The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Master Polhem
Oh lets be frank; Brookes is a **** university and everyone knows it - no need to be nice about it.

I think the History department would be to differ.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Master Polhem
Oh lets be frank; Brookes is a **** university and everyone knows it - no need to be nice about it.

prove it.
The Boosh
prove it.

No need to I go with public perception.
Master Polhem

Which, of course, is infallible.
Reply 5
Master Polhem

Sorry, try again.
Master Polhem
Nop, that's good enough for me. You want to prove that it is actually a good university then you do the research.

Is public perception good enough for you when you disagree with it? The majority of the public perceive that the theory of evolution is totally false - does that mean that it is therefore false?
Reply 7
Master Polhem

which public?
Reply 8
Master Polhem
Nop, that's good enough for me. You want to prove that it is actually a good university then you do the research.

Fine. In my subject, history, I personally know one of the academics teaching there, he is arguably the leading political theorist of fascism working in the country at the moment. They produce excellent work in the history of medicine, and have other very active interdisciplinary research groups in sociocultural history. As a history school, it outranked it's older sister in the 2001 RAE being one of only 5 or 6 departments in the country to receive a 5* research rating.

It's as respectable as history departments come, and indicates to me that it is a perfectly fine university.

Of course, you could go with public perception - 'Oh Noes, itz a Poly lol'.
The Boosh
which public?

I can tell you are a social scientist!

It took me ages to realise that when people were talking about 'publics' they weren't making typos.
Tomber

Of course, you could go with public perception - 'Oh Noes, itz a Poly lol'.

OMG it is a poly, fret for you will all perish of ignorce.
Master Polhem

what kind of measures to you expect us to use?

do we use the rae? if so, it has departments with a 5-5* rating (e.g. english, history and languages).

do we use the qaa? if so, it has 20 subjects rated "excellent" for teaching,

do we use the student satisfaction scores? if we do, the teaching standards are judged by the students to be particularly high, higher than about 90 other universities.

do we use graduate prospects? if so, then we can see that they are higher than students from reading and sussex etc, whilst being only shortly behind manchester, exeter, birmingham and york.

do we use the esrc-approved status that some of the departments have (e.g. the oxford and brookes joint graduate psychology programmes), which offers students doctoral scholarships?

i think it's safe to say that oxford brookes can provide a good level of education and your sweeping generalisations are unfounded and quite frankly, pointless.
Reply 12
While this is an interesting discussion, I would like to remind posters that I am trying to determine my future plans, so I can't help but find this rather irksome. I am not looking for contributors to plan my whole life for me but some on topic advice would be much appreciated, or at least not redirect my thread so as to discourage others from making useful posts.

Apologies for my impatience, but I hope you can understand where I am coming from.
swami
While this is an interesting discussion, I would like to remind posters that I am trying to determine my future plans, so I can't help but find this rather irksome. I am not looking for contributors to plan my whole life for me but some on topic advice would be much appreciated, or at least not redirect my thread so as to discourage others from making useful posts.

Apologies for my impatience, but I hope you can understand where I am coming from.

No offence, but I can't see why arguing about the academic quality of Brookes isn't of importance to you, after all that is what you are concern with, isn't it?
swami

Now this is where my unintentioned snobbery comes in. My first issue is a pyschological one about going from Oxford to Brookes. This is however an issue I need to deal with myself. The second is the quality of the course.

i thought we were addressing these issue through the debate, i.e. the worry of the quality of brookes/being snobby towards brookes because of such worry about quality.
The Boosh

i think it's safe to say that oxford brookes can provide a good level of education and your sweeping generalisations are unfounded and quite frankly, pointless.

Let me give you my perspective: the students who study are a sorry excuse for 'students' they might be satisfied but they are quite frankly dumb as ****. I have lived with a couple of oxford brookes students for a few months and here is the impression I got:

1. Their course material is A-level material
2. They hardly ever work because they don't really have anything to do
3. They went out 4-5 nights a week implying the above
4. Their course material was downright wrong - I know because I corrected the lecturers maths and physics more than once when I was helping them out.

Naturally I am generalising, I know that they have a good automotive engineering department for example.

But impression is along with everyones else's who is not a postgrad: Brookes is crap.
Master Polhem
Let me give you my perspective: the students who study are a sorry excuse for 'students' they might be satisfied but they are quite frankly dumb as ****. I have lived with a couple of oxford brookes students for a few months and here is the impression I got:

1. Their course material is A-level material
2. They hardly ever work because they don't really have anything to do
3. They went out 4-5 nights a week implying the above
4. Their course material was downright wrong - I know because I corrected the lecturers maths and physics more than once when I was helping them out.

We've been here before and I didn't think much of it then. I used to go out 4-5 nights a week too, so what? I was taught stuff that was wrong as well from time to time. What exactly do they study? You were reluctant to tell me last time.

But impression is along with everyones else's who is not a postgrad: Brookes is crap.

Well, to be fair you generalise your impression to 'everyone else' without a shred of justification. Also, to quote the pope 'Truth is not subject to majority opinion' - especially when that majority know so little about a university as to believe selected anecdotal examples are generalisable.
Reply 17
I may be heading for a 2:2, but even simple old me can recognise that the above discussion is of no use to me. I asked about the quality of the course, which I accept is inextricably linked to the quality of the institution but I already know enough about the institution.

Also, if you notice in my first post I clearly stated that my snobbery is an issue which I said I would deal with myself.

Don't you think your debate could be better served by starting your own topic as opposed to hijacking mine and then struggling to justify its relevance to the original post? I appreciate it is a public forum, but I ask you again to try and understand why this annoys me.

If you move your debate elsewhere, and there are no more replies to my topic at least I know the topic is dead I will stop looking to see if anyone has added any further advice.
ChemistBoy
We've been here before and I didn't think much of it then. I used to go out 4-5 nights a week too, so what? I was taught stuff that was wrong as well from time to time. What exactly do they study? You were reluctant to tell me last time.

I didn't want to completely and utterly shatter your argument but they are/were studing religion and history.

You went to St Andrew's, there is a massive difference between it and Brookes - the latter being an excuse for education rather than a goal.

Just because you were taught stuff that was wrong does not justify the fact. And I seriously question if your lecturers contradicted Newton's first law of motion.

chemistboy

Well, to be fair you generalise your impression to 'everyone else' without a shred of justification. Also, to quote the pope 'Truth is not subject to majority opinion' - especially when that majority know so little about a university as to believe selected anecdotal examples are generalisable.

How big a sample do I need your highness?
swami
I may be heading for a 2:2, but even simple old me can recognise that the above discussion is of no use to me. I asked about the quality of the course, which I accept is inextricably linked to the quality of the institution but I already know enough about the institution.

Also, if you notice in my first post I clearly stated that my snobbery is an issue which I said I would deal with myself.

Don't you think your debate could be bettered served by starting your own topic as opposed to hijacking mine and then struggling to justify its relevance to the original post? I appreciate it is a public forum, but I ask you again to try and understand why this annoys me.

If you move your debate elsewhere, and there are no more replies to my topic at least I know the topic is dead I will stop looking to see if anyone has added any further advice.

Maybe you will take comfort in that our discussion about this topic may affect your decission to study at Brookes or not. Something, I believe, is relevant to your future career.

Latest

Trending

Trending