The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Questions

So, I'm sort of interested in doing Earth Sciences or Geology at uni (even tho' it would mean either doing a whole extra science A-level next year or doing a foundation year at uni), and have some pretty easy questions that need answering:

1. How's the workload? How much time do you spend in labs? Lectures? Outside reading?

2. How much do the field trips cost? Does your uni provide any financial assistance to cover the cost of field trips?

3. In an Earth Sci degree, is there any opportunity to do modules in things like oceanography or climatology? I sorta want to do the broadest range of topics possible.

Thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 1
im doing geology at southampton university atm

we probably have 20-25 hours a week, about 15 lectures and the rest labs.
extra reading is supposed to be 3 x that

my last field trip cost me 1.2k the uni gave us £240 each but all of the other trips have been fully funding - as i was the 1st year of tuition fees i beleive it has changed since.

at southampton oceanography etc. is often compulsory. they have taken some out of the 2nd year, but things such as ocean and earth science are in the 1st year, palaeoclimate change is compulsory in the 3rd. the 1st year you have 2 or 3 optionals (dependent on a maths a level) which allow you to pick up some oceanography as well.
Reply 2
1. Enough. It really varies alot, depending on modules and semester time.

2. About 1.1k for the years trips (3 wks N. Spain, 1 Wk S. Spain, 1 Wk. Wales, 2 1 Day local trips) after 40% Subsidy

3. Pass. I'm a geologist.

Latest

Trending

Trending