The Student Room Group

University Course Choices

I have looked all over the forum finding out information about Economics and Management but i am still not sure which one to choose. I want to go into banking hopefully but i also want to start my own business and have knowledge of other business areas such as marketing. Below i have listed why i would want to choose economics and why i would want to choose management. I have also listed the negatives.

Economics
-Tells me about the world
- broard range of careers not only related to business
-interesting topics
- broard range of skills needed such as numerical and writing skills
- traditional and respected subject
- there is not many negatives but i wish it could focus more on some business aspects(i did contact university of birmingham who said i can choose some management modules which is very good)

Management
-broad and interesting
- at some university i.e southbank can be to vocational and not enough academics
-range of career paths
- i keep reading that business mangement doesn't have high employment rates

I like both subjects a lot so i considered apply for it combined but only a hand full of universities are doing that course so am not sure whether to do mangament or do economics with some management modules. If anyone has anymore information which can tell me about whether i can take business modules in economics or help with my choice in any way feel free cause am in need of some real guidance.

thanks for your time and help in advance
Why not do both?
Really depends on where you are applying mate. A Management degree from a few universities are good and have good employment rates. Economics at the newer universities are not really that good, and would be better to do management at a better university. Ok, I am not really going anywhere here lol - just go with what you find MORE interesting.
Arsenalforev
I have looked all over the forum finding out information about Economics and Management but i am still not sure which one to choose. I want to go into banking hopefully but i also want to start my own business and have knowledge of other business areas such as marketing. Below i have listed why i would want to choose economics and why i would want to choose management. I have also listed the negatives.

Economics
-Tells me about the world
- broard range of careers not only related to business
-interesting topics
- broard range of skills needed such as numerical and writing skills
- traditional and respected subject
- there is not many negatives but i wish it could focus more on some business aspects(i did contact university of birmingham who said i can choose some management modules which is very good)

Management
-broad and interesting
- at some university i.e southbank can be to vocational and not enough academics
-range of career paths
- i keep reading that business mangement doesn't have high employment rates

I like both subjects a lot so i considered apply for it combined but only a hand full of universities are doing that course so am not sure whether to do mangament or do economics with some management modules. If anyone has anymore information which can tell me about whether i can take business modules in economics or help with my choice in any way feel free cause am in need of some real guidance.

thanks for your time and help in advance

Same situation as me about 12 months ago :smile:
There are a few universities offering a joint course (namely: Oxford, Bristol, St. Andrews, and a few others) and some universities have really similar course structures, ie: I found Industrial Economics at Warwick seemed quite good for this dual requirement.

I would personally pick Economics (although I have chosen the other right now :rolleyes: but my course allows lots of modules in Economics) because its more interesting and certainly more academic. Having said that if you are interested in Management its a great subject as well, some courses are quite different though so look carefully into the course content.

Good luck with the choice. If you are worried about career prospects, neither degree should harm you :wink:
If you're really indifferent between which you think you'll prefer then do economics. Don't underestimate the importance of doing a respected and useful degree - if you're going to spend thousands of pounds getting a qualification then you might as well do the degree with better employment prospects.

I do economics as part of a combined course and it's really really interesting, just so you know. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending