The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Temping? I've heard people I know say temping is a really good gap-year job, although I'd find it a bit boring...

I know it's not ideal, but I've got a job full-time in a pub for my gap year. It's walking distance from my house, the hours are flexible and I still have lots of free time for other things, and the pay isn't bad. I'll have saved up enough to go to Australia next summer just by working in the pub hopefully. Not bad. :smile:
Reply 2
Aww wickid gd luck :smile: Australia is my dream! :frown:
thanks! i have family there so it should be great :biggrin:

but yeah, the job doesn't have to be particularly sophisticated - just have a look on www.jobcentrrplus.org.uk and places like that :smile:
TESCO

sad i know, BUT its good money, im doing an office/admin job for around £7.00ph mon-friday just during the summer, which is bringing in a fair £1000+ a month

or look up job centre, call centres, retail?? etc
Reply 5
A gap year at an investment bank could bring you at least 25k +
Reply 6
How would I get into an investment bank? Long hours I presume?

And what A Level's would you need? A's in all I guess?
Reply 7
anna_spanner89
TESCO

sad i know, BUT its good money, im doing an office/admin job for around £7.00ph mon-friday just during the summer, which is bringing in a fair £1000+ a month

or look up job centre, call centres, retail?? etc

This is the type of job i want! was it hard to get? also what experience/grades did they want you to have?
Holamigo
This is the type of job i want! was it hard to get? also what experience/grades did they want you to have?

They just wanted someone with retail and buisness experience with a minimum of 3 D's at a-level, and my as-levels themselves equaled 3 d's
Bateman
A gap year at an investment bank could bring you at least 25k +

oh yes b/c there are a line of IB's just waiting to take on a-level students :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Inter-Company
oh yes b/c there are a line of IB's just waiting to take on a-level students :rolleyes:

Yes there are a few banks willing to take on a few A-level students who would be an asset to their organisation, hence their A-level gap year schemes, the bank of england has one, bank of Scotland has one..

Next time think a second before you try to be funny ok?
hahahahaha.....................

i must phone the bank of england tomorrow and let them know they have become an IB as bateman says they are all of sudden - i'm expecting they will be pretty suprised by this

take your own advice mate and next time 'take a second to think' :rolleyes:
Reply 12
BOE isn't an Ib, no **** sherlock! It does have an Investment related gap year though, their deadline for next years gap year ended a few months ago
I'm not going to give you the links or the bank names, but there are at least 5 banks that run these gap years, but you don't need to worry as they have like 4 places each.
Inter-Company
hahahahaha.....................

i must phone the bank of england tomorrow and let them know they have become an IB as bateman says they are all of sudden - i'm expecting they will be pretty suprised by this

take your own advice mate and next time 'take a second to think' :rolleyes:

Stop being a dick.
You know nothing.
Shut up.

I was interested reading this threads replies because I'm in a similar situation...:smile:
Bateman
BOE isn't an Ib, no **** sherlock! It does have an Investment related gap year though, their deadline for next years gap year ended a few months ago
I'm not going to give you the links or the bank names, but there are at least 5 banks that run these gap years, but you don't need to worry as they have like 4 places each.

what are you on about. Get your facts straight. The BOE Gap year isnt at all IB related. I would say the Big 4 programmes are much better IB related. Rothschild are probably the only ones that do a direct IB gap year program:

http://www.rothschild.com/careers/graduates/eu/article.asp?doc=articles/intern/gapyears
I know nothing about invenstment banking. :smile:

I DO know that loads of hotels look for secretaries with A Level qualifications, as well as offices looking for receptionists. Either that or temping. Temping is probably your best bet. :smile: £7/8 an hour I think.
Reply 16
steve2006
what are you on about. Get your facts straight. The BOE Gap year isnt at all IB related. I would say the Big 4 programmes are much better IB related. Rothschild are probably the only ones that do a direct IB gap year program:

http://www.rothschild.com/careers/graduates/eu/article.asp?doc=articles/intern/gapyears

******, does it matter?!he asked for a gap year programm i gave him one.
Bateman

hahahaha care to make yourself look like a bigger tool?

the BOE gap year has NOTHING, and for your slow brain i'll say it again, NOTHING , to do with IB at all - as pointed out by steve, the big4 gap years are the closest thing you can get

as for 'i'm not going to give you the bank names but they run schemes' - yeah ok mate, (a) i don't need them, and (b) THEY DON'T EXIST!

goodbye :smile:
Cupid Stunt
Stop being a dick.
You know nothing.
Shut up.

described yourself very well there - i wish i could give you a gold star for your efforts :rolleyes:
Reply 19
steve2006

have you heard of analyzing?

Latest