The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unite is a really good company offering private halls for students. Personally i think the halls are of a high standard. if you go on the Unite website you can view pictures of the halls they've allocated you (by using the dropdown menu at the bottom of the page) http://www.unite-students.com.
Try not to worry about it, even though theyre not exclusivley for Edingbrough Students most likley there will be quite a few of them there, and dont forget, theyre all students at the end of the day, the majority will be first years and you're all in the same boat.:yep:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
i live in UNITE accommodation, it's really good so don't be too pissed of. They are of a higher standard than most uni run halls and mine has a bar :biggrin:

You will find Edinburgh students there too so be pleased i love my flat :biggrin:
Reply 3
But i don't understand how they can promise me 'university accommodation' and then go back on their promise and stick me somewhere where there's no guarantee that I'll be with people from my own university.
Reply 4
orangepossum
But i don't understand how they can promise me 'university accommodation' and then go back on their promise and stick me somewhere where there's no guarantee that I'll be with people from my own university.

They have offered you halls. Get over it.
Reply 5
I got this too.
Reply 6
orangepossum

Itll be better than halls. Be grateful.
Be grateful you even GOT a place. Whinge whinge whinge.
Reply 8
it is generally nice accommodation and if they have put you there then there is probably quite a few freshers in the same halls - universities generally make an agreement with Unite to block book a certain number of rooms for freshers :smile:

advantages are that it is generally all ensuite, self-catered, small flats and a nice environment :smile:
Reply 9
orangepossum

They don't have enough university owned accommodation to accommodate us all. Do you know which hall you're in yet?
mdhey89

Seconded. It's been communicated to all students that there is a shortage of accommodation this year, such is the overwhelming demand for places at the University of Edinburgh this year. The University has striven to meet the increasing demand over recent years, notably through the construction of Chancellor's Court and Darroch Court, and the new John Burnett House due for completion in August of next year, but short-term measures are occasionally necessary. The university has met its promise to you (and be grateful that they didn't decide not to make this promise at the beginning of the year- they generally have no obligation to house you) by housing you in university-approved accommodation. This means that the accommodation you have been offered will be at least equal in standard to the accommodation they themselves provide. You may not be in with only Edinburgh University students but, actually, this is how the University of Edinburgh works anyway- the halls of residence are also used by the Edinburgh College of Art and by the Edinburgh Agricultural College. Essentially, you are going to have the same quality of experience in first year accommodation but simply with different landlords.
Reply 11
Why would someone who applied in the first case to Edinburgh Uni for accommodation have to be dumped in a bloody Unite ****hole?

After having enough friends staying in Unite accommodation, none of them recieved their deposits back due to 'damages', any problems were ignored (no running water in their room for a month, etc) and the fact that they seem to allow anyone to walk off the street and stay there (Meet the guy who stayed there for a week and managed to bump the communal TV and stereo. Unite wouldn't give them contact details for the guy so they could get them back).

To be honest, you're better to have a look at gumtree for a private flat.. I wouldn't trust unite as far as I could throw them!
Reply 12
Absurd
They don't have enough university owned accomodation to accomodate us all. Do you know which hall you're in yet?

Im in Portsburgh court or something like that.

It does look really nice and its ensuite :smile: but I've read lots of reports about how rubbish it is and I'm not impressed about having to share with students from other universities :s-smilie: . Oh well I guess I'll have to wait until the morning to hear what the accommodation services have to say.
Reply 13
mdhey89

defo agree with that!

@ the thread maker, Do you have to pay the 7 or k a year it quotes on the unite website?
Reply 14
smellslikemarmite
Be grateful you even GOT a place. Whinge whinge whinge.

ditto, because so many students accepted edinburgh this year i am likely to have to live at home with my parents and am not looking forward to the hour and a half commute to the hospital once a week (its about 15 minutes from pollock or 30 from town)
Reply 15
orangepossum
Im in Portsburgh court or something like that.

It does look really nice and its ensuite :smile: but I've read lots of reports about how rubbish it is and I'm not impressed about having to share with students from other universities :s-smilie: . Oh well I guess I'll have to wait until the morning to hear what the accommodation services have to say.

Ah, Portsburgh. Same :five: Where did you read these reviews? :indiff: I suppose it's good in that we might have a (slightly) wider social circle. Maybe?

Oh, are you phoning them up? They did say in the e-mail that they're probably unable to offer us other accomodation.
Reply 16
orangepossum

I don't think they have booked only your place - probably Edinburgh Uni has booked many places for many students so serious, don't worry. I don't think you'll be all alone. Also, like that you'll get to know people from your Uni (at class) and from other Unis (in the halls!). It is going to be great, chill.
Grum Fox
Why would someone who applied in the first case to Edinburgh Uni for accommodation have to be dumped in a bloody Unite ****hole?

After having enough friends staying in Unite accommodation, none of them recieved their deposits back due to 'damages', any problems were ignored (no running water in their room for a month, etc) and the fact that they seem to allow anyone to walk off the street and stay there (Meet the guy who stayed there for a week and managed to bump the communal TV and stereo. Unite wouldn't give them contact details for the guy so they could get them back).

To be honest, you're better to have a look at gumtree for a private flat.. I wouldn't trust unite as far as I could throw them!

Looks like your friend had a bad run in. As far as I can tell Unite look decent. The University may well hold back your deposit if you cause damage to the flat, and you're an outright optimist if you think that accommodation services simply fix every problem there is. That said, I'm sure they're not perfect. But I can assure you that at this stage, randomers on gumtree are not better.

Op; you've got a nerve to complain. Get over it and accept the offer.
Dont complain...Unite may have crap customer service in some areas but i still choose them over uni halls....in my view uni halls are disgusting places...private accomo all the way:biggrin:
Reply 19
nearlyheadlessian
Looks like your friend had a bad run in. As far as I can tell Unite look decent. The University may well hold back your deposit if you cause damage to the flat, and you're an outright optimist if you think that accommodation services simply fix every problem there is. That said, I'm sure they're not perfect. But I can assure you that at this stage, randomers on gumtree are not better.

Op; you've got a nerve to complain. Get over it and accept the offer.

Well... I said it wasn't just the one. Those are from 5 people over 3 different blocks in different towns which had their deposits held over damages that never happened.

The point that I take from the OP is that they applied for university accommodation. Not everyone has the financial resources to be able to drop £5k on these unite halls.

The fact is as well, with unite halls, you do get wee jakies doing an NC in Dole Collecting at Bawjaws College in the flats. At least with university halls, there's some degree of quality control and they're there to provide a service, rather than make a profit out of you.

The OP doesn't have a nerve to complain - the university made a promise to accommodate all 1st years. If they can't meet this using their own resources, then it's not appropriate to offer that promise.

Latest

Trending

Trending