The Student Room Group

Gay and PE in secondary school:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jakejoyce2016
I am currently in high school and I’m openly gay. As in all secondary schools we are required to take part in physical education as it is apparently a law. Personally I do not have an issue with pe I actually like participating in physical activity however it is a very different story in high school because I am marooned from all my friends oh whom are all girls - because pe is segregated by gender. Then obviously I am then expected to do it with the boys however the boys are much more dissimilar than the girls and display a very much subtle hostility towards me as though they don’t want me to be there. For example, when lining up they will never go behind me or in front of me for some reason that I am strongly convinced is because of the fact I’m a homosexual. The fact they do this makes me question myself like I’ve got a disease or something because the boys don’t want to be near me or basically in my presence. Also, when in partner work none of the boys ever want to be with me so I am then quite humiliatingly forced to it with the teacher because frankly I have no one. Also, I was once doing it with a boy because the teacher told him too and whilst doing the activity, which was a quick exercise like squats or something, his friends shouted his name in an asinine manner and were laughing at the fact that he was partnered with me. Also, I’m told to persevere and “try” which I now know is impossible tbh because the boys don’t cooperate with me as they never pass the ball to me, I’m inevitably picked last for the teams ( as the boys says don’t pick me by my name ) and when I’m even unmarked they never pass to me. Incidents like this occur on a regular basis and I have had to actually resort to the sad state of refusing to do pe because it has got to this unfair extent and as a result I’m placed in isolation. I have countlessly alerted the teachers about the huge predicaments regarding pe and they say that they “understand” which I say that they don’t because quite frankly they have never endured what I go through so therefore don’t have any comprehension of it. When I alert them they say it’s the law and a compulsory requirement which In response I say is unfair. Furthermore, I have pe Friday and I wouldn’t say I’m scared but I’m apprehensive because this will escalate and lead to sanctions such as exclusions and ultimately a permanent exclusion due to the fact that my school is very strict. I am in a rather big complication on what to do because I literally don’t know what to do lol. Also I get changed independently which the school have permitted which I must say I am very grateful for however it doesn’t dismiss the fact that I still have to do PE with the boys and I am aware that I can’t do it with the girls because of innumerable reasons but I don’t really know what an alternative is because all I can do is refuse. Also, I have just came back from a pupil referral unit as I was in one for a long story and since I’ve returned the situation has become more problematic as these occurrences were prevalent through year nine and now being in year 10 they are definitely and most certainly occurring on an every basis. As if this, I don’t want to get excluded or receive any permanent sanctions that will prevent from attending my school because I am doing very well academically so I wouldn’t want to ruin that however if I was to get excluded I would still do well lol as I’m very committed and devoted to prospering in life. Also if you respond Thankyou for reading this as it’s so long :smile: does anyone have any advice ??

How about you start looking like a girl.
If you already are, then you can change with the boys but do pe with the girls. Boys are sh!t and annoying as fok
You are so strong. Most people will just have to do PE with the girls, but you are something else. You have the courage and this is an amazing big paragraph that your teachers need to see. In fact, you need to keep telling your teachers what's happening. Do not miss a single detail. If they still don't do anything, I'm not saying march down the road with one hundred people shouting LGBTQ . Although that would go viral, what I'm saying is annoy your teachers. Snitch everything they do to you. Soon enough they will be so pissed at you. Make them think that you will never stop. They'd obviously want to do something, anything to keep your mouth shut, so you will need to let them know that you won't stop until something is done and homophobia is gone. At first you might get to do PE with the girls, hopefully. But there'll still be homophobia in classes, right? Make sure you annoy the teachers until they finally make the boys shut up and behave themselves. I mean a single look, tell the teachers, a single whisper. Soon enough the boys wont even dare calling you a snitch, that's how scared they will be. Keep snitching....you cant possibly get kicked out for snitching to a teacher about people bullying you...right? so keep going and every now and then, just casually remind them that you will keep snitching until a.there is no more tension between the boys and you b. no more homophobia c.you are satisfied and comfortable. Even though I don't you, you sound very determined. I don't want you to feel or go through anymore pain. Atleast just try my advice and if it doesn't work...then find something else that will...ok?Thanks, and good luck. You're not alone. OK let's face it there will be tension obv but better than before. You won't be fully satisfied but better than before. Just keep going and the one thing you can stop, is the dirty looks, whispers and you being picked last or not having a partner. lOVEYOULOTS BYEEE!
I'm not gay but I am a nerd which socially ostracizes me from all the 'cool' people. My school takes 3 classes and splits them into a boys group, a girls group and a mixed group. Although I am not inept at sport and physical activity I get pigeonholed as a nerd and people don't think I can have any sporting ability. However, as I am In the mixed group there isn't (what I view as) the toxic hyper-masculine doesn't permeate into my group much and I am better accepted there.
You could suggest the instigation of a mixed group to your school although I appreciate that it wouldn't be terribly easy for your school to implement but it's worth a punt.

I hope your situation improves. :smile:
Original post by Jakejoyce2016
I am currently in high school and I’m openly gay. As in all secondary schools we are required to take part in physical education as it is apparently a law. Personally I do not have an issue with pe I actually like participating in physical activity however it is a very different story in high school because I am marooned from all my friends oh whom are all girls - because pe is segregated by gender. Then obviously I am then expected to do it with the boys however the boys are much more dissimilar than the girls and display a very much subtle hostility towards me as though they don’t want me to be there. For example, when lining up they will never go behind me or in front of me for some reason that I am strongly convinced is because of the fact I’m a homosexual. The fact they do this makes me question myself like I’ve got a disease or something because the boys don’t want to be near me or basically in my presence. Also, when in partner work none of the boys ever want to be with me so I am then quite humiliatingly forced to it with the teacher because frankly I have no one. Also, I was once doing it with a boy because the teacher told him too and whilst doing the activity, which was a quick exercise like squats or something, his friends shouted his name in an asinine manner and were laughing at the fact that he was partnered with me. Also, I’m told to persevere and “try” which I now know is impossible tbh because the boys don’t cooperate with me as they never pass the ball to me, I’m inevitably picked last for the teams ( as the boys says don’t pick me by my name ) and when I’m even unmarked they never pass to me. Incidents like this occur on a regular basis and I have had to actually resort to the sad state of refusing to do pe because it has got to this unfair extent and as a result I’m placed in isolation. I have countlessly alerted the teachers about the huge predicaments regarding pe and they say that they “understand” which I say that they don’t because quite frankly they have never endured what I go through so therefore don’t have any comprehension of it. When I alert them they say it’s the law and a compulsory requirement which In response I say is unfair. Furthermore, I have pe Friday and I wouldn’t say I’m scared but I’m apprehensive because this will escalate and lead to sanctions such as exclusions and ultimately a permanent exclusion due to the fact that my school is very strict. I am in a rather big complication on what to do because I literally don’t know what to do lol. Also I get changed independently which the school have permitted which I must say I am very grateful for however it doesn’t dismiss the fact that I still have to do PE with the boys and I am aware that I can’t do it with the girls because of innumerable reasons but I don’t really know what an alternative is because all I can do is refuse. Also, I have just came back from a pupil referral unit as I was in one for a long story and since I’ve returned the situation has become more problematic as these occurrences were prevalent through year nine and now being in year 10 they are definitely and most certainly occurring on an every basis. As if this, I don’t want to get excluded or receive any permanent sanctions that will prevent from attending my school because I am doing very well academically so I wouldn’t want to ruin that however if I was to get excluded I would still do well lol as I’m very committed and devoted to prospering in life. Also if you respond Thankyou for reading this as it’s so long :smile: does anyone have any advice ??

Does your school have a mixed group? If so then ask to be moved to it. If they won't let you, then ask your parents to contact the school.
Also I'd urge you to report homophobic behaviour, it isn't snitching. The Police around here (Norfolk area) are bent and only take hate crime seriously, they tend to ignore any other type of crime until the offender has gone home. Which is ridiculous, and wrong, but the way it is. Hopefully it won't come to Police involvement anyway, but on the off chance the situation escalates, then you are helping your case by reporting every homophobic action against you. Trust me, I've been there myself. And I'm not even gay!
Original post by CletusPotter
Does your school have a mixed group? If so then ask to be moved to it. If they won't let you, then ask your parents to contact the school.

Precisely my point. I think all schools should have one that you can choose to be in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending