The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hope5677
Hey i'm a mature student at bath uni..been here for 5 years and about to graduate ....feel free to ask me questions 😊

What do you study?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hey i'm a mature student at bath uni..been here for 5 years and about to graduate ....feel free to ask me questions 😊

Can you be enrolled at bath but live in manchester ? I know a bath student who is enrolled full time as a bath student but lives in Manchester. Only comes to bath on certain days.
Reply 3
Hey, yes you can if your attendance is not monitored. They monitor international students attendance but not British students. So if you're British or an EU student, you can get away with it. Just don't tell anyone. But who really wants to do that? It will be a waste of your student loan. Time. And you might not even learn well. You cannot rely on recorded lectures. I believe that you cannot do this officially unless your uni director of studies also approves it. You cannot attend lectures and university whenever you want. It must be consistent and regular attendance. You won't get a good grade !
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey, yes you can if your attendance is not monitored. They monitor international students attendance but not British students. So if you're British or an EU student, you can get away with it. Just don't tell anyone. But wo really wants to do that? It will be a waste of your student loan. Time. And you might not even learn well. You cannot rely on recorded lectures. I believe that you cannot do this officially unless your uni director of studies also approves it. You cannot attend lectures and university whenever you want. It must he consistent and regular attendance. You won't get a good grade !

Shes from India so non eu and international
Reply 5
It won't work at bath university. There's an attendance monitoring app. So if you're non eu or uk, you need to compulsorily be physically present at all your teaching events. Regardless, it's not advisable if you're international or not. You may end up repeating your year. It won't work.
It won't work at bath university. There's an attendance monitoring app. So if you're non eu or uk, you need to compulsorily be physically present at all your teaching events. Regardless, it's not advisable if you're international or not. You may end up repeating your year. It won't work.

But how is she staying at Manchester then? Shes rarely at bath and she lives full time in manchester, going to bath weekly or twice in a week. Her british friends do the same
Reply 7
I cannot comment on that as i wouldn't know. I'm just telling you what i know about bath uni.
Reply 8
Original post by waterfront
What do you study?

Chemical Engineering.
Hi and thank you for doing this.
I will be attending UofB starting in September, PhD student, and I will be going with my wife. We have already sent an application form to the school for accommodation, but they were really nice on letting me change it if I feel another place is better.
From your experience or people you know that are couples, where do you consider is the best place to live, specially the first year? (I was told that in campus there is only 1 room for couples) so we were thinking Canal Wharf.
Best wishes
Reply 10
Original post by tonomuniz
Hi and thank you for doing this.
I will be attending UofB starting in September, PhD student, and I will be going with my wife. We have already sent an application form to the school for accommodation, but they were really nice on letting me change it if I feel another place is better.
From your experience or people you know that are couples, where do you consider is the best place to live, specially the first year? (I was told that in campus there is only 1 room for couples) so we were thinking Canal Wharf.
Best wishes

Hey, from my experience with undergraduate accommodation, it was quite a terrible experience. I prefer private housing compared to uni owned accommodation. But the pg accommodation looks comfortable from pictures. I don't know anything about pg accommodation to help you choose. But i guess pick the one closer to Southgate which is the city centre. At least that way youll be in a buzzing area and can easily go exploring when you're bored. Though you should consider comfort too i guess. You must have had a look online of the description of these places....pick the one that looks more comfortable...go for the one with a private kitchen and bathroom...and on campus living is not nice...don't pick campus accommodation...we have a very reliable bus service if you don't drive that can transport you to your campus....check for accommodation that have accessibility to the U1 bus route. Makes life easier!
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey, from my experience with undergraduate accommodation, it was quite a terrible experience. I prefer private housing compared to uni owned accommodation. But the pg accommodation looks comfortable from pictures. I don't know anything about pg accommodation to help you choose. But i guess pick the one closer to Southgate which is the city centre. At least that way youll be in a buzzing area and can easily go exploring when you're bored. Though you should consider comfort too i guess. You must have had a look online of the description of these places....pick the one that looks more comfortable...go for the one with a private kitchen and bathroom...and on campus living is not nice...don't pick campus accommodation...we have a very reliable bus service if you don't drive that can transport you to your campus....check for accommodation that have accessibility to the U1 bus route. Makes life easier!

Thank you very much for your reply. Indeed I have looked at the description of different options, but any extra input is always welcome, so I highly appreciate your answer. Now more people are telling me about trying to avoid campus, so I will look thoroughly into that and as you said, look for the most comfortable option (as budget allows) and obviously my SO opinion. If I can help in anything, great.
Best wishes.
How do you find private housing - does the uni help? Also when you lived in undergraduate accommodation did you ever get shopping delivered? Thanks :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
How do you find private housing - does the uni help? Also when you lived in undergraduate accommodation did you ever get shopping delivered? Thanks :smile:

Oh i love private housing. I think student union can help people struggling to find a place in private housing. But ive always just used rightmove or zoopla. When i was a first year student i never had shopping delivered to my campus accommodation. Im assuming you mean groceries? I did see other students though get groceries delivered. As for maybe postage and online cloth shopping etc. It gets delivered to the campus central hub and you get a notification when it arrives so you just go and collect your package from there. In real honesty. If you're gonna stay in ug accommodation. Avoid the likes of Brendan court and Westwood. Nasty stuff. You gotta share a nasty looking toilet with like 6 to 10 people...if you can get your hands on ensuite definitely go for that. I disliked campus so much i got depressed in my first year. If i had probably stayed in private housing i wouldn't have been depressed. But i know everyone has a different experience. Something i may have intensely hated another student may have intensely loved i guess

Hi there,

Students find private housing through a variety of rental websites. StudentPad is the main one, as it has landlords advertising specifically to students, and people can also post to find housemates. Normal rental websites like RightMove and Zoopla are also used, but you need to make sure to look for student houses as some landlords won't rent to students. The university has a private accommodation advice team who can help you with anything, from finding housemates to checking over rental contracts, so the uni definitely does help.

In terms of getting deliveries to undergrad accommodation, you can get them. In university-run accommodation, you can get groceries delivered to campus and you then just leave the crates outside the accommodation for the supermarket vans to collect the next day. The uni also has parcel offices, s any regular deliveries get delivered there and you just go and collect them when you can.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a third year NatSci student
Hey i'm a mature student at bath uni..been here for long ....feel free to ask me questions 😊

Hey, I sent several e-mails to the admissions office, but they didn't reply to any of them. I was wondering: when does the conditional offer, which I accepted as my form choice, get confirmed? I uploaded all the documents required from my offer via Samis, but nothing has changed yet.
Reply 16
Hey, I sent several e-mails to the admissions office, but they didn't reply to any of them. I was wondering: when does the conditional offer, which I accepted as my form choice, get confirmed? I uploaded all the documents required from my offer via Samis, but nothing has changed yet.

Hey keep sending them emails. Same happened to me before i started studying at bath. They're busy so they don't even reply. I think i actually called them up 4 years ago. Calll them. Keep emailing. I remember feeling bad because they didn't reply to me for almost 2 months..i even didn't want to be at this university then because of this ****. I was hoping to go somewhere else, started to have doubts. At the end i think i contacted an alternative service at the university that then made them respond. I hope what happened to me won't happen to you. I would try to call any bath uni number for student services if they keep ignoring. I sincerely hope they're more efficient now!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey keep sending them emails. Same happened to me before i started studying at bath. They're busy so they don't even reply. I think i actually called them up 4 years ago. Calll them. Keep emailing. I remember feeling bad because they didn't reply to me for almost 2 months..i even didn't want to be at this university then because of this ****. I was hoping to go somewhere else, started to have doubts. At the end i think i contacted an alternative service at the university that then made them respond. I hope what happened to me won't happen to you. I would try to call any bath uni number for student services if they keep ignoring. I sincerely hope they're more efficient now!

Hey, thank you for your answer. At least you replied :wink: ! Well, I tried to find their telephone number, but all phone numbers of the admissions office are not being used right now due to the virus. I will keep emailing them, but it's really annoying, got to admit. I really know, how you felt back then and I really hope I'll get a reply soon. Do you think there is an alternative to emailing at the moment?
Reply 18
Hey, thank you for your answer. At least you replied :wink: ! Well, I tried to find their telephone number, but all phone numbers of the admissions office are not being used right now due to the virus. I will keep emailing them, but it's really annoying, got to admit. I really know, how you felt back then and I really hope I'll get a reply soon. Do you think there is an alternative to emailing at the moment?

Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

Students find private housing through a variety of rental websites. StudentPad is the main one, as it has landlords advertising specifically to students, and people can also post to find housemates. Normal rental websites like RightMove and Zoopla are also used, but you need to make sure to look for student houses as some landlords won't rent to students. The university has a private accommodation advice team who can help you with anything, from finding housemates to checking over rental contracts, so the uni definitely does help.

In terms of getting deliveries to undergrad accommodation, you can get them. In university-run accommodation, you can get groceries delivered to campus and you then just leave the crates outside the accommodation for the supermarket vans to collect the next day. The uni also has parcel offices, s any regular deliveries get delivered there and you just go and collect them when you can.

I hope this has helped,

I think this person is the best to reply. Tell us about the problems with contacting admissions Jess. It's been happening for many years now. Maybe you can relay this feedback official rep?
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

I hope this has helped,

Hey Jessica, do you know why the admissions office doesn't reply to me via e-mail? I sent them 3 or 4 e-mails in the last weeks regarding my conditional offer, but I haven't heard anything back. I uploaded all the documents which were asked for in my offer via samis, and that about 8 weeks ago, but nothing has yet been confirmed to me. Do you maybe know another way of contacting the university at the moment? Thank you!

Latest