The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

During fresher's week you have a meeting with your DoS (Director of Studies), and you pick your courses then.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
ok thanks so much for the answer i was starting to get really nervous.
Reply 3
even after you picked. and attended a few, you can still change if you want to /need to
Reply 4
On this note does anyone know when/how we pick second year classes?
I suppose it happens during freshers' week. You'll probably have to arrange a meeting with your DoS etc. We already had this pre-registration thing with the School of Biology, but it's not official, and I guess not every school does that.
Obscured
On this note does anyone know when/how we pick second year classes?

Your school should contact you about this, most likely by e-mail. If you still haven't heard anything by now, I'd advise you to contact your DoS.
Are there any science students that know what courses they've picked for 3rd year? I've chosen my courses for evo bio but wasn't sure when I should hear back? My flatmates on arts courses picked months ago...
michaela_banana
Are there any science students that know what courses they've picked for 3rd year? I've chosen my courses for evo bio but wasn't sure when I should hear back? My flatmates on arts courses picked months ago...

They'll have picked, but they surely won't know for certain whether they're in yet? Most courses don't release details of who's doing what until late August.
Reply 9
Thanks for the reply Michael. I guess I will send my Dos an email. I stupidly thought that I just sorted it all out in freshers week again.
Originally Posted by michaelnicholson88
They'll have picked, but they surely won't know for certain whether they're in yet? Most courses don't release details of who's doing what until late August.

Thanks. Panic over!
2nd year classes were in my case picked by email discussion with my DoS in september last year
Reply 12
I've heard nothing about 2nd year classes yet.
Sorry I was talking about 3rd/4th year classes where you choose in advance. Second year classes are chosen in freshers week with a meeting with your Dos.

However, my flatmate's been told for definite what courses he's doing next year already, so my panic is starting up again (or not so much panic, as anticipation. Desperately trying some self control to not email the professor in charge of my course....)
Reply 14
in freshers week ! dont believe the alternative prospectus. its political !
although do believe the alternative prospectus when it tells you lecture times - 3 of my flatmates assumed "European history lectures are at 9am 3 times a week" was out of date info. Unsurprisingly they slept through the majority of them....
Reply 16
michaela_banana
although do believe the alternative prospectus when it tells you lecture times - 3 of my flatmates assumed "European history lectures are at 9am 3 times a week" was out of date info. Unsurprisingly they slept through the majority of them....

What's this alternative prospectus you speak of!?
Grum Fox
What's this alternative prospectus you speak of!?

A "prospectus" made by the student union to give freshers (and others picking outside courses) an idea of what the courses are really like from a student's point of view. You get it as part of your fresher's pack. It's not something you need to get early, looking at it in fresher's week and picking your courses then is fine. If you are interested in it ahead of receiving your fresher's pack you can use the "course reviewer" which is fairly similar in principle (students reviewing courses) and see what people think of the courses you're interested in.
I remember hearing or reading somewhere that the alternative prospectus wouldn't come out anymore this year because of the course reviewer. At least it says on the freshers' pack description on the EUSA website that the pack includes 'information on the course reviewer' and nothing on the alternative prospectus. I think it's a good idea as such because you will potentially have a chance to read more than one person's opinion on a course, and all the courses (not just the first year ones) are included. But considering the amount of students taking the courses there is very few comments on courses online, some of the courses haven't got any. (I do admit, I've been lazy too, and haven't written anything.)
elisabethbridge
But considering the amount of students taking the courses there is very few comments on courses online, some of the courses haven't got any. (I do admit, I've been lazy too, and haven't written anything.)

GO write it! :p: I'm shocked at how few reviews there are. It has the potential to be great but there aren't as many courses reviewed in it as there have been in the alternative prospectus previously. Not to mention the fact that people have added reviews along the lines of "it was ok, some of the lecturers were ace but there wasn't enough material online" - how is that helpful to anyone? And the fact that noone above first year appears to have added anything, how am I supposed to pick my courses, surely reviews of later courses would be helpful as that's when there's real choice rather than just subjects of interest. But I'm probably a moaning old codger :p:...

...and yes, I had a feeling that the reviews in it were going to be the same as the prospectus, it's a pity if they refuse to do any hard copies but I suppose if it'll help us compete against Reading (or whoever it is that's el presidente's mate who we're competing against in the green stats is) to be greener than a tree, it's all good :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending