The Student Room Group

AS History - Remark?

Right, I've just got a terrible shock today.

Basically, History is what I want to apply to read at Uni.

I've been getting A's B's and C's in my essays and got a high C in my mock exam. I took Edexcel Spec B. Anyway, I got a D in my AS exam as shown below:

M1 (America) 72/120 C
M2 (Leninist Russia) 54/90 C
M3 (Stalinist Russia) 45/120 D

It's just a massive leap from what I normally get and its been the same with others in my group. Two girls that were meant to get As got Bs, a boy predicted a C got an A and so forth.

My question is: Do you think it would be worthwhile that I get a remark on the two Russia papers?

My Dad has offered to pay the £70 for both papers.

Scroll to see replies

Yes you should, might as well!
Reply 2
Before doing that, what you can do is pay £10 to get a script returned to you to look over it, you can ask a teacher to help you look over it and interpret the marks for you. This would most likely be the best action if you want to remark it. Its a bit pointless if your only going to get 2-3 marks more possibly lose some.

the other options are to retake. Which again is much cheaper then remarking, and it will give you time to prepare again, but will give you a higher work load for next year.
Reply 3
Our school doesn't allow retakes, so I would have to do that at another centre.

My teacher thinks it sounds wrong, so I will ask for a copy of the papers - all three

Could it go up a grade or more?
Reply 4
Also, I didn't revise for General Studies and I got four marks off an A. With the same exam board.
Reply 5
Be careful - I'm fairly sure if you get your answer scripts back you can't then apply for a remark...
Reply 6
GS means nothing.
Reply 7
definitely get it remarked and then go to retake in some modules. It is really subjective so you might improve by a grade or two. I bombed history as well, so i know how you feel:frown:, and this is what i'm doing!

(also general studies found out I was doing it the day before- never went to a lesson completed a 700 mile round trip to hull the night before, and got 98%, its a joke)
TBH a remark barely ever changes a grade unless you're one or two marks from the boundary (and even then it's unlikely the grade'll be any different). Just retake it and hope you'll predicted a B or above.
Reply 9
My school predicts our A2s based on our AS grades.

So I'll be put down as a D - meaning I can't apply for History at Nottingham as I wanted to
Reply 10
Actually you can apply for a remark. Because I'm getting photocopies, not the real scripts.

I was four marks from a B in English Lit, so I've also asked for a copy of that script because of the close boundary.
dw... my friend got an a in both her modules but got a u in her stalin so got a d overall........ get your school to complain..... and get remarks lol
Reply 12
you might as well have a go i mean if you are good then it can only really go up. Don't listen to necessarily benevolent, he has a problem with people being better than him
Reply 13
It's just - so unlikely - I can't understand how I managed to perform so badly and leap down by two grades like that.
Reply 14
you have obviously got the talent, so i would use every option open to you. Remarks, retakes whatever
Reply 15
Thats what I'm going to do. I'm definitely declining the grade
I am so pissed off with this atm. I was predicted an A and used the exact same technique as the teachers guide instructed and fully answered the question in the exam!? I also did a near full mark answered as marked by the teachers for the exact question on the module I got a D on!!! WTF do they want from me? Semen donations?!!!
Reply 17
This is the exact situation I am in.
I want to take History at Uni but got a D when normally I get A's and B's. I also thought this was one of the best exams but turns out it wasnt.
We took the OCR paper and in the modules I got a U, C and an A. I think I am getting it remarked but surely they cant be that wrong to give me a U?!
Although I was so happy with my other grades, the D in History upset me so much as I now have no idea what to do at Uni.
Reply 18
necessarily benevolent
TBH a remark barely ever changes a grade unless you're one or two marks from the boundary (and even then it's unlikely the grade'll be any different). Just retake it and hope you'll predicted a B or above.
That's not true at all. I know a handful of people who had a remark, which raised their grade by at least one.

I had this same problem with Edexcel. I don't trust their marking at all. However just got my A2 results and got an A so not complaining now :p:

But, if I were you, I would first request a photocopied script (if you get the original, you can't get a remark), and then get your teacher to look over it. Then you can decide whether you feel a remark is worth it. Do this ASAP though, as the cut-off dates are quite soon. However, as I said, I think Edexcel are a bit dodgy, as none of the remarks for them changed, when my teacher said they definitely should have. AQA are much better, and admit when they have marked incorrectly.

Good luck!
Reply 19
I'm so stressed about it.

I will retake, but I don't feel I should need to because I can't see how I did so badly.

Latest