The Student Room Group

Msc Mechanical Engineering

Looking at doing an MSc in mechanical engineering, however would need to work in order to be able survive, no pot of cash to live on! Anyone know how many hours the course is per week, or how many hours one could realistically expect to work before it started negatively affecting studies?
Thanks in advance
Original post by lank1984
Looking at doing an MSc in mechanical engineering, however would need to work in order to be able survive, no pot of cash to live on! Anyone know how many hours the course is per week, or how many hours one could realistically expect to work before it started negatively affecting studies?
Thanks in advance

Generally I believe MSc courses tend to have the same if not slightly fewer lectures or tutorials a week as undergraduate programs if that gives any indication - the focus will be on the actual MSc itself. Whatever uni you are looking at would be able to give you a more detailed idea of the hours.

The number of hours you can work obviously depends on how many you think you can do! To use myself as an example (I'm doing an MEng, though the contact hours are roughly similar), I'll work anywhere between 4 to 15 hours a week outside of my studies. Since I work at the University itself the hours are quite flexible, and our uni regulations stipulate a maximum working hours per week for students so I know that even doing the maximum, I should be able to get by. I'd recommend getting a part time job with the uni if you can for these reasons - as a Masters student you may be able to assist with teaching undergraduate courses, for example.

Hope that helps somewhat. Good luck with your applications!

Theo
Reply 2
Original post by Herts PG Student Rep
Generally I believe MSc courses tend to have the same if not slightly fewer lectures or tutorials a week as undergraduate programs if that gives any indication - the focus will be on the actual MSc itself. Whatever uni you are looking at would be able to give you a more detailed idea of the hours.

The number of hours you can work obviously depends on how many you think you can do! To use myself as an example (I'm doing an MEng, though the contact hours are roughly similar), I'll work anywhere between 4 to 15 hours a week outside of my studies. Since I work at the University itself the hours are quite flexible, and our uni regulations stipulate a maximum working hours per week for students so I know that even doing the maximum, I should be able to get by. I'd recommend getting a part time job with the uni if you can for these reasons - as a Masters student you may be able to assist with teaching undergraduate courses, for example.

Hope that helps somewhat. Good luck with your applications!

Theo

Thanks for the reply, to make ends meet I’d need about 20 hours per week of work. The beng mech engineering had about 10-12 contact hours per week, and I expected the msc Mechanical Engineering to have about the same if not less. However at Northumbria it seems to be 20-30 contact hours per week over 5 days which is t good for those needing to work through their studies. Unless I am reading the timetable wrong of course!

Quick Reply

Latest