaranteed employment and pension. Great career prospects and really interesting
I don’t really have a favourite module. I just managed to get all Distinctions somehow but completing my assignments and using google. I’m more interested in the maths side as I take two maths units, but I’m doing science so there’s no way I can do a degree not related to science.
Original post by jamiejay
I was exactly the same whilst on my access diploma, everyone was finishing their statements and I hadn't even started.
What's the best part of your course, your favourite module?
Have you considered sports related degrees? Science is really broad and could open up anything. You do have to work backwards from a job you're interested in, and which degree to get it, but not all routes are linear and things will change along the 3/4 years you're at uni.
How about foundation year?
So if you wanted to study art and have a btec in science you would still be eligible for foundation year in art

it allows you to switch to whatever subject you want.
Main downside is not every degree offers a foundation year
(edited 4 years ago)
But the thing is I’ve already wasted one year and that would be another year on top of that and I’m worried what if I don’t like the course I’m doing then what?
Original post by adam271
How about foundation year?
So if you wanted to study art and have a btec in science you would still be eligible for foundation year in art

it allows you to switch to whatever subject you want.
Main downside is not every degree offers a foundation year
Have you considered taking a gap year to figure out what you want to do? Rather than rushing into a subject you are not sure about, you could travel, work and save up some money while figuring out what you are interested in
Ye take a gap year.
I assumed you was frustrated by the limited choices you had with your btec.

If you have no idea what you want to do at all then take a year off.
Reply 17
Why do you have to go Uni? Maybe look at some apprenticeships instead.
https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/apprenticeships-223
I would say to take a look at the Advanced Apprenticeships and Higher Apprenticeships.
I can’t waste another year though. Everyone will be mad at me. I have thought about it for the past two years but I’m still not sure so I don’t think another year will help me.
Original post by Examsareoversoon
Have you considered taking a gap year to figure out what you want to do? Rather than rushing into a subject you are not sure about, you could travel, work and save up some money while figuring out what you are interested in
But I’ve already taken a year off and I don’t think it will help me as I’ve already done so much research and looked into courses but nothing seems to interest me.
Original post by adam271
Ye take a gap year.
I assumed you was frustrated by the limited choices you had with your btec.

If you have no idea what you want to do at all then take a year off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending