The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Do you know what the best accommodation is based on location, social, rooms etc?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by kosner
Do you know what the best accommodation is based on location, social, rooms etc?

Hi there,

The best place to check out student accommodation at Bath is by visiting this website here, which has lots of detailed information about the accommodation types and 360 degree room tours. Choosing what accommodation you would prefer is a very personal choice and you should base your decision on a number of factors, including price, if you would like an ensuite, if you want catered accommodation, if you want to be on campus or in the city and how modern you would like your room to be.

At Bath the most expensive, ensuite and most modern accommodations are the Quads, Marlborough and Solsbury, Polden and Woodland Court. They also usually have smaller flat sizes, but this does not mean they are less sociable. With the Quads for example, you get a social space as well as a kitchen, which you share between two flats.

On the other hand, cheaper, non ensuite and less modern accommodations are Westwood, Eastwood, Norwood and Brendon Court. They usually have bigger flat sizes in contrast to the accommodation types above and are good if you want to save some money.

I personally stayed in the Quads in my first year and loved it due to the ensuite and more modern features. However, one caveat I would note is that the rooms are quite small.

I hope this helps, but if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask :smile:

Isobel (A Final Year Sociology Student)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hope5677
Hey i'm a mature student at bath uni..been here for long ....feel free to ask me questions 😊

Hi, do you know if all the rooms in quads are lime green... not my thing! and if you could add anything about any experiences with accommodation on campus that would be great!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, do you know if all the rooms in quads are lime green... not my thing! and if you could add anything about any experiences with accommodation on campus that would be great!

Hi there,

The rooms in quads are lime green themed. I personally stayed in the quads in my first year and loved it, as the rooms were modern and ensuite. In addition, the kitchens were big and spacious and we had an additional social space which not many accommodations had. Moreover, being part catered was a bonus, especially as the food and drink credit rolls over into other years if you don't use it all. The only caveat I would say is that the rooms are quite small.

I would say the main differences with accommodation at Bath is whether you want modern and ensuite or don't mind and want to save money with one of the older, less modern and non ensuite accommodations. Even though Eastwood and Westwood for example are older and less modern, they are really social with big flat sizes and everyone I've met who has lived there, enjoyed it.

The website here is great for comparing the accommodation options and includes 360 degree room tours and detailed information about the flat sizes, prices, what each room includes etc.

If you would like to ask any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Isobel (A Final Year Sociology Student)
Are engineering students able to use the facilities for personal projects?
Original post by Cobaltian
Are engineering students able to use the facilities for personal projects?

Hi there!

I do not for sure but my gut instinct would be no. There are a lot of students on campus undertaking a variety of work for undergraduate projects so its unlikely they would have space for student use. However, it's always something you could ask about when you get here, although haven't heard of anyone doing it in the past.

Hope that helps and sorry I could not be clearer!

Leah
Final Year Chemical Engineering
Hello,

I'm James, a final year Politics student at the University of Bath. I've just joined the Bath TSR team and I'm happy to answer any of your questions (or suggest guidance if I can't).

Over my time at Bath, I lived in campus accommodation for my first year, and in private housing off campus during second/final year. I completed a year long work placement in the 2020/21 academic year, and have been involved in sports at the University.

I look forward to helping you with any questions that you have.
Hi, do you think its worth it to go for an accommodation that is more expensive with an ensuite. I know they may be nicer, but the likes of Eastwood etc without a en-suite look a lot cheaper, but was just wondering if are as bad as some can make them sound!Additionally, do you know if people pay for a full year bus pass in first year to travel to the city, would that work out cheaper?Finally, did you ever find yourself bored in your time at the uni, people often say its quite a small city with no much to do, and I would hope that I wouldn't get bored after the first year!Thankyou so much!
Original post by elypolley
Hi, do you think its worth it to go for an accommodation that is more expensive with an ensuite. I know they may be nicer, but the likes of Eastwood etc without a en-suite look a lot cheaper, but was just wondering if are as bad as some can make them sound!Additionally, do you know if people pay for a full year bus pass in first year to travel to the city, would that work out cheaper?Finally, did you ever find yourself bored in your time at the uni, people often say its quite a small city with no much to do, and I would hope that I wouldn't get bored after the first year!Thankyou so much!

It's really a matter of opinion and what your priorities are.
Personally Eastwood and Westwood aren't for me because I value comfort quite highly, and they are basic, small and quite dated in my opinion. That said, many people do live there quite happily, it does the job of giving them somewhere to sleep and study and leaves them with extra money to spend on things like going out.
I decided to go for Polden, which is the newest and nicest and I definitely think it is worth the extra money, but I don't think everyone would necessarily agree. A particularly good thing about Polden is that I think you do tend to get it if you put it as first choice, which isn't really the case for the other ensuite accomodations which are quite hard to get.
The best thing you can do is see them for yourself I think. Last year there was a campus tour day when you could have a look in a couple of the options, so I'd highly recommend you look out for those in the coming months, hopefully they are doing something similar this year.
In terms of Bath itself, im not into going on nights out so I can't really comment too much in that respect but there does seem to be places that people go in the city and if those aren't to your taste then Bristol is not at all far away on the train. In terms of in the daytime, there's plenty to do. Bath is an incredibly beautiful city that feels so safe and I would recommend it to anyone.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by elypolley

Hello,

Thank you for your great questions.

I'm a final year student, and lived in on-campus non-ensuite accommodation in first year. I was happy with my accommodation. Firstly, Bath's campus is quite compact so you are never more than 5-10mins walk from any building/facility/other accommodation on the campus. Secondly, the shared bathroom facilities are quite large - each flat etc will have multiple showers and toilets that are cleaned by the University. There is nothing like a 'nightmare scenario' of multiple people queueing up to use them or anything like that. The vast majority of non-ensuite rooms do have a washbasin, so you don't need to walk to the kitchen every time you want a drink etc. Thirdly and most importantly, whatever accommodation you're in, you're very likely to enjoy the university experience. Your flatmates will all be new first year students, so everyone is in the same position and it's easy to meet new people.

On the buses, most first year students who live on campus do not buy a full year bus pass. As Bath is a campus university, all the academic buildings, Sports Training Village, and other facilities are on site. When you do need the bus to access the city in the evening etc, you can just buy single/return/night tickets. Student single tickets are about £1.50, and night tickets (unlimited travel after 7pm) are around £2.20. This is far more efficient than a yearly bus pass given that you are unlikely to use the bus everyday. That being said, first year students who live in city centre accommodation may buy some form of bus pass given they will use the bus more to access campus.

I don't think students get 'bored' in Bath. Yes, the city is smaller than most, but there is plenty to do day and night for students. The city has a student community feel, given the high student population. There's a wide variety of nightlife if that's your sort of thing. Bristol is also just a few minutes away by train. As second and final year students typically live closer to the city (compared to on campus in first year), there is usually the chance to spend more time in the city after first year.

I hope this helps, and please feel free to ask any other questions.

James
Reply 50
Hi guys can u please rate my chances of receiving an offer from bath.
I applied for a economics (A*AA) and if u do an EPQ and get an A reduced offer of AAA
I am predicted A*AA and and A* in EPQ. And got AAA in my end of year 12 mocks.

Thanks so much any help would be appreciated.
Reply 51
HI

Can any student at Bath provide me with some pointers regarding costs please?

My Daughter will want to live in better accommodation on campus and without doubt will want to engage in every party, going out event she can. Social animal. Also a lazy sod (being honest) and will likely cook very little and want to eat pub/ food outlets on campus / take outs etc.

She would get the minimum grant. On the basis that i make up the shortfall on the rent between the student finance and the real cost can you give me an idea of how much weekly allowance i should provide for her food entertainment and other living costs?

In my head i was thinking £100 pw but based on other forums i have read I'm wonder if that's enough?

2 semesters - call it 36 weeks - £100 x 36 = £3,600
If its £150 that's £5,400
if its £200 that's £7,200

Doesn't go far does it?????? Any thought's appreciated
I don't have any offers so have to go into UCAS extra, I want to apply to an engineering course, does anyone know if any engineering courses from University of Bath went into UCAS Extra last year?

Hello,

I don't have that information to hand, sorry. However, I can confirm no Bath courses were in UCAS Clearing/Adjustment in 2021.

As the 26 January 2022 UCAS deadline is yet to pass, it's unlikely that the University of Bath will know course quantities (if any) for UCAS Extra yet. The best people to contact is Admissions, through [email protected].

Hope this helps.

James
Final Year Student
Original post by ZS12345
Hi guys can u please rate my chances of receiving an offer from bath.
I applied for a economics (A*AA) and if u do an EPQ and get an A reduced offer of AAA
I am predicted A*AA and and A* in EPQ. And got AAA in my end of year 12 mocks.

Thanks so much any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It's very difficult to 'rate chances' of an offer for anyone.

Your predicted grades meet the requirements, and you are correct that an A or above in the EPQ will qualify you for an offer of AAA. Therefore, it is definitely worth applying if you have not already.

Good luck with your application.

James
Final Year Student
Original post by LsDad
HI

Can any student at Bath provide me with some pointers regarding costs please?

My Daughter will want to live in better accommodation on campus and without doubt will want to engage in every party, going out event she can. Social animal. Also a lazy sod (being honest) and will likely cook very little and want to eat pub/ food outlets on campus / take outs etc.

She would get the minimum grant. On the basis that i make up the shortfall on the rent between the student finance and the real cost can you give me an idea of how much weekly allowance i should provide for her food entertainment and other living costs?

In my head i was thinking £100 pw but based on other forums i have read I'm wonder if that's enough?

2 semesters - call it 36 weeks - £100 x 36 = £3,600
If its £150 that's £5,400
if its £200 that's £7,200

Doesn't go far does it?????? Any thought's appreciated

Hello,

Thank you for questions. I'm a student at Bath, so I can try and give you an understanding of budgets and the student finance maintenance system.

Firstly, you can view accommodation prices for the 2021/22 academic year here: https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/undergraduate-accommodation-prices-2021-to-2022/. Prices significantly vary depending on accommodation type, so the choice here probably impacts your overall budget significantly.

You may wish to look into the Eat & Drink Credit accommodation options, as the accommodation contract price will go some way in working out a catering budget.

Excluding accommodation costs, this sample budget document breaks down a typical Bath student living budget of just under £150 a week: https://www.bath.ac.uk/publications/undergraduate-budget/attachments/undergraduate-overall-budget-2021-22.pdf

Parental contributions are naturally a personal matter, but many parents do contribute towards student finance if their child is receiving the minimum maintenance loan. The student finance system is designed this way, as is described here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes/. Essentially, the 'expected' parental contribution is the difference between the student's maintenance loan and the maximum maintenance loan available. In England during the 2021/22 academic year, the annual difference between the minimum and maximum maintenance loan was just over £5000.

As said, parental contributions are a personal matter and the above is purely a guide.

Hope this helps and please do ask if you have any further questions.

James
Reply 55
Hi
What are the In CAMPUS Accomodation building location options for Post Graduate students for MSc Psychology and Economics behaviour stream
Thanks
Original post by Mike21m
Hi
What are the In CAMPUS Accomodation building location options for Post Graduate students for MSc Psychology and Economics behaviour stream
Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

The postgraduate eligibility criteria for university accommodation is available here: https://www.bath.ac.uk/student-accommodation/choose-your-postgraduate-student-accommodation-options/.

Through this link, there is a list of University managed accommodation options for postgraduates. Of these, Polden is on campus. The other options are either located in, or close to, the city centre. You can read more about all the accommodation options through the above link

Hope this helps.

James
Final Year Student
Hey Jessica, do you know why the admissions office doesn't reply to me via e-mail? I sent them 3 or 4 e-mails in the last weeks regarding my conditional offer, but I haven't heard anything back. I uploaded all the documents which were asked for in my offer via samis, and that about 8 weeks ago, but nothing has yet been confirmed to me. Do you maybe know another way of contacting the university at the moment? Thank you!

Hello,

The admissions team is most likely very busy at the moment so please be assured that they will get back to you and update you with anything you need to know.

If you'd like to speak with someone from admissions- this is the phone number- 01225 383019

I hope this helps.

Best of luck,
Kayley
hi! wondering if i could get anny insight from current bsc psychology + placement year students on their experience with the course? i'm currently in a dilemma between this and exeter's msci applied psych program because i am very much inclined to the applied/clinical aspect of psychology, i'm worried bath's program won't cover as much of it as exeter's, despite me loving Bath a bit more as a whole.
Hi I am currently deciding between insuring Bath or another university, both of which have offered the same grades as my firm choice, so I would only be going if my insurance was willing to take me with a missed offer and my firm wasn't (highly likely that my firm wouldn't). So my question is broadly, how likely is this for Bath? My course is Economics and Politics, and I thought since Bath is rarely in clearing, but seems to have a relatively high offer to uptake ratio, I would have a fair shot at still being accepted? I am aware nothing of particular detail can be said without knowing how many others miss offers/by how much/my application overall, but is there any general indication you could give?

Latest