The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Ask a Uni of York Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Hi there, I hope you're doing well! I've responded to a similar post from another incoming BAME student who had similar concerns and here's the link to the post. I won't repeat everything I've said in that post but will fill in the gaps.

As a fellow BAME student who's British-born Chinese and due to go into my second year, I genuinely believe that the university has responded well to the minority who think it's acceptable to target racial abuse to Asians in light of the current Coronavirus pandemic and way before a lockdown was implemented in mid-March, the university released this statement about showing respect. Touching briefly on Black Lives Matters (I've talked about how the uni and the students' union - YUSU and the GSA - has handled this in great length in the post linked above), the BAME officers have worked closely with the uni and students' union to respond to this and in particular, have shared useful resources for non-black people to further educate themselves on why Black Lives Matter. Even before this, the former Academic Officer, Giang, has been very passionate about decolonising the curriculum and her campaign on this will continue under the new Academic Officer, Matt.

The university has a disciplinary procedure known as Regulation 7 which covers things such as racism, etc. and there's now an improved Report + Support tool where students can easily report misconduct. From personal experience, I think the uni has been effective in dealing with individual problems not exhaustive to racism and they have made it clear that they have a zero-tolerance stance towards things like racism, etc. Yes, there are safe spaces available for minorities and international societies you can join which is open to all.

If you wish to contact the BAME officers you can do so over at their Instagram @yusu_bme or email them at [email protected]. I hope this is helpful and useful for you! :smile:

Thank you!!! You've genuinely eased my nerves! Ill be sure to check out the links you've posted.
University of York
York
I have a Halifax self-catered Band 3 and looking to swap with anyone in Vanbrugh who maybe now no longer wants their Vanbrugh room having found out that it's now going to have a full time 'Forest' festival based right outside it, with music and students until 2 am. If that's not your thing, and you'd prefer some peace and quiet - then I'd be happy to sweeten the swap with an extra £300 cash too.

So I am Halifax Band 3 Self Catered £140pw - and looking for any Vanbrugh Self Catered.
Original post by MGrogan
I have a Halifax self-catered Band 3 and looking to swap with anyone in Vanbrugh who maybe now no longer wants their Vanbrugh room having found out that it's now going to have a full time 'Forest' festival based right outside it, with music and students until 2 am. If that's not your thing, and you'd prefer some peace and quiet - then I'd be happy to sweeten the swap with an extra £300 cash too.

So I am Halifax Band 3 Self Catered £140pw - and looking for any Vanbrugh Self Catered.

Hey this probably isn't the best place to be asking for room swaps- this is a more general AMA for people wanting to find out about the uni :yes:
If you are already on any FB groups with other freshers you may want to ask about swaps there (I can't post the links here but I'm sure you can find it yourself). Alternatively, you can try the student accommodation thread here on TSR :hugs:
I lived in Vanbrugh in first year and @Xenocydi lived in Halifax and we both loved where we lived- the uni is more or less flat so you can definitely cycle from Halifax to Vanbrugh if you so choose instead :woo:
Original post by barror1
Hey this probably isn't the best place to be asking for room swaps- this is a more general AMA for people wanting to find out about the uni :yes:
If you are already on any FB groups with other freshers you may want to ask about swaps there (I can't post the links here but I'm sure you can find it yourself). Alternatively, you can try the student accommodation thread here on TSR :hugs:
I lived in Vanbrugh in first year and @Xenocydi lived in Halifax and we both loved where we lived- the uni is more or less flat so you can definitely cycle from Halifax to Vanbrugh if you so choose instead :woo:

I quite like the idea of being right next to the new 'FOREST' they are having in the Vanbrugh Bowl. Music etc until 2am. Whereas, someone else may prefer not to be quite as close to that, and be in quieter Halifax. So thought it worth a punt. I will def post in other places mentioned, thanks

FOREST.jpg
Original post by MGrogan
I quite like the idea of being right next to the new 'FOREST' they are having in the Vanbrugh Bowl. Music etc until 2am. Whereas, someone else may prefer not to be quite as close to that, and be in quieter Halifax. So thought it worth a punt. I will def post in other places mentioned, thanks

FOREST.jpg

No prob, the Forest does sound really good and Halifax is definitely more quiet- best of luck but you will definitely be ok wherever you go! :hugs:
Original post by notcoolnerd
Hi everyone! In reminiscing on uni life I’ve come across this thread.

I am a UoY Philosophy/Linguistics Joint Honours 2018 graduate. I was based in Langwith College for my time, and lived both on and off campus. I was very involved in both Langwith (especially freshers week and student mentoring), and the philosophy department, as well as other societies. If anyone has any questions about anything to do with academia, college life, nightlife etc then please do feel free to ask!

I’m more than happy to reminisce... York was honestly 3 of the best years of my life!

Hi,

I’m applying in 2021 which I know given the situation is a while away but York has been my top uni since primary school on visits.

Anyhow, just wondering about the nightlife as I read Most people went to Leeds As York was getting down hill? Hoping this isn’t true :smile:
Also does anyone have any advice please
I’m about to start year 13 in September and aiming for AAA to study biomedical sciences
I plan on continuing my 30 hours a week but want my independent study to be more focussed any advice please?:smile:
Original post by M.Johnson2111
Hi,

I’m applying in 2021 which I know given the situation is a while away but York has been my top uni since primary school on visits.

Anyhow, just wondering about the nightlife as I read Most people went to Leeds As York was getting down hill? Hoping this isn’t true :smile:

Original post by M.Johnson2111
Also does anyone have any advice please
I’m about to start year 13 in September and aiming for AAA to study biomedical sciences
I plan on continuing my 30 hours a week but want my independent study to be more focussed any advice please?:smile:

Honestly, just keep at it and you will be fine! You will get out what you put in. Remember to work on your exam skills as well! :hugs:
As for the nightlife, we have reason to believe that one of our nightclubs will be coming back from the dead when it is safe to do so! Fibbers closed a couple of months before lockdown and is now trying to find a new location which is quite exciting :woo:
The main thing about the nightlife here is that you will be fine if you are with the right people. There are plenty of pubs, enough clubs for a great social life and you can always go for nights out in Leeds if you can do it safely since the train tickets are so cheap. You will probably do great if you apply to York!
Best of luck :yes:
Is there a floor plan of block p Alcuin college? Typically flats 5 and 6. Trying to work out if there’s 12 or 16 people on that floor
Anyone know what Goodricke is like?
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone know what Goodricke is like?

Well according to York Memes, it doesn't exist... :iiam:

Jokes aside, I have a couple of mates who lived in Goodrike with no major complaints! It was especially convenient since their departments were on East Campus and from what I can remember the kitchens were fairly decent too :yes:
Is there a floor plan of block p Alcuin college? Typically flats 5 and 6. Trying to work out if there’s 12 or 16 people on that floor

Hmmm I don't have an intimate knowledge of Alcuin but if you can't find any information I recommend calling the college :hugs:
Original post by barror1
Well according to York Memes, it doesn't exist... :iiam:

Jokes aside, I have a couple of mates who lived in Goodrike with no major complaints! It was especially convenient since their departments were on East Campus and from what I can remember the kitchens were fairly decent too :yes:

Goodricke being non existent sounds bout right 🤣🤣. Thanks for the help anyways!
Goodricke being non existent sounds bout right 🤣🤣. Thanks for the help anyways!

Anytime! :hugs:
Hi! Does anyone know whether or not you can bring a mini fridge to keep in your room?
Hi! Does anyone know whether or not you can bring a mini fridge to keep in your room?

I don’t think you are allowed one
When we move in to our halls, will there be rules on how many people can come in and help me move-in, e.g. just me and one parent? I ask as both my parents and sibling will be with me.
When we move in to our halls, will there be rules on how many people can come in and help me move-in, e.g. just me and one parent? I ask as both my parents and sibling will be with me.

I think the university says you and one other family member in the block at one time, so I assume that while others can help unload the car, only one other person will be allowed into your flat with you to actually move things in.
Source: https://www.york.ac.uk/colleges/vanbrugh/new/
Reply 58

You can't bring a mini-fridge to keep in your room except for medical reasons.
Reply 59

Just to add to what barror1 said, social gatherings in England are obviously restricted to 6 so it's fine to have your parent and sibling helping with unloading the car. However, the uni has said explicitly that only you and one other family member are allowed in the block at one time such that social distancing can be maintained. Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by barror1
I think the university says you and one other family member in the block at one time, so I assume that while others can help unload the car, only one other person will be allowed into your flat with you to actually move things in.
Source: https://www.york.ac.uk/colleges/vanbrugh/new/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending