The Student Room Group

A bit of History

Im not sure if this is the right forum for this but move it if needs be. Around about the 18th century there was 200 trials carried out in one week by a single judge.I think all of the 200 Defendents where given capital punishment.

I think it was called the bloody mandes or something but im not sure. There is a famous inn or tavern where the judge stayed for the duration of the proceedin

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
rufus_approved
Im not sure if this is the right forum for this but move it if needs be. Around about the 18th century there was 200 trials carried out in one week by a single judge.I think all of the 200 Defendents where given capital punishment.

I think it was called the bloody mandes or something but im not sure. There is a famous inn or tavern where the judge stayed for the duration of the proceedin

Thanks in advance.

What's the question??!
Presumably the name of the inn/tavern.
I think she wants to know who paid the bar bill.

Perhaps she wants to know that it was the Bloody Assizes, startying in late August 1685 in the aftermath of the Battle of Sedgemoor, when over a thousand rebels were tried. Around 300 were hanged, if I remember correctly, with loads more gaoled or transported.
rufus_approved

Thanks in advance.

Wasn't this mentioned in Tony Robinson's Crime and Punishment? It was on Channel 4 on Sunday at 7pm fairly recently. I'll see if I can find some written statistics from the show.

EDIT: Yeah, it's this episode you want.

http://www.channel4.com/video/tony-robinsons-crime-and-punishment/catchup.html

Hope this helps.
I love that spelling of 'gaol'.
Lewisy-boy
I love that spelling of 'gaol'.

The only good one. :wink:
Reply 7
Judge Jeffries and the Bloody Assizes. Prosecution of the Monmouth rebellion agaist King James. Read more about it in "Captain Blood".

Marcus
Yeah its the Bloody Assizes thanks. Im of to do a bit of research.

Latest

Trending

Trending