The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've only had provisional turned down once for changing £200 in to US dollars at a bureau de change, and then they served me anyway :/
When you send off for a provisional license, you have to get a referee over a certain age of certain professions, who isn't in your family to sign it. Quite often, people take it to the post office to save time and not have to pay an extra checking fee, and the person behind the counter checks the application and photo once more. You don't have to repeat this process when you get a full license, you just hand it to your examiner and he sends it off to be replaced with a full license. Therefore, a provisional is no less secure, and if it was in the past then pubs and clubs that don't accept need to move with the times.
Reply 42
Dstbgre
Yeah thats what I thought but some of the clubs in Reading will only accept a full one or a passport.

Which ones? I go into Reading quite a lot and my provisional has never been a problem.
Reply 43
Psyk
Which ones? I go into Reading quite a lot and my provisional has never been a problem.

I certainly remember one of the ones down my the cinema having a sign up a couple of months back saying no provisional driving licenses on it. Think it was Brannigans. There were a couple of others in the center which I saw had similar signs but, as they weren't ones which I frequent, I didn't really take much notice. One of them may have been Varsity but im not sure.
Reply 44
Mad Vlad
Considering that when you send off for your full licence you fill in a form, enclosing your test pass certificate and your old licence, I'd suggest that they merely print you off a new card on pink plastic with a couple of extra letters in the "You're qualified to drive" section.

i think they do more than that because it took longer to get my full driving license through after passng my test than it took to get my provisional after applying for it. I think it takes longer because they have to add you to a massive database or something.

SusDev
How long have these black and white photos been in place? In my work I see a lot of GB licences and have never seen one of them.

Me and all my friends have black and white photos and we all passed in 2008 so it could have been introduced at the start of this year or might have been at the start of 2007
The new style GB license was introduced around June/July 2007 I think

Provisionals can be used as ID for pubs, clubs etc but I know some banks will only accept a full driving license
Reply 46
stargirl001
The new style GB license was introduced around June/July 2007 I think

Provisionals can be used as ID for pubs, clubs etc but I know some banks will only accept a full driving license

yeah i think you're right actually thinking about it I remember some people who passed their driving tests at the start of year 12 (now in yr 13) have a colour photo..and a really bendy card
Reply 47
trey
yeah i think you're right actually thinking about it I remember some people who passed their driving tests at the start of year 12 (now in yr 13) have a colour photo..and a really bendy card

Yeah I passed in 2006 and have a colour photo and my card really does bend. It also just feels like laminated really cheap cardboard/thick paper tbh.
Reply 48
yeah new ones are more rigid and the colour ones have two photos on them instead of one
Bear_Grylls
That reminds me, i need to send of for one of these, how much do they cost, and is doing it online the quickest way? ive got a passport sized photo, but i cant get that online..

You can get a form from your local post office.
I think that's better than doing it online because then theres less chance of things going wrong, and also you can photocopy the form before you send it just incase something does go wrong so that you have proof!
When I sent the form off it took only a week for the license to arrive :smile:
SusDev
How long have these black and white photos been in place? In my work I see a lot of GB licences and have never seen one of them.

That sounds like the exact same process for an NI licence and I suspect they are much the same - can I add that a good number of the authenicators of the photos do actually get checked aswell and we can be very picky with what professions we accept.

How picky? My barber confirmed my identity!
Reply 51
callum9999
How picky? My barber confirmed my identity!

As long as he owns the business that's ok.
Reply 52
Original post by Youngs
£50!!!:eek:

£50 is quite good considering it lasts 20 years and is only £20 to replace as to replacing your passport :biggrin:
Reply 53
I got my provisional a week ago and the picture is black and white, and I had to have someone sign and all to say it was me, and my passport number was checked and all?
Reply 54
Original post by Bethtoo
I got my provisional a week ago and the picture is black and white, and I had to have someone sign and all to say it was me, and my passport number was checked and all?

Not really sure what your question is, but usually we don't reply to threads that were created 7 years ago. If you've got a question about something feel free to start a new thread!
Reply 55
Original post by Bethtoo

Don't bump old threads.

Latest

Trending

Trending