The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Ask a Uni of York Student!

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I’ve firmed York for medicine and will be starting this fall. What college would you suggest? I’m looking for a more quieter place without frequent parties and noise.
University of York
York
Original post by adhyam2003
Hi! I’ve firmed York for medicine and will be starting this fall. What college would you suggest? I’m looking for a more quieter place without frequent parties and noise.

And if possible, could someone tell me about each college individually? I would like to get to know more about all of them.
@CoffeeAndPolitics what's your favourite thing about studying at the University of York
How long does a medicine student usually stay in accommodation? 40 weeks or 44?
Reply 24
Original post by Tinders
@CoffeeAndPolitics what's your favourite thing about studying at the University of York

Good question! There's quite a lot I could add to this question but I would say the academic support that you get at the University of York is really good and this has been recognised in the latest NSS survey. Also, I really enjoy the wildlife around the campus and we have a famous mallard/Indian runner duck known as Long Boi who has since been joined by two other mallard/Indian runner ducks - sadly, I haven't had the opportunity to catch Long Boi on campus. In terms of places to unwind after a tough day/week of studying, my favourite bar on campus has to Courtyard - it's a reasonably large student bar and they have a good selection of food and drinks + have TV screens so you can watch the footie, etc. :smile:
Original post by adhyam2003
And if possible, could someone tell me about each college individually? I would like to get to know more about all of them.

I only really feel qualified to talk about Vanbrugh but @Xenocydi should be able to say more about Halifax!
Vanbrugh is definitely a music-oriented college (partly because this is where the department is based) but you should definitely not let that put you off! Back in the normal times, Vanbrugh has it's own bar and a cool little building called the Warren which is a really nice place to chill if you need to wind down.
Pretty sure we have one of the more active College Committees with frequent events and activities carrying on during lockdown! Vanbrugh is also a big part of college sport with a rugby team etc.
If you want to know more about a specific college, each one should have an Instagram page that you can scroll through and check out!
Original post by barror1
I only really feel qualified to talk about Vanbrugh but @Xenocydi should be able to say more about Halifax!

How did you find the Donald Barron and Barbara Scott accommodation? Was it similar to Alcuin (stereotype of being quiet) or was it more like Derwent and how many were in each block/floor? I've requested Vanbrugh band 3 so just trying to find stuff out about it!:biggrin:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Good question! There's quite a lot I could add to this question but I would say the academic support that you get at the University of York is really good and this has been recognised in the latest NSS survey. Also, I really enjoy the wildlife around the campus and we have a famous mallard/Indian runner duck known as Long Boi who has since been joined by two other mallard/Indian runner ducks - sadly, I haven't had the opportunity to catch Long Boi on campus. In terms of places to unwind after a tough day/week of studying, my favourite bar on campus has to Courtyard - it's a reasonably large student bar and they have a good selection of food and drinks + have TV screens so you can watch the footie, etc. :smile:

aw thank you so much. That sounds so nice. Must look out for Long Boi ahahahaha.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by JOSH4598
How did you find the Donald Barron and Barbara Scott accommodation? Was it similar to Alcuin (stereotype of being quiet) or was it more like Derwent and how many were in each block/floor? I've requested Vanbrugh band 3 so just trying to find stuff out about it!:biggrin:

I lived in Donald Barron in first year and really enjoyed it! From what I've heard it's some of the nicest accommodation on Campus West and it certainly was not quiet :party2: I know some of my flatmates went out really often so no worries there either.
There were 12 of us to a kitchen with 6 to a flat (the kitchen separated the two sides :smile:). Some people in Alcuin party quite hard too so try not to think too hard about what college you are allocated to :laugh: :hugs:
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi. I have confirmed a clearing place at York and looking forward to starting. Must admit tho, haven't visited and only seen youtube videos. A few questions re social life at York.

What's the students' union like, is there a bar and any club (clubbing) nights? Also what's Glasshouse bar like on East campus and does it have much going on there evenings and weekends? What's East campus like in general.., a sociable place and much going on? Lastly, where do people mainly go for drinks and a fun night out, in to York town, and any places you'd recommend?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. I have confirmed a clearing place at York and looking forward to starting. Must admit tho, haven't visited and only seen youtube videos. A few questions re social life at York.

What's the students' union like, is there a bar and any club (clubbing) nights? Also what's Glasshouse bar like on East campus and does it have much going on there evenings and weekends? What's East campus like in general.., a sociable place and much going on? Lastly, where do people mainly go for drinks and a fun night out, in to York town, and any places you'd recommend?

Hey, hope you're doing well!

YUSU (the students' union) is based in a small building in James College and the sabbs and PTOs (Part-Time Officers) work hard to represent students and of course, organise a variety of events and socials. There are 3 bars on Campus West: V-Bar (Vanbrugh), Courtyard and D-Bar (Derwent) and 1 bar on Campus East: Glasshouse (Langwith). This afternoon, there's been a huge announcement from YUSU that Courtyard and Glasshouse will have additional outdoor space which will remain there permanently and there's going to be a new outdoor festival-like space in term 1 on Campus West called 'The Forest' which will be Covid safe.

Glasshouse is a nice student bar which is of a decent size and Campus East colleges run a lot of events and socials there. The food and drinks selection is good and they also show live sports on the big TV screens. As for Campus East itself, it can feel quite quiet because most of the departments and accommodation are over at Campus West (main campus) but you can easily get around between campuses on the 66/66a bus for free. Also, colleges over in Campus East do run regular events and socials and some societies organise stuff on both campuses. My favourite bar on campus has to Courtyard because they have a good selection of food and drinks and space can be transformed for socials like Time Warp.

As for the city centre, there's quite a lot you could do such as visiting The Shambles, York Minster, the National Railway Museum, etc. and there are several nightclubs (though we've already lost a few - YUSU are proactively fighting against that): Revs, Salvos, Kuda, Flares and Society. In terms of best places for drinks in town, you could literally go on a bar crawl and visit places such as Stone Roses, Lowther, etc. (I'm not the right person to ask when it comes to organising bar crawls lol) and ofc, there's Spoons in Merchantgate.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Original post by Kiera123589
Hiya, I’ve firmed York to study Law in September, and can’t decide between colleges. I’m debating between Constantine and langwith as I like them both. What would you say are the stereotypes of both colleges and the pros and cons of each? I like the common room in Constantine and want to know whether langwith offer anything similar? Thanks

Hello everybody!

In these difficult and uncertain times, a lot of universities have cancelled their open days due to the current pandemic, so we've been asked to work collectively and answer any questions you may have about the university. :h:

@barror1 BA English Literature/Linguistics (First Year)
@CoffeeAndPolitics BA Social and Political Sciences (First Year)
@Xenocydi BA Music and Sound Recording (Third Year)

P.S. Here's a lovely picture of Longboi, our resident BNOC! :biggrin:

Hi,

I’ve just been accepted into York, and I’m a little concerned about the diversity of the campus (specifically black students, as I’m about to be one).

As in, I’m sure there’s the odd black student, and that technically counts as diversity. But my concern is that there won’t be enough for me to actually feel at home.
Hey, hope you're doing well!

YUSU (the students' union) is based in a small building in James College and the sabbs and PTOs (Part-Time Officers) work hard to represent students and of course, organise a variety of events and socials. There are 3 bars on Campus West: V-Bar (Vanbrugh), Courtyard and D-Bar (Derwent) and 1 bar on Campus East: Glasshouse (Langwith). This afternoon, there's been a huge announcement from YUSU that Courtyard and Glasshouse will have additional outdoor space which will remain there permanently and there's going to be a new outdoor festival-like space in term 1 on Campus West called 'The Forest' which will be Covid safe.

Glasshouse is a nice student bar which is of a decent size and Campus East colleges run a lot of events and socials there. The food and drinks selection is good and they also show live sports on the big TV screens. As for Campus East itself, it can feel quite quiet because most of the departments and accommodation are over at Campus West (main campus) but you can easily get around between campuses on the 66/66a bus for free. Also, colleges over in Campus East do run regular events and socials and some societies organise stuff on both campuses. My favourite bar on campus has to Courtyard because they have a good selection of food and drinks and space can be transformed for socials like Time Warp.

As for the city centre, there's quite a lot you could do such as visiting The Shambles, York Minster, the National Railway Museum, etc. and there are several nightclubs (though we've already lost a few - YUSU are proactively fighting against that): Revs, Salvos, Kuda, Flares and Society. In terms of best places for drinks in town, you could literally go on a bar crawl and visit places such as Stone Roses, Lowther, etc. (I'm not the right person to ask when it comes to organising bar crawls lol) and ofc, there's Spoons in Merchantgate.

Hi
Since my last post my accommodation has been allocated at James College hall. So could I ask you about this college, the facilities, and the Lounge bar please :smile:

I've also heard York Management School is moving from Campus East in January 2021 to the Science Park near Alcuin College in Campus West. Do you know if the timings are on schedule and the Management School will defo move there in January, as it may influence whether I stay with my allocated James College or try and do a swap to Campus East?

Reply 33
Hi
Since my last post my accommodation has been allocated at James College hall. So could I ask you about this college, the facilities, and the Lounge bar please :smile:

I've also heard York Management School is moving from Campus East in January 2021 to the Science Park near Alcuin College in Campus West. Do you know if the timings are on schedule and the Management School will defo move there in January, as it may influence whether I stay with my allocated James College or try and do a swap to Campus East?

I don't know an awful lot about James College but I know that their accommodation is overpriced (Band 2 shared bathroom and Band 3 ensuite) and that it's entirely catered except for lunch. The college is quite close to the Sports Centre and the lake. The Lounge is a multifunctional space with includes a bar but tbh, I've only been in there on two occasions - academic reps social and the Student Union election results night.

I'm not aware of such news about the York Management School moving over to the Science Park near Alcuin College on Campus West but any planned relocation of departments should be communicated to you in advance of the planned move. I know there's a similar rumour which has been going around for ages about the Sociology Department moving from Wentworth (postgrad college) to Campus East but I haven't heard anything from the department about such a move.

I wouldn't worry too much about your department potentially relocating. It's quite easy to get around between campuses by bus on the 66 and 66a which are free. Just make sure you leave enough time to get from your accommodation to where you need to be on campus as, during busier times, you may have to wait for the next bus because the first bus is full.

Hello everybody!

In these difficult and uncertain times, a lot of universities have cancelled their open days due to the current pandemic, so we've been asked to work collectively and answer any questions you may have about the university. :h:

@barror1 BA English Literature/Linguistics (First Year)
@CoffeeAndPolitics BA Social and Political Sciences (First Year)
@Xenocydi BA Music and Sound Recording (Third Year)

P.S. Here's a lovely picture of Longboi, our resident BNOC! :biggrin:

Hi,

I’ve been accepted into York yesterday, through clearing. And seeing as York wasn’t one of my original choices there’s quite abit I don’t know about the University.

The main thing I’m worried about is diversity. I’m black, and I’m concerned about the amount of other black students at the Uni. As in, I’m sure there’s the odd black student, and that technically counts as diversity. But, I’m worried that there won’t be enough for me to feel at home.

Also, the accommodation. I’ve only just been accepted, so I don’t yet have any You@York details. My concern is that whilst I’m waiting places like Constantine and Langwith will be taken. I’m due to get the details I need from Monday. Will that be enough time?
Reply 36
Hi,

I’ve been accepted into York yesterday, through clearing. And seeing as York wasn’t one of my original choices there’s quite abit I don’t know about the University.

The main thing I’m worried about is diversity. I’m black, and I’m concerned about the amount of other black students at the Uni. As in, I’m sure there’s the odd black student, and that technically counts as diversity. But, I’m worried that there won’t be enough for me to feel at home.

Also, the accommodation. I’ve only just been accepted, so I don’t yet have any You@York details. My concern is that whilst I’m waiting places like Constantine and Langwith will be taken. I’m due to get the details I need from Monday. Will that be enough time?

Hey, hope you're doing well! Thanks for the tag, I did see your post yesterday (the one with the quote thing broken) and intended to reply but I was busy.

Firstly, congratulations on being accepted into York. What course are you doing? I'm doing Social and Political Sciences and I'm going into my second year.

As for diversity, I can confirm that in the academic year 2019/20, York admitted just over 5,000 BAME students as opposed to nearly 13,000 non-BAME students and data is not available/refused for nearly 400 students and that's for FTE students regardless of their level of study (see here). If you put these numbers into perspective, there's absolutely no denying that York must continue to do more to promote equality and diversity when it comes to student admissions even though the population of the city itself based on the 2011 census is predominantly white.

To put you at ease though, we have two lovely part-time BAME officers in Fiks and Simi who were elected earlier this year and so far, they've done an awful lot to represent the interests and advocate for all BAME students at York through working closely with the students' union (YUSU) and the university. In the aftermath of horrific and tragic murder of George Floyd, Fiks and Simi have been using their social media platforms (mostly Instagram: @yusu_bme) to speak out against social injustice and racism. They've also shared a tonne of resources about why Black Lives Matter which is not exhaustive to just essential reading and ways non-black people can be better allies to black people. Furthermore, they've done an excellent collab with the ACS (African-Caribbean) society to produce a powerful spoken word piece reflecting on the horrific and tragic murder of George Floyd and other recent events at that time.

As for other things they have done, I really like how they've decided to ask black and Asian students to send in anonymous submissions about what life is like for them as students in York. This is really important because we cannot be blinded by the fact that experiences of racism, prejudice and microaggressions are prevelant in society and we all must actively do more to raise awareness of these problems in society and tackle it head on. Btw, as a Clearing student, you're guaranteed accommodation owned, managed or approved by the uni.

As for the uni, I can assure you that they take seriously any forms of racism, prejudice and microaggressions and will deal with the matter in line with their own rules and regulations.

If you wish to contact Fiks and Simi, the BAME officers, you can contact them via their Instagram page or email [email protected].

Now onto accommodation... Unfortunately, for Clearing students, the accommodation options are limited (I declined my place at my insurance and came here via Clearing this time last year) but you choose based on what's left and you should find out about my accommodation offer in due course. I can't say for sure whether they'll be any accommodation places left at Constantine and Langwith but their accommodation is expensive, especially the former.

P.S. I almost forgot about this point... The former Academic Sabbs Officer, Giang, worked really hard to start and continue the conversation about how do we build an anti-racist community here at York and has worked with the students' union (YUSU) and the university in doing so. Recently, there was an online event organised by YUSU and the GSA (undergrad and postgrad students' union) to discuss the matter of race in our student community. Giang was also keen to decolonise the curriculum and has had numerous meetings with the uni to discuss this matter at heart and the fight will continue on with the new Academic Sabbs Officer, Matt. In particular, Giang has urged departments where possible to offer a broad and diverse curriculum that isn't solely eurocentric and has actively encouraged students to choose modules that aren't solely eurocentric, e.g. for politics, a student could choose a module that looks at politics of the Middle East instead of British politics, etc.

Hope you find this all helpful and useful! :smile:
Reply 37
Hi! I'm staying at Goodricke and was wondering what it's like there? Do they do many events and how is the nightlife at Goodricke/ Hes East? Also, is the accommodation in Goodricke nice? I have an ensuite but I'm thinking of swapping. Will I get bored in Hes East? I fear it will be isolating being so far from the other colleges. Thanks!
Hi I'm coming to york this year and was wondering what life is like as a BAME student? I'm Filipino and seeing that asians are being racially targeted and abused because the virus originated in China has me worried for my safety and wellbeing on and off campus. Not only this, but the recent events of police brutality that have led to the BLM movement have further highlighted the struggles and differences that black people and other minorities have faced on a daily basis.

What has York done/ is doing to help minority students who experience racism from another student? Do they punish those who are racist towards a student? How does the Uni plan on tackling racism as a whole? Are there safe spaces available for minorities?

Sorry if this got a bit heavy but it's been weighing down on me for a while haha. Thanks in advance!
Reply 39
Hi I'm coming to york this year and was wondering what life is like as a BAME student? I'm Filipino and seeing that asians are being racially targeted and abused because the virus originated in China has me worried for my safety and wellbeing on and off campus. Not only this, but the recent events of police brutality that have led to the BLM movement have further highlighted the struggles and differences that black people and other minorities have faced on a daily basis.

What has York done/ is doing to help minority students who experience racism from another student? Do they punish those who are racist towards a student? How does the Uni plan on tackling racism as a whole? Are there safe spaces available for minorities?

Sorry if this got a bit heavy but it's been weighing down on me for a while haha. Thanks in advance!

Hi there, I hope you're doing well! I've responded to a similar post from another incoming BAME student who had similar concerns and here's the link to the post. I won't repeat everything I've said in that post but will fill in the gaps.

As a fellow BAME student who's British-born Chinese and due to go into my second year, I genuinely believe that the university has responded well to the minority who think it's acceptable to target racial abuse to Asians in light of the current Coronavirus pandemic and way before a lockdown was implemented in mid-March, the university released this statement about showing respect. Touching briefly on Black Lives Matters (I've talked about how the uni and the students' union - YUSU and the GSA - has handled this in great length in the post linked above), the BAME officers have worked closely with the uni and students' union to respond to this and in particular, have shared useful resources for non-black people to further educate themselves on why Black Lives Matter. Even before this, the former Academic Officer, Giang, has been very passionate about decolonising the curriculum and her campaign on this will continue under the new Academic Officer, Matt.

The university has a disciplinary procedure known as Regulation 7 which covers things such as racism, etc. and there's now an improved Report + Support tool where students can easily report misconduct. From personal experience, I think the uni has been effective in dealing with individual problems not exhaustive to racism and they have made it clear that they have a zero-tolerance stance towards things like racism, etc. Yes, there are safe spaces available for minorities and international societies you can join which is open to all.

If you wish to contact the BAME officers you can do so over at their Instagram @yusu_bme or email them at [email protected]. I hope this is helpful and useful for you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending