The Student Room Group

Gay and PE in secondary school:

I am currently in high school and I’m openly gay. As in all secondary schools we are required to take part in physical education as it is apparently a law. Personally I do not have an issue with pe I actually like participating in physical activity however it is a very different story in high school because I am marooned from all my friends oh whom are all girls - because pe is segregated by gender. Then obviously I am then expected to do it with the boys however the boys are much more dissimilar than the girls and display a very much subtle hostility towards me as though they don’t want me to be there. For example, when lining up they will never go behind me or in front of me for some reason that I am strongly convinced is because of the fact I’m a homosexual. The fact they do this makes me question myself like I’ve got a disease or something because the boys don’t want to be near me or basically in my presence. Also, when in partner work none of the boys ever want to be with me so I am then quite humiliatingly forced to it with the teacher because frankly I have no one. Also, I was once doing it with a boy because the teacher told him too and whilst doing the activity, which was a quick exercise like squats or something, his friends shouted his name in an asinine manner and were laughing at the fact that he was partnered with me. Also, I’m told to persevere and “try” which I now know is impossible tbh because the boys don’t cooperate with me as they never pass the ball to me, I’m inevitably picked last for the teams ( as the boys says don’t pick me by my name ) and when I’m even unmarked they never pass to me. Incidents like this occur on a regular basis and I have had to actually resort to the sad state of refusing to do pe because it has got to this unfair extent and as a result I’m placed in isolation. I have countlessly alerted the teachers about the huge predicaments regarding pe and they say that they “understand” which I say that they don’t because quite frankly they have never endured what I go through so therefore don’t have any comprehension of it. When I alert them they say it’s the law and a compulsory requirement which In response I say is unfair. Furthermore, I have pe Friday and I wouldn’t say I’m scared but I’m apprehensive because this will escalate and lead to sanctions such as exclusions and ultimately a permanent exclusion due to the fact that my school is very strict. I am in a rather big complication on what to do because I literally don’t know what to do lol. Also I get changed independently which the school have permitted which I must say I am very grateful for however it doesn’t dismiss the fact that I still have to do PE with the boys and I am aware that I can’t do it with the girls because of innumerable reasons but I don’t really know what an alternative is because all I can do is refuse. Also, I have just came back from a pupil referral unit as I was in one for a long story and since I’ve returned the situation has become more problematic as these occurrences were prevalent through year nine and now being in year 10 they are definitely and most certainly occurring on an every basis. As if this, I don’t want to get excluded or receive any permanent sanctions that will prevent from attending my school because I am doing very well academically so I wouldn’t want to ruin that however if I was to get excluded I would still do well lol as I’m very committed and devoted to prospering in life. Also if you respond Thankyou for reading this as it’s so long :smile: does anyone have any advice ??

Scroll to see replies

I am saying this assuming that your parents are aware of the situation? If not then I would definitely alert them about it and tell them how you're feeling (I know its easier said than done but) so they can write to your school. The school sound ignorant towards what you're saying and trying to explain, at my school this has also happened before and they were not forced to do PE as it would have a massive detrimental affect on his mental health. If you get your parents to write to your school explaining the way you are feeling and how you are nervous before PE then they physically cannot disregard your mental wellbeing. I hope it works out in the end, it's an awful situation to be in in which you have done simply nothing wrong. Some schools just don't understand.
Original post by Jakejoyce2016
I am currently in high school and I’m openly gay. As in all secondary schools we are required to take part in physical education as it is apparently a law. Personally I do not have an issue with pe I actually like participating in physical activity however it is a very different story in high school because I am marooned from all my friends oh whom are all girls - because pe is segregated by gender. Then obviously I am then expected to do it with the boys however the boys are much more dissimilar than the girls and display a very much subtle hostility towards me as though they don’t want me to be there. For example, when lining up they will never go behind me or in front of me for some reason that I am strongly convinced is because of the fact I’m a homosexual. The fact they do this makes me question myself like I’ve got a disease or something because the boys don’t want to be near me or basically in my presence. Also, when in partner work none of the boys ever want to be with me so I am then quite humiliatingly forced to it with the teacher because frankly I have no one. Also, I was once doing it with a boy because the teacher told him too and whilst doing the activity, which was a quick exercise like squats or something, his friends shouted his name in an asinine manner and were laughing at the fact that he was partnered with me. Also, I’m told to persevere and “try” which I now know is impossible tbh because the boys don’t cooperate with me as they never pass the ball to me, I’m inevitably picked last for the teams ( as the boys says don’t pick me by my name ) and when I’m even unmarked they never pass to me. Incidents like this occur on a regular basis and I have had to actually resort to the sad state of refusing to do pe because it has got to this unfair extent and as a result I’m placed in isolation. I have countlessly alerted the teachers about the huge predicaments regarding pe and they say that they “understand” which I say that they don’t because quite frankly they have never endured what I go through so therefore don’t have any comprehension of it. When I alert them they say it’s the law and a compulsory requirement which In response I say is unfair. Furthermore, I have pe Friday and I wouldn’t say I’m scared but I’m apprehensive because this will escalate and lead to sanctions such as exclusions and ultimately a permanent exclusion due to the fact that my school is very strict. I am in a rather big complication on what to do because I literally don’t know what to do lol. Also I get changed independently which the school have permitted which I must say I am very grateful for however it doesn’t dismiss the fact that I still have to do PE with the boys and I am aware that I can’t do it with the girls because of innumerable reasons but I don’t really know what an alternative is because all I can do is refuse. Also, I have just came back from a pupil referral unit as I was in one for a long story and since I’ve returned the situation has become more problematic as these occurrences were prevalent through year nine and now being in year 10 they are definitely and most certainly occurring on an every basis. As if this, I don’t want to get excluded or receive any permanent sanctions that will prevent from attending my school because I am doing very well academically so I wouldn’t want to ruin that however if I was to get excluded I would still do well lol as I’m very committed and devoted to prospering in life. Also if you respond Thankyou for reading this as it’s so long :smile: does anyone have any advice ??

Sadly, I think your best chance is to just do PE and deal with it. It sounds like your peers have some pretty big problems if they're picking on you like that. Do you know any other gay guys who are also doing PE? They certainly wouldn't judge you in the same way. I'm a girl but I was always picked last and nobody ever passed to me. I'm straight so it was just me being unpopular, nothing like what you're experiencing I expect. Potentially getting your parents to intervene could help as they're adults so they'll actually be heard. (Unfortunately, kids' voices are irrelevant to a lot of these teachers and school staff members) I was being bullied by text in year 8 (Year 7 for you British people) and got told to kill myself. I showed it to the head of year and was just told to delete it and forget it. Kids simply aren't listened to. They don't care quite enough. I hope you can continue to be strong with it, I know it sucks xx
Reply 3

straight guys in high school can be such immature *****. definitely speak to your head teacher, and your school counselor about this, if they keep ignoring you, just refuse to do PE.
Yes my parents are aware of the situation and Thankyou so much for the reply and due to the fact that it is indeed a compulsory requirement as it is an alleged law, I am reluctant to write to the headteacher because it is obviously a law. And yes I feel that my emotions and mental health being are the mandatory aspects in the shield so if it means that I am issued with an exclusion because of refusal then I am actually and he is rly not bothered because my feelings take dominance over anything and currently I am extremely distressed. As aforementioned Thankyou for the response it really helped that someone additionally understands it xx
I know they are so uneducated and have no respect lol but yes I am just going to persist in refusal because I think that will be the only tactic in easing attention to this because it is a very serious situation x Thankyou for the response
Reply 6
Yes my parents are aware of the situation and Thankyou so much for the reply and due to the fact that it is indeed a compulsory requirement as it is an alleged law, I am reluctant to write to the headteacher because it is obviously a law. And yes I feel that my emotions and mental health being are the mandatory aspects in the shield so if it means that I am issued with an exclusion because of refusal then I am actually and he is rly not bothered because my feelings take dominance over anything and currently I am extremely distressed. As aforementioned Thankyou for the response it really helped that someone additionally understands it xx

maybe tell them that you can still do PE, but in a different group (hell, maybe with girls even? most girls are okay with gay guys)? they might not agree, but at least it will show them that you're trying to find some kind of solution, too.
Thankyou for the response and i have attempted to persevere though all of last year and coming into year 10 the situation has only just increased in severity and I am not willing to endure it anymore lol xx straight boys are just very insolent tbh
Sadly, doing it with the girls is not an option and they said I could possibly not definitely count the scores of the games instead of playing which I find not helpful atall. It still does not dismiss the fact that I am still subjected to working in an environment of insolence where all the boys are still present x
Reply 9
Thankyou for the response and i have attempted to persevere though all of last year and coming into year 10 the situation has only just increased in severity and I am not willing to endure it anymore lol xx straight boys are just very insolent tbh

been there. things will get better in college, so don't give up! hope your teachers will help you solve this situation.
No advice but you speak very eloquently..
Reply 11
Sadly, doing it with the girls is not an option and they said I could possibly not definitely count the scores of the games instead of playing which I find not helpful atall. It still does not dismiss the fact that I am still subjected to working in an environment of insolence where all the boys are still present x

right :/ but yeah, try and speak to your school counselor, maybe even your gp, tell them the situation is making you depressed and anxious, they might start taking you more seriously
That is what my mum says and yes I can’t wait to leave school and hopefully they get better. Thankyou for the advice and motivation xD
Thankyou i do indeed have a flair for eloquence xD
Yes I am going to write up the paragraph I wrote above about the whole situation on a computer I think for teachers to read because it is based off the real incidents that occur during pe lessons. Also do you think there is anything I could add for informative ,comprehensive reasons
Reply 15
Yes I am going to write up the paragraph I wrote above about the whole situation on a computer I think for teachers to read because it is based off the real incidents that occur during pe lessons. Also do you think there is anything I could add for informative ,comprehensive reasons

just make sure to use the word depressed, lol. they'll take you a bit more seriously, hopefully.
Can you get your parents to sign a form that you will do x amount hrs of PE every week in your own time and therefore not have to do it at school? Other people are completely home schooled, like every day, and have nothing to do with a conventional school. you'd only be asking for one lesson to be done outside of school.
ps. impressive vocabulary, I can see you are very academic. x
Hey, I am in year 11, and an openly gay guy. Thankfully people in my school are accepting however there is a few, as there always is. Before I came out those few made 'jokes' and people questioned me and placed me in an awkward situation, and for a few weeks after I came out those few made 'jokes' again, I was even told to go back to gay camp and people would say things in the changing room. Thankfully that has since stopped and my friendship group has made it clear that if anyone says anything there will be trouble. I would say as advice, definitely get your parents involved as if the school is clear they are forcing you due to the legal aspects, say you want to carry on and enjoy carrying on but the 'jokes' and things that are happening are having a serious effect on your mental health. I have always been picked last for teams etc however that is because I cannot play hockey to save my life, but if it is because you are gay and don't have friends in the guys due to this then you could also try and get this sorted. Try and see if you can just go to the gym (if your school has one) during your sports lessons. If the school refuses to pay attention then take it higher - I would say email in this order, carrying on if nothing happens, sports teachers -> head of sports -> head of year -> deputy head pastoral -> headteacher -> governors. If nothing happens then I am so sorry however don't feel scared to express yourself as I have definitely felt this way before. Even if the teachers don't change the PE situation then they should still pay attention to the homophobia that is being expressed as it must be against your school rules and could come under bullying. I hope it all gets sorted out for you, but never let it affect your academics as that is when its gone too far. Sorry this is so long lol but I wanted to say everything to try and help you. good luck my guy <3
(edited 4 years ago)
Omg Thankyou so much xD
That is such a good alternative omg Thankyou xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending