The Student Room Group

Don’t know what to do with my life

Scroll to see replies

I defo am going uni. It’s been my plan ever since I was little but it’s just the course as I’m struggling to choose what degree to study.
Original post by ah18212
Why do you have to go Uni? Maybe look at some apprenticeships instead.
https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/apprenticeships-223
I would say to take a look at the Advanced Apprenticeships and Higher Apprenticeships.
Have you looked into attending any taster sessions at your local university? Many universities offer sample lectures, lab sessions and other events for local students. Experiencing university-level sessions of a few subjects may help you to decide what you may be interested in. You say you don't want to take a gap year, but one year is very little compared to years of regret for choosing the wrong career path and not being able to afford to go back to uni because you wasted the finance on a degree you weren't sure on. If no university courses are appealing to you, maybe university isn't the best path for you. Have you considered degree apprenticeships or similar?

Nothing wrong with going to uni a year later anyway, loads of people go to university in their 30s or older.
Hmmm well said. The thing is if I waste another year, I don’t even think my parents will allow it and I also know that if I go uni, I will end up dropping out of the subject.
I could try taster days but most of them are aimed at those who are studying A levels. Good point or is there any kind of first year uni where you experience different courses. I have thought of degree apprenticeships but my parents won’t allow me to do that as everyone talks bad about it in my family.
Original post by Examsareoversoon
Have you looked into attending any taster sessions at your local university? Many universities offer sample lectures, lab sessions and other events for local students. Experiencing university-level sessions of a few subjects may help you to decide what you may be interested in. You say you don't want to take a gap year, but one year is very little compared to years of regret for choosing the wrong career path and not being able to afford to go back to uni because you wasted the finance on a degree you weren't sure on. If no university courses are appealing to you, maybe university isn't the best path for you. Have you considered degree apprenticeships or similar?

Nothing wrong with going to uni a year later anyway, loads of people go to university in their 30s or older.
Scottish degree courses allow you to take more than one subject in the first year, and unrelated ones, such as philosophy and economics. Have you considered joint honour degrees, where they allow you to study two subjects over all three years?

Don't dismiss degree apprenticeships just because some people (wrongly) look down upon them. They allow you to gain the same degree, lots of work experience and earn a salary while doing it, rather than having £40,000+ in student debt. For subjects such as engineering they are particularly good options.

While you should take your parents' view into consideration, it's your future. Do what you want to do.
Original post by Student guest
I could try taster days but most of them are aimed at those who are studying A levels. Good point or is there any kind of first year uni where you experience different courses. I have thought of degree apprenticeships but my parents won’t allow me to do that as everyone talks bad about it in my family.
Umm Yhh you’re right but I jjst find it too difficult to persuade my parents. Also, I’m not sure what degree apprenticeships are and if I study one, what degree would It be based on.
Scottish degree courses allow you to take more than one subject in the first year, and unrelated ones, such as philosophy and economics. Have you considered joint honour degrees, where they allow you to study two subjects over all three years?

Don't dismiss degree apprenticeships just because some people (wrongly) look down upon them. They allow you to gain the same degree, lots of work experience and earn a salary while doing it, rather than having £40,000+ in student debt. For subjects such as engineering they are particularly good options.

While you should take your parents' view into consideration, it's your future. Do what you want to do.
You would have to do some research, there are lots of different ones available, e.g mechanical or civil engineering or law. A degree apprenticeships usually consists of working for an employer four days a week, while learning skills on the job. You then attend university one day a week. The degree is paid for by the employer, and you are also paid a salary. After the apprenticeship (usually three/four years), many people are offered full-time paid jobs, at a higher salary than most normal graduates earn immediately after their degree.
Umm Yhh you’re right but I jjst find it too difficult to persuade my parents. Also, I’m not sure what degree apprenticeships are and if I study one, what degree would It be based on.
Isn't the ucas deadline done now anyway?
Or you applying @ clearing?
They're in year 12.
Original post by adam271
y
Hi. So I’m currently studying BTEC Applied Science Level 3 and I have no idea what course to study at university. I need to get my personal statement done in under a month. I don’t even know if I like science anymore and I have done so much research into all the degrees and I feel like nothing interests me. Has anyone been in a similar situation to me?

yes omg, i joined sixth form in 2018 and i took biology, i got bullied and have now left and i really didnt want to take bio again because i hadnt been enjoying it. i'm now going to be taking english language, psychology and business. im so glad i changed. if you dont know if you will enjoy science anymore, play around with your options for a bit and try out some new things
Reply 30
Taking a gap year isn't a waste - it would be preferential to starting a course that you then drop out of because it's not the right decision. A BTEC with good grades is a good qualification so try not to think of it being inferior to A levels. I think it may help of you took a career match quiz. There is a good one on prospects.ac.uk - it will also help you identify your strengths and what you are good at. As someone said above, careers are rarely linear and the skills you have already developed through your studies and (hopefully) outside interests and activities can be transferred to lots of jobs and sectors. Good Luck.
You would have to do some research, there are lots of different ones available, e.g mechanical or civil engineering or law. A degree apprenticeships usually consists of working for an employer four days a week, while learning skills on the job. You then attend university one day a week. The degree is paid for by the employer, and you are also paid a salary. After the apprenticeship (usually three/four years), many people are offered full-time paid jobs, at a higher salary than most normal graduates earn immediately after their degree.

Ohhh okkkk I will think about it but doing something in that industry does not really interest me. But thanks anyways for the info.
I’m in the first year.
Original post by adam271
Ohh yhh I could have done that but it was last minute and the year before I also did AS so technically I can’t waste another year coz that would mean 4 years in college/sixth form.
Original post by bluepastasketch
y

yes omg, i joined sixth form in 2018 and i took biology, i got bullied and have now left and i really didnt want to take bio again because i hadnt been enjoying it. i'm now going to be taking english language, psychology and business. im so glad i changed. if you dont know if you will enjoy science anymore, play around with your options for a bit and try out some new things
Yhh true. I have achieved all distinctions this year. I have tried career tests and I’ve received different jobs including; lawyer, psychology, sociology, business and accountant. I’ll try the one that you said.
Original post by lwestVP
Taking a gap year isn't a waste - it would be preferential to starting a course that you then drop out of because it's not the right decision. A BTEC with good grades is a good qualification so try not to think of it being inferior to A levels. I think it may help of you took a career match quiz. There is a good one on prospects.ac.uk - it will also help you identify your strengths and what you are good at. As someone said above, careers are rarely linear and the skills you have already developed through your studies and (hopefully) outside interests and activities can be transferred to lots of jobs and sectors. Good Luck.
Hi,

This site is legit for helping figure things out: https://www.careerexplorer.com/

Basically, answer a ton of questions and it will give you a ranked list of suitable careers. You do not need to pay for the extra services btw(i didn't).
If your overall mood is low then be careful about making important decisions whilst feeling like that way. Find a professional /expert who works in careers / education who can sit down with you and go through everything with you. They should have the knowledge/experience to guide you in the right direction based on what you tell them about yourself. They have processes which can actually help you identify what will suit you on both a personality/academic basis. You can do whatever you like with their input. Use it or not. (Having said all that I like to use the process of elimination and then see what’s left on the table and then follow my gut. There might be more chance of error that way but at least I know it was ‘all my own work. Most importantly, taking wrong paths, having to backtrack or taking longer to get there is all OK. It’s life. It will be something you look back on less harshly in years to come than you do now. Find a good place to do your thinking (outdoors amongst some greenery somewhere). Dont take any notice of negative people. Just thank them for their input and then forget it. Take deep breaths. We forget to do so when we are worried. You will sort it so don’t worry now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending