The Student Room Group
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website

Any other mature students starting in edge hill come september

Hey everyone,

I'm David and ill be 25 when I start my creative writing degree at edge hill in September. I attended the open day and found very few mature students attending, so I was wondering if anyone else is going to edge hill in September.

Also are there any other mature students on here who will also be living on campus too, feel like I'm the only one haha.

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I’ll be 23 when I start nursing, I’m thinking about living on campus but I’m close enough to commute 🤔
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website
Reply 2
Ah cool, so I won't be the only mature student on campus then haha.:smile: It's funny I don't even feel like a mature student but if you're over 21 then you're classed as one apparently. I wish I lived close enough to commute instead of stay on campus, To be honest, I'm rather excited at the prospect of living on campus but also terrified at the same time. Do you live in Ormskirk then?
No, you definitely won't, from what I've seen there is a mix of ages across most courses, and I'm really tossing up the cost of living on campus and having a 'uni' social life and living at home (about 40mins walk from the Uni), but if I live at home I have my car and therefore have the freedom that I'm used to, but I don't like the thought of not having my car at uni, especially during placements!
Reply 4
I know I dont want to give up my car in September but I wont be able to bring it with me so I'll have to prepare for three years of no driving at least I wont have to shell out on car insurance haha
Original post by davidj95
I know I dont want to give up my car in September but I wont be able to bring it with me so I'll have to prepare for three years of no driving at least I wont have to shell out on car insurance haha

Most student houses have parking, especially when you're living off-campus, so it might only have to be the first year that you have to do without! Have you applied for accommodation yet?
Reply 6
Ah right well a year isn't too bad I can last that without a car haha, I haven't applied for accommodation yet as I'm still looking into some different options but since ill be moving away from home to Ormskirk it's looking likely that I will be applying for on-campus living at least for the first year anyway.
Ah right well a year isn't too bad I can last that without a car haha, I haven't applied for accommodation yet as I'm still looking into some different options but since ill be moving away from home to Ormskirk it's looking likely that I will be applying for on-campus living at least for the first year anyway.

I can’t believe how expensive halls are! I’ve been looking into them too as I have a couple of options lined up but ideally I’d like to be on campus for the first year and then move in with a friend who already has a house not far from the uni
Reply 8
Yeah living on campus is pretty expensive but it just seems easier with all the bills inclusive of the rent plus it saves the hassle of actively looking for a property outside of uni haha
Yeah living on campus is pretty expensive but it just seems easier with all the bills inclusive of the rent plus it saves the hassle of actively looking for a property outside of uni haha

And halls have the advantage of being able to meet people outside of your course, rather than simply finding a room, where everyone else in the house may know each other....
hi! i'm 22 and i'm starting a creative writing degree in September too! i'm living on campus also and I was so scared I'd be the only 'mature' student there but i feel so much better now thank god!
Original post by lys_natasha
hi! i'm 22 and i'm starting a creative writing degree in September too! i'm living on campus also and I was so scared I'd be the only 'mature' student there but i feel so much better now thank god!

Have you applied for accommodation yet?
Reply 12
Original post by lys_natasha

Wow, really your doing creative writing too no way haha. Are you doing it on its own or in combination with another subject?
Original post by Becca_H_97
Have you applied for accommodation yet?

i have! i applied a few weeks ago, figured its just easier at least for first year to live on campus and have all the bills and stuff wrapped up in one and paid for like!
Wow, really your doing creative writing too no way haha. Are you doing it on its own or in combination with another subject?

i know how crazy haha- i'm doing english literature with creative writing!
Hi I'm 28 and hopefully starting genetics in sept!
Hello,
Not sure if any of you are still active on here but found this thread and I am hoping to attend Edge Hill in Sept as a mature student myself (I will be 25!!). Was wondering how living in halls went for all of you.. did you find that they group mature students together or were you the oldest with a bunch of 18 year olds?? I'm nervous about mess and noise hahah
Thanks
Original post by chloenewman1
Hello,
Not sure if any of you are still active on here but found this thread and I am hoping to attend Edge Hill in Sept as a mature student myself (I will be 25!!). Was wondering how living in halls went for all of you.. did you find that they group mature students together or were you the oldest with a bunch of 18 year olds?? I'm nervous about mess and noise hahah
Thanks

Hi @chloenewman1 [br] [br] I hope you feeling reassured by the other posts on this page about previous mature students attending Edge Hill :smile: I am a current student and a lot of my friends are older, university really is just a mix of people no one cares how old you are! There are a lot of mature students as well so you defiantly won't feel like you are the only one, for example, two of my work friends are actually 30 in their third year (I am 20), to other people it won't make a difference at all!

I would say that you probably will have a mix of ages in your halls but people are generally really respectful and responsible for keeping their own things clean and tidy and everyone is responsible for the communal area. You will also have cleaner who will come into your halls Monday - Friday and will wipe down the surfaces and take the bins out I believe which helps to keep on top of the communal areas. I personally didn't find the mess or noise too bad but you could always look at getting a studio flat in Ormskirk if you are thinking you wouldn't want to live with other students.

I hope this is helpful!

Katie - Second year Educational Psychology student
35 and starting in September 🤣🤣
Original post by keria.b1
35 and starting in September 🤣🤣

Will you be living in halls or commuting from home?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending