The Student Room Group

Is teaching a profressional job?

Teaching is a highly respected job, it's only behind being a doctor or scientist. You need a degree to enter the grad level training course.

Yet since starting my PGCE I wonder how professional this role is, or maybe it's just a bad time for the profession?

For example, on my course, some students have been removed from their first placement and should of failed but are being allowed to continue (I came pretty close myself).

At my school most of the teachers are spending lots of their own money - one quoted me £100 per term on supplies. Could you imagine this in other professions?

In interviews, you are often expected to be questioned by a student panel. Again something that happens in no other profession.

It's not a black or white answer for me but it's looking a very pale shade of grey.
Original post by Sceptical_John
Teaching is a highly respected job, it's only behind being a doctor or scientist. You need a degree to enter the grad level training course.

Yet since starting my PGCE I wonder how professional this role is, or maybe it's just a bad time for the profession?

For example, on my course, some students have been removed from their first placement and should of failed but are being allowed to continue (I came pretty close myself).

At my school most of the teachers are spending lots of their own money - one quoted me £100 per term on supplies. Could you imagine this in other professions?

In interviews, you are often expected to be questioned by a student panel. Again something that happens in no other profession.

It's not a black or white answer for me but it's looking a very pale shade of grey.

Well there are professional standards so it's a profession. There's a register of teachers which people can be removed from.

You do know doctors are allowed resits during their courses? How is what you describe any different?

The teachers you've met have chosen to use their own money - not everyone does. This does not stop them being professionals ...

What wrong with a student panel? You get patient panels in GP interviews - students are the 'customers' after all.
Of course it's a professional job.
Yes it is a professional professional although standards vary across schools. However, when it works, here is why it is professional:
- You require specific academic requirements to qualify
- You have a one year assessed probationary period
- You work to a set of standards that you are held to account against
- You are judged on your performance and paid accordingly

As for being interviewed by students - they are your clients. If you can't convince them you should work in education why should you get a job? In other industries you may be asked to sell something to customers or do a job related test or task as part of the interview process. Is this not the same thing?

Finally - your friends who should have been booted out. I completely agree but it is political. There is a massive pressure on training providers to put as many people through training as possible to fill the teacher shortage. The trouble, is that these people won't last the distance so it is all a waste of everyone's time and tax payers money.

Good luck!
Original post by Muttley79
Well there are professional standards so it's a profession. There's a register of teachers which people can be removed from.

You do know doctors are allowed resits during their courses? How is what you describe any different?

The teachers you've met have chosen to use their own money - not everyone does. This does not stop them being professionals ...

What wrong with a student panel? You get patient panels in GP interviews - students are the 'customers' after all.

Thank you for the spirited replies everyone

Problem is not resits but people who should have failed being signed of regardless. That is very, very different to resits.

Are there really patient panels for GP interviews? I would love to see some solid evidence of this. As for what's wrong with student panels that's a whole new thread in itself.

As said I'm not saying it's not a professional job, just that at times it feel very amaturish
Original post by ByEeek

As for being interviewed by students - they are your clients. If you can't convince them you should work in education why should you get a job? In other industries you may be asked to sell something to customers or do a job related test or task as part of the interview process. Is this not the same thing?

Good luck!

Hi ByEeek

To be clear I am absolutely fine with a teacher being expected to do a lesson or even two in an interview as that's the job. From that it should be clear to anyone watching if they are competent enough, can build a report with students etc. I have no idea what students asking random questions about favourite hobbies are and what team I support has any relevance for my ability to get kids to learn (and yes there are much worse questions being asked).
Plus students have little to no idea what good teaching is. In my experience kids like teachers who give them an easy time or are attractive and look like them. They are open to unconscious bias (just like anyone else I guess but probably less aware of it).

Ultimately there is no evidence whatsoever (and I would love to be proved wrong here) that children have any ability to know what good teaching is. The whole exercise is a gimmick (something which teaching suffers) to make schools look inclusive.
Hi ByEeek

To be clear I am absolutely fine with a teacher being expected to do a lesson or even two in an interview as that's the job. From that it should be clear to anyone watching if they are competent enough, can build a report with students etc. I have no idea what students asking random questions about favourite hobbies are and what team I support has any relevance for my ability to get kids to learn (and yes there are much worse questions being asked).
Plus students have little to no idea what good teaching is. In my experience kids like teachers who give them an easy time or are attractive and look like them. They are open to unconscious bias (just like anyone else I guess but probably less aware of it).

Ultimately there is no evidence whatsoever (and I would love to be proved wrong here) that children have any ability to know what good teaching is. The whole exercise is a gimmick (something which teaching suffers) to make schools look inclusive.

That's not the purpose of a student panel interview - any school that does not check the questions are appropriate should not be looked at. I interview and help appoint a lot of staff - students don't 'judge' the lessons that's not why they are used. Have you actually had any proper interviews for a teaching post?

Plus students have little to no idea what good teaching is.

That's a bit patronising. Two weeks ago I listened to Y10 students give an excellent presentation to all teachers in our school about what they prefer in lessons. Amongst other things they liked frequent testing and revision lessons. They also mentioned solo lessons which has opened my eyes to a completely new arm of pedagogy.

Successful schools are schools that put students at the centre of teaching and learning. If good teaching comes from meeting the needs of all students, knowing and understanding the needs of each context and class is essential. Having students have a voice in interviewing new teachers is part of that trust.

Besides, for a prospective teacher being interviewed by students is fab because you can probe what the school is actually like.

I say it's a professional job and yes there's flaws that need to be addressed in teaching.
Though I wouldn't say it's "behind a doctor or scientist". If you needed a PhD and to study for almost a decade, then sure, but you don't.
You're on the same wage as everyone else is on who have a degree and go into a degree required position, except you're overworked and do work out of paid hours which isn't fair.
Original post by ByEeek
That's a bit patronising. Two weeks ago I listened to Y10 students give an excellent presentation to all teachers in our school about what they prefer in lessons. Amongst other things they liked frequent testing and revision lessons. They also mentioned solo lessons which has opened my eyes to a completely new arm of pedagogy.

Besides, for a prospective teacher being interviewed by students is fab because you can probe what the school is actually like.

I don't think it's patronising at all to say students do not know what good teaching as from what I've read of some of the most highly respected educationalists such as Dylon Wiliam or Becky Allen both state that it's incredibly hard to know for them.

Maybe you can get some insights into the school there. But how carefully selected are these panels? Again perhaps there is a false impression being created. Someone else asked have I had any interviews. Only two one panel was fine the other asked quite useless questions and was a waste time but I've also heard much worse from colleagues ie being asked to sing a chorus from their favourite song. Very demeaning.
Original post by -Eirlys-
I say it's a professional job and yes there's flaws that need to be addressed in teaching.
Though I wouldn't say it's "behind a doctor or scientist". If you needed a PhD and to study for almost a decade, then sure, but you don't.
You're on the same wage as everyone else is on who have a degree and go into a degree required position, except you're overworked and do work out of paid hours which isn't fair.

Behind in respected professions in uk opinion polls is what I meant there. ie politicians and estate agents at the bottom.

A lot of people in teaching complain about the pay but I think it's pretty fair in that sense given the holidays.
I wouldn't hire you. You seem to take yourself far too seriously. The days of teacher knows best is long gone. Classroom dynamics are much more fluid and if engaging a class means you have to sing your favourite chorus, you sing your favourite chorus. Lighten up. Why shouldn't your clients interview you?

Children are very aware of what good teaching is, they sit through it five days a week for the first 15 years of their lives. Always remember to strip it back to what it is, you are making an impact on children's learning. Everything you do is about the children you are teaching, and the teaching will adapt to the different children you have in your class. There isn't a checklist where you tick off 'good teaching'. Good teaching for one child will look different to another. Realistically, we can't judge your teaching in an interview anyway. You can't judge teaching in one morning. We're looking at your interactions with the children.

Also, the student panel should be the enjoyable part of the interview. That is why you have gone into the profession, to work with children. Don't view it as an assessment, just an informal chat with your new students. Ask them lots of questions too.
I don't think it's patronising at all to say students do not know what good teaching as from what I've read of some of the most highly respected educationalists such as Dylon Wiliam or Becky Allen both state that it's incredibly hard to know for them.

Maybe you can get some insights into the school there. But how carefully selected are these panels? Again perhaps there is a false impression being created. Someone else asked have I had any interviews. Only two one panel was fine the other asked quite useless questions and was a waste time but I've also heard much worse from colleagues ie being asked to sing a chorus from their favourite song. Very demeaning.

I am probably in the minority when I say that I agree with you. The teaching profession often goes through different phases. The current mood of teaching has become obsessed with making teaching more 'student-centered.' That's good but not to the extreme point of having the teacher's role completely erased from the classroom.

I think student panels can be a good thing but only if the students ask insightful/thoughtful questions. Questions like 'Which football team do you support?' are a waste of everyone's time and make these student panels seem like the SLTs way of trying too hard to be like a diet Summerhill School. Panels that have students asking meaningful/thoughtful questions can be a good way for the school to demonstrate the high expectations they have of students that they expect you to support as a teacher.
Teachers have rather little power to control and shape their profession and professional practice. Politics and politicians are heavily involved in education, bringing in and shaping the recent Teachers Standards, academisation, various iterations of the National Curriculum etc. The Teacher Standards are arguably behaviourist in orientation and there is little space and time afforded by schools and government towards professional development of teachers, especially at classroom practioner level. When I did my PGCE, teachers in day to day classroom practice had their professional agency constrained in many ways. e.g. my school had a policy of clearly stating lesson objectives, whilst this is important I felt that sometimes discussing lesson objectives hindered surprise, intrigue and critical and creative thinking opportunities. My hands were tied though.

The OP makes a point about people removed from placements but then continuing and passing. In many subjects there is a teacher shortage and ITE providers are desperate to ensure as many of their students pass. I went to a very good ITE provider but I was not impressed with the lack of scrutiny of my QTS file.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending