The Student Room Group

Re-taking A-Levels as an adult.

Hi, I could really use some help with a situation I'm in and I figured this would be a good place to ask.

I'm 21 years old and I want to retake my A-Levels. I've just finished 2nd year of English Literature and I don't think this degree is for me honestly.

I'd like to retake A-level Biology, Chemistry and Physics so I can apply for Biomedical Sciences. Is this possible? How do I go about doing this?
I don’t think A levels are necessarily the best course for you to take. Have you considered doing a foundation year or an access course?

Also I’m a bit confused. Do you already have an a level in biology, chemistry and physics?
Reply 2
I have some classmates around your age; and you can still do it. Look for a college near you and apply for A-levels naturally; since you're not 17-19 you'll have to pay a fee (i'm not sure how much it is as i am still at the age tha i get free education.)

You should email the A-leve's department head before application* as they're the ones who will have most information on this topic; hope that helps :')

*(just to ask everything you need beforehand regarding any personal matters or information about the courses, they may redirect you to the subject teacher)
Original post by Tchoepful45
I don’t think A levels are necessarily the best course for you to take. Have you considered doing a foundation year or an access course?

Also I’m a bit confused. Do you already have an a level in biology, chemistry and physics?

yes I have an A level in these subjects but I failed miserably so the grades aren't at the level where universities will accept me. I've spoken to Manchester University and they said if I were to retake then potentially they could take me. I'm just not entirely sure how to go about retaking an A level.
Original post by AJ1NS
I have some classmates around your age; and you can still do it. Look for a college near you and apply for A-levels naturally; since you're not 17-19 you'll have to pay a fee (i'm not sure how much it is as i am still at the age tha i get free education.)

You should email the A-leve's department head before application* as they're the ones who will have most information on this topic; hope that helps :')

*(just to ask everything you need beforehand regarding any personal matters or information about the courses, they may redirect you to the subject teacher)

cool I will try this :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Scoobadoopbop
cool I will try this :smile:

saw that you mentioned that your grades weren't up-to-par, my friend also had this trouble with englit and she's retaking it and is getting on well, so i'm sure they'll accept your application and respond (maybe not a same day response, as many colleges are on a general summer break right now, but a reply should come in a week or so: if not, send another email to their work gmail and not the college one if you can find it on their site)

once again hope this helped :'0
Hi, I could really use some help with a situation I'm in and I figured this would be a good place to ask.

I'm 21 years old and I want to retake my A-Levels. I've just finished 2nd year of English Literature and I don't think this degree is for me honestly.

I'd like to retake A-level Biology, Chemistry and Physics so I can apply for Biomedical Sciences. Is this possible? How do I go about doing this?

1. Immediate issue in that you have used 2 years student finance which means your funding status is degree -1 i.e they will pay maint but only start paying fees from year 2 unless you had some sort of compelling personal reason for failing/ changing.
2. Colleges that do A levels are rare. Most do access. Check your local college.
3. A levels are most flexible, but if you teach yourself then the exams are c £250-400 region. You also need practical endorsements for each science c £800-1200 each subject. You can carry credits forward. No loans for these, unless its a college course.
4. Access course may not be sufficient alone for some unis, but will be for others. Student loans available and takes a year.
5. Start looking at target unis, entrance requirements and how they regard access.

As you see its possible except for the issue at 1.

You can also do a second stem degree, paid for but only part time.

Before you embark on this then have an honest assessment why you failed and whether you can cope with science. rather than do 3 then why not just two i.e chem and bio plus an easier less expensive A level? The key is to do enough of the subjects they want and get the right grades. Dont make it harder for yourself. If you got a good grade in English A then use that plus say Chem and Bio.
Original post by 999tigger
Before you embark on this then have an honest assessment why you failed and whether you can cope with science. rather than do 3 then why not just two i.e chem and bio plus an easier less expensive A level? The key is to do enough of the subjects they want and get the right grades. Dont make it harder for yourself. If you got a good grade in English A then use that plus say Chem and Bio.

yep I spoke to someone from admissions at Manchester Uni and she said the same sort of thing. I've already got Grade B A-Level for english language, so I will only need to re-take Biology and Chemistry.
yep I spoke to someone from admissions at Manchester Uni and she said the same sort of thing. I've already got Grade B A-Level for english language, so I will only need to re-take Biology and Chemistry.

Then everything I said above plus the funding issue. I assume you had already factored this in. Two A levels is a lot easier and cheaper to do than three. Check the course requirements to see if there are any other issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending