The Student Room Group

Things you wish you were told at the beginning of your AS/A2 year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
that it was going to be the ****tiest 2 years of our lives?
Reply 601
Don't take physics! Oh and don't ever think about procrastination. Don't even think about thinking of procrastination.
Reply 602
Biology and Chemistry will kill you.
"James, its a good idea to go pursue your biking dreams now. You're all set, just go and start racing. You'll be two years ahead! Don't worry, you don't need your A-Levels, everything will be fine! You wont have to worry about exams, or CW or both at the same time. Just go out there and be happy doing your dream career! You don't need to wait two years! Go, now!"

"Gee, thanks Mr. Dawson. My life will be pure gold now!"

*A year and a half down a different path*

"Why, oh why, didn't I take the blue pill?"
Reply 604
- Memorise your books back to front
- AS --> A2 = HUGE step. The amount of work needed is amplified by the dozen.
Reply 605
Original post by Haruhi
- Memorise your books back to front
- AS --> A2 = HUGE step. The amount of work needed is amplified by the dozen.

I found GCSE to AS level a lot more difficult...
takes maths
Reply 607
To do as many maths modules as you can, instead of wasting 1 year doing only c1,c2 and s1/m1/d1.
I would say, start doing LOTS of extra reading around your subject that you intend to take at university so that you can talk about it in your personal statement. I was rejected by three universitys because I didn't talk about the literature related to my subject enough! Wish I knew before :/
Reply 609
Your biology teacher is a prick. Don't do it.
You actually have to work.
You're not naturally clever.
Reply 610
You chose the right subjects, you're clever enough to pass your exams whatever happens, do loads of past papers for maths over and over until you get it, and chill out, because as long as you do some work, you'll be fine.
Chemistry is a waste of time, and taking 5 AS levels is completely un-necessary
Hard work doesn't pay off in itself. Even if you lose your life to studying like an autistic stable boy in the middle of the sahara 4 months before your first exam. You will require a certain level of intelligence aswell, which your genetics fails you then.

Genetic failure... How life kicks you up the ass in the heat of the most important moments, even with insane preperation.
Reply 613
1. Decide what you want to do with your life before you choose your subjects
2. Biology gets stupidly hard, compared with GCSE
3. But in general, it's not as hard as your teachers make out at the beginning to scare you
4. When your teacher tells you to study after each lesson, don't just laugh at her, actually do it
5. Keep on top of work and condense notes as you go along, rather than leaving it all to the revision period
6. Don't buy revision guides if you're not going to use them
7. If you don't have plenty to write about on your personal statement, start doing something now
8. If you were a consistant A grade student at GCSE, don't expect to be at A level. You will probably have to lower your expectations
9. Enjoy it too, have a social life
10. Learn to be self-motivated

I think that sums it up :P
Reply 614
Beginning of year 12:
"You think C1 is hard? Ha Ha Ha, just you wait for A2"
Reply 615
Organising your folder on a friday night is actually more fun than going out with your friends
Organising your folders will become so satisfying
To work harder at AS and enjoy sixth form because it goes fast!!!
Your German class will hate you, don't expect to actually find someone else who even likes the subject.

On the positive side, you will suddenly have the most amazing French teacher ever.

Quick Reply

Latest