The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Ask a Uni of York Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by azby1098
hi! i’m firming york for human geog & environment soon (probably in the new year). i’m applying for ensuite at langwith as my first choice and then ensuite at constantine for my second. i’d really like an ensuite where possible.

because these 2 options are more expensive and i’ll be applying for accomodation next week and that’s pretty early do you think i’ll be more likely to get what i put higher? thanks!!

Hi, Accommodation doesn't open till March, I emailed them to ask about applying and they told me this x
University of York
York
Original post by maisiex10x
Hi, Accommodation doesn't open till March, I emailed them to ask about applying and they told me this x

oh really? oh that’s frustrating! do you know a specific date? thank you so much! :smile:
oh really? oh that’s frustrating! do you know a specific date? thank you so much! :smile:

I know! Really annoying! No, I don't, unfortunately, :frown:I did ask but they said it hadn't been confirmed. My insurance is Birmingham who opened on 1st Dec so I guess all unis do it differently! I'm hoping to get band 3 Vanbrugh x
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Hello everybody!

In these difficult and uncertain times, a lot of universities have cancelled their open days due to the current pandemic, so we've been asked to work collectively and answer any questions you may have about the university. :h:

@barror1 BA English Literature/Linguistics (First Year)
@CoffeeAndPolitics BA Social and Political Sciences (First Year)
@Xenocydi BA Music and Sound Recording (Third Year)

P.S. Here's a lovely picture of Longboi, our resident BNOC! :biggrin:

Hi I’ve gotten an offer for Chemistry at York and I’m super excited, I will be firming it when I get all my choices back, I luckly got to visit before all this pandemic hit so got to see the campus and the city, which are lovely. I was just wondering about the accommodation. I’m hoping to get into Vanbrugh, but am also okay with derwent or Alcuin. What is the accommodation like, how is it to share a bathroom, how much fridge/ freezer space do you get? Also what sort of other activities are available, I really like rock climbing, is this a facility that is available?
Thanks 😊
Jess
I know! Really annoying! No, I don't, unfortunately, :frown:I did ask but they said it hadn't been confirmed. My insurance is Birmingham who opened on 1st Dec so I guess all unis do it differently! I'm hoping to get band 3 Vanbrugh x

ahh nice!! i’m hoping for ensuite at langwith if possible
ahh nice!! i’m hoping for ensuite at langwith if possible

That's gonna be my second choice I think so may see you there ahh
Reply 86
Original post by Jessica03
, I really like rock climbing, is this a facility that is available?
Thanks 😊
Jess

The nearest climbing wall is a 15min walk away, called Red Goat (no roped walls though :frown:)

York University Mountaineering Club for rock climbing, Ben Lairig Mountaineering for mountain climbing/alpinism. Outdoor Society for rambles/lowland & hill walks and natural trust stuff.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TomDRV
The nearest climbing wall is a 15min walk away, called Red Goat (no roped walls though :frown:)

York University Mountaineering Club for rock climbing, Ben Lairig Mountaineering for mountain climbing/alpinism. Outdoor Society for rambles/lowland & hill walks and natural trust stuff.

Thanks 😊
I received an offer for Criminology and York is my Firm, anyone know the college stereotypes and where to go for Rugby and a good social whilst still good accommodation? Cheers
Original post by charliegates
I received an offer for Criminology and York is my Firm, anyone know the college stereotypes and where to go for Rugby and a good social whilst still good accommodation? Cheers

I've heard James is the most sporty, plus it's supposed to have a good social life! Band 3 has en-suits also x
Original post by charliegates

Please ignore any stereotypes, they are entirely that, are not accurate and are not what you should base your college choice off. Decide what accommodation you want (en-suite or shared bathroom, catered or self catered, west or east campus etc) then apply to the college that has the room types most suited to what you want.

For rugby, there’s the uni rugby (league and union) and then the colleges have teams too (the East colleges all come together as one ‘East’ team).
Can you tell what the accommodation is like ? What colleges are the most social and Partyish?
Original post by Tashax2
Can you tell what the accommodation is like ? What colleges are the most social and Partyish?

No college is more social than another. There are stereotypes that always get bounced around but they’re just not true. You will find quieter and louder blocks each year, so it can’t really be predicted. I will always advise that your main priority should be what room type you want (en-suite, catered, east campus etc) and apply to those rooms, regardless of what college they’re in.
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
No college is more social than another. There are stereotypes that always get bounced around but they’re just not true. You will find quieter and louder blocks each year, so it can’t really be predicted. I will always advise that your main priority should be what room type you want (en-suite, catered, east campus etc) and apply to those rooms, regardless of what college they’re in.

Thank you , do you think it matters if my accommodation is on campus west and my course is on campus east ? Or is the walk too far to do every day
Original post by Tashax2
Thank you , do you think it matters if my accommodation is on campus west and my course is on campus east ? Or is the walk too far to do every day

So the walk takes about 30 mins, but there are also regular buses between the two campuses. Personally, I chose to live on the same campus as my course but I know plenty of people who didn’t - some people said they actually liked the journey as it allowed them to distance themselves from their work and their home/social life! So it’s definitely doable and it’ll be a personal choice :smile:
So the walk takes about 30 mins, but there are also regular buses between the two campuses. Personally, I chose to live on the same campus as my course but I know plenty of people who didn’t - some people said they actually liked the journey as it allowed them to distance themselves from their work and their home/social life! So it’s definitely doable and it’ll be a personal choice :smile:

I didn’t realise you go to York ! What do you study ? What accommodation are you in ? Would you recommend the uni ?
Also is it ethnically diverse ?
What year are you in ?
Are there things to do ?
What’s the nightlife like ?

Sorry for all the questions!
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how "academic" the course is? @barror1 I'm going for the same course as you (achieved 3A*), according to DiscoverUni the entry requirements are AAA and most students have between AAA-ABB, I was wondering if this mattered, would I feel "left behind", or is everyone at the same point? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Tashax2
I didn’t realise you go to York ! What do you study ? What accommodation are you in ? Would you recommend the uni ?
Also is it ethnically diverse ?
What year are you in ?
Are there things to do ?
What’s the nightlife like ?

Sorry for all the questions!

That’s ok! I graduated in 2019, so lived on campus 2016/17 and then off campus for my latter two years. I studied social and political sciences.

I was in Derwent which I loved, but was also quite lucky as I was in some of the newest accommodation so it was pretty high quality.

There’s plenty to do, as York is a massive tourist city and so there’s always something going on. There’s lots of lovely little cafes and pubs, as well as 4 (I think? some may have shut since I was last there!) nightclubs that offer good cheap student nights. I’ll always say that the nightlife scene isn’t as crazy as bigger cities like Manchester or London, but it’s still a decent night out.

I consider York to be somewhat ethnically diverse, but I am white so perhaps it isn’t something I’m particularly attuned to! From memory there are plenty of societies for those of different cultures and ethnicities, both in terms of support but also for the social element.

Overall I would absolutely recommend York, I really loved my time there.
Original post by aliviapearl
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how "academic" the course is? @barror1 I'm going for the same course as you (achieved 3A*), according to DiscoverUni the entry requirements are AAA and most students have between AAA-ABB, I was wondering if this mattered, would I feel "left behind", or is everyone at the same point? Thanks :smile:

Aha alot of us didn't actually make the grades! I got into York with AAC (A's in English lit/lang) and honestly feel fine with the content. As long as you keep up with the reading and required work for that week you are unlikely to be left behind imo :yes:
Each department also has support in place- Linguistics has peer-assisted learning (PAL) sessions run by students who did well in the module the year before and literature has the royal literary fund fellows to help with essays! Of course, there are office hours too which are always useful to have :smile:
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions! :hugs:
Please ignore any stereotypes, they are entirely that, are not accurate and are not what you should base your college choice off. Decide what accommodation you want (en-suite or shared bathroom, catered or self catered, west or east campus etc) then apply to the college that has the room types most suited to what you want.

For rugby, there’s the uni rugby (league and union) and then the colleges have teams too (the East colleges all come together as one ‘East’ team).

Thanks!, also is East quieter than West? As the rooms seem nicer but apparently it's quieter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending