The Student Room Group

Which affects a babies health the most, never breastfeeding or smoking in pregnancy?

Which would you say is more harmful to a baby, never breastfeeding or smoking during pregnancy. The answer may seem obvious at first but according to research the health effects of not breastfeeding can extend into adulthood.

For example if a baby was born in the 1970’s or 1980’s and wasnt breastfed, infant formula lacked more nutrients than it does now. The baby would recieve no immunity/hormones and as research states very likely woudnt be getting nutrients needed for optimum nervous/cardiovascular system development. Since a man made formua cannot mimic breast milk.

The risks of smoking when pregnant are documented everywhere and its a huge taboo but does a mother smoking in pregnancy affect adult health, the way that reserach claims not breastfeeding does- reduced IQ/athlerosclerosis etc?

I was at the gp’s today and was reading a poster on the benefits of breastfeeding it just made me wonder.

Scroll to see replies

I would think smoking but no idea
Reply 2
Smoking. You can buy milk from a supermarket for a baby and feed it that instead of from the teat.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Which would you say is more harmful to a baby, never breastfeeding or smoking during pregnancy. The answer may seem obvious at first but according to research the health effects of not breastfeeding can extend into adulthood.

For example if a baby was born in the 1970’s or 1980’s and wasnt breastfed, infant formula lacked more nutrients than it does now. The baby would recieve no immunity/hormones and as research states very likely woudnt be getting nutrients needed for optimum nervous/cardiovascular system development. Since a man made formua cannot mimic breast milk.

The risks of smoking when pregnant are documented everywhere and its a huge taboo but does a mother smoking in pregnancy affect adult health, the way that reserach claims not breastfeeding does- reduced IQ/athlerosclerosis etc?

I was at the gp’s today and was reading a poster on the benefits of breastfeeding it just made me wonder.

my mother smoked when she was pregnant with me. fed me formula, too. i turned out perfectly fine.
Having an abusive boyfriend/husband who likes to punch people in their bellies.

(Disclaimer: Don't report me for going off-topic, I'm trying to make a point)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Ciel.
my mother smoked when she was pregnant with me. fed me formula, too. i turned out perfectly fine.

Its not the feeding of formula (formula in itself is obviusly not harmful) but the recieving of no human milk that apparantly reduces healthy development.
Reply 6
Its not the feeding of formula (formula in itself is obviusly not harmful) but the recieving of no human milk that apparantly reduces healthy development.

i don't really believe that. do any decent studies even support your view?

Most babies in the last few decades have been brought up on formula.
Reply 8
Original post by Ciel.
i don't really believe that. do any decent studies even support your view?

Its not my view its just based on health guidelines and research articles that Ive come across. There are many which link receiving human milk in infacncy with improved child/adult health I couldnt list them all.
Reply 9
Original post by black tea
Most babies in the last few decades have been brought up on formula.

Yes they have, particulalry in first world countries breastfeeding rates are the lowest
Reply 10
Its not my view its just based on health guidelines and research articles that Ive come across. There are many which link receiving human milk in infacncy with improved child/adult health I couldnt list them all.

nah, it's all bull****.
Original post by Ciel.
nah, it's all bull****.

It could be, academics need some way of funding their lifestyles don’t they.
Original post by Ciel.
nah, it's all bull****.

It's not. There are definitely benefits to getting breast milk as a baby, such as reduced risk of various infections. And obviously it saves a LOT of money. I'm not sure that there are long-term advantages though.
Original post by Ciel.
nah, it's all bull****.

(:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
It's not. There are definitely benefits to getting breast milk as a baby, such as reduced risk of various infections. And obviously it saves a LOT of money. I'm not sure that there are long-term advantages though.

really? tbh i don't know much about the topic, for obvious reasosn 😂 but yeah i don't see how could something like that have any long term effects on you
Reply 15
Original post by sammyj97
It’s not. I’m a pharmacy student and we had a lecture last year which briefly covered this.

that's not really proof.
Original post by Ciel.
really? tbh i don't know much about the topic, for obvious reasosn 😂 but yeah i don't see how could something like that have any long term effects on you

Yep. They even give donor breast milk to premature babies whose mums don't want to breast feed for that reason.
Reply 17
Yep. They even give donor breast milk to premature babies whose mums don't want to breast feed for that reason.

hmm, i see. interesting. but yeah, personally i think that genetics play the most important part.
Yes they have, particulalry in first world countries breastfeeding rates are the lowest

why don't first world women breastfeed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending