The Student Room Group

Switching to engineering from physics

Hey, Im currently studying physics at a decent university but I dont feel as if my career lies in physics and feel as if engineering would lead to a clearer career path. I chose to study physics primarily due to interest but now as im thinking about what I would want to do after I think engineering would offer more exciting opportunities.

Therefore, I just wanted to know what studying mechanical engineering is like and what types of modules you have(how similar are they to physics). I am quite a theoretical person so I was worried that engineering might be too hands on, is this an issue? Also, what types of third year projects do you do? Also, what universities are good for mechanical engineering (other than oxbridge and imperial)?
Most engineering degrees are quite theoretical or at least not too hands on, unless you want it to be then you can join societies which allow you to do more hands on stuff. Many MEng degrees will also have a large practical group project in 3rd or 4th year, alongside your individual project in the other year. Your individual project could really be on anything as long as there's an academic with relevant expertise at the uni, typically there will be a list of projects proposed by academics but some unis will allow or even encourage you to propose your own.

Pretty much anything in the top 20-30 for mechanical engineering is at about the same level, Oxbridge and Imperial included, just find the university you'll be happiest within about those bounds and you'll have a top degree. I'd also add UWE and Oxford Brookes on top of that, which while they don't rank as highly, they have extremely good connections to industry and academia, particularly UWE.

Quick Reply

Latest