The Student Room Group

STIs and Smear tests - information and questions

Scroll to see replies

I am wondering if its likely that I have an STI. Basically, I had unprotected sex on Thursday, but he didn't ejaculate inside of me (I know I know, I can still get pregnant and can still get STIs - thats not what I am questioning), however, 2 days later (so basically, on Saturday) I noticed I had white, thick, creamy vaginal discharge. But I don't have it anymore, its quite normal again. However, I've had a burning vagina today - nothing when I pee that I've noticed, but its just burning for no reason. Is it likely that I have an STI? How soon would symptoms start to appear? I don't want to face the ambarrassment of going to a GUM clinic, what do I do?!
Original post by Anonymous
I am wondering if its likely that I have an STI. Basically, I had unprotected sex on Thursday, but he didn't ejaculate inside of me (I know I know, I can still get pregnant and can still get STIs - thats not what I am questioning), however, 2 days later (so basically, on Saturday) I noticed I had white, thick, creamy vaginal discharge. But I don't have it anymore, its quite normal again. However, I've had a burning vagina today - nothing when I pee that I've noticed, but its just burning for no reason. Is it likely that I have an STI? How soon would symptoms start to appear? I don't want to face the ambarrassment of going to a GUM clinic, what do I do?!

Deal with the embarressment and go. They won't look down on you for going, it looks better that you care enough about yourself to go get checked. STI'S can appear from a day afterwards to a couple of months depending what ones.

It probably is nothing, but is it worth the worry and risk of infertility, or dementia (ok very extreme if left years) in the case of syphilis??
Ok so I had unprotected sex a year ago, had no symptoms or anything since. I dont know much about her past, although I know it wasnt her first time and she wasnt a raging slut (she was on the pill). We were both under 17 at the time btw. is it likely that I have an STI? and if so, realistically, what ones could I have? (notice realistic taking into account age etc, not needle users). cheers
Reply 983
why do you only get a smear test at 23-25 years and above?
surly you cant only get cervial cancer from having sex! just like you dont only get lung cancer from smoking.
cancer is a growth of cells so if a growth of cells started in your cervix then surly you can get cervical cancer even as a virgin?
i think the age should be 16 because you can start having sex then so you can get cervical cancer then, and it shouldn't only be non-virgins (for lack of a better word!) it should be everyone!
Reply 984

Ok so I had unprotected sex a year ago, had no symptoms or anything since. I dont know much about her past, although I know it wasnt her first time and she wasnt a raging slut (she was on the pill). We were both under 17 at the time btw. is it likely that I have an STI? and if so, realistically, what ones could I have? (notice realistic taking into account age etc, not needle users). cheers

chlamydia, HIV/AIDS, goneria any STI
Original post by A.Keating
why do you only get a smear test at 23-25 years and above?
surly you cant only get cervial cancer from having sex! just like you dont only get lung cancer from smoking.
cancer is a growth of cells so if a growth of cells started in your cervix then surly you can get cervical cancer even as a virgin?
i think the age should be 16 because you can start having sex then so you can get cervical cancer then, and it shouldn't only be non-virgins (for lack of a better word!) it should be everyone!

Why aged 25+
You can get smears if younger than this if you have symptoms, however while you still go through puberty the cervix undergoes changes around the transformation zone which are perfectly normal, but may be mistaken for something more serious.

Cervical cancer only from sex
You can get cervical ca if you are a virgin, however studies have shown you are far more likely to get cervical ca if you've been exposed to HPV (had sex with someone who infected with hpv)

So- No it shouldnt be at 16, otherwise far more patients will have to undergo LLETZ which removes cells, but also part of the cervix which can affect ability to carry children, putting people at risk for what is most likely a normal cell that just looks reactive due to hormones.

Its also RARE to get cxca under 25. Does happen, but not often.

People have sex before 16 anyway.

And everyone over the age of 25 is invited for a smear, its up to them to go and get it.

And i assume by everyone you aren't including men?
Reply 986
Original post by Bathwiggle
Why aged 25+
You can get smears if younger than this if you have symptoms, however while you still go through puberty the cervix undergoes changes around the transformation zone which are perfectly normal, but may be mistaken for something more serious.

Cervical cancer only from sex
You can get cervical ca if you are a virgin, however studies have shown you are far more likely to get cervical ca if you've been exposed to HPV (had sex with someone who infected with hpv)

So- No it shouldnt be at 16, otherwise far more patients will have to undergo LLETZ which removes cells, but also part of the cervix which can affect ability to carry children, putting people at risk for what is most likely a normal cell that just looks reactive due to hormones.

Its also RARE to get cxca under 25. Does happen, but not often.

People have sex before 16 anyway.

And everyone over the age of 25 is invited for a smear, its up to them to go and get it.

And i assume by everyone you aren't including men?

okay so maybe ot 16. xD i know people have sex before 16. studies have shown you are far more likly to get lung cancer if you smoke or have smoked, but you can still get FREE check ups on the NHS even if you have never smoked in your life! but if you want a cervical cancer check up bfore your 25 (obvs if you have the symptoms) then why do you have to pay? thts what im trying to say why do you get it free if your over 25 and not whenever? yeah you should get invited when your 25 but you should still get it free if your under that age!
if you want a cervical cancer check up bfore your 25 (obvs if you have the symptoms) then why do you have to pay? thts what im trying to say why do you get it free if your over 25 and not whenever? yeah you should get invited when your 25 but you should still get it free if your under that age!

You don;t have to pay under 25... where the hell did you get that from?

If you don't have symptoms and thre is no reason to have one you may be told to go privately, then you have to pay.
Reply 988
You don;t have to pay under 25... where the hell did you get that from?

If you don't have symptoms and thre is no reason to have one you may be told to go privately, then you have to pay.

WOW no need to get all stressy!
my cousin is 20 she had all the symptoms and she had to have an argument with the doctor to get it done and she had to pay at an NHS hospital. she lives in east angula.
WOW no need to get all stressy!
my cousin is 20 she had all the symptoms and she had to have an argument with the doctor to get it done and she had to pay at an NHS hospital. she lives in east anglia.

She'll have paid privately, nhs does not charge.

A NHS hospital won't do it unless its an inpatient or colposcopy, and they wouldn't charge then unless its private.
Reply 990
She'll have paid privately, nhs does not charge.

A NHS hospital won't do it unless its an inpatient or colposcopy, and they wouldn't charge then unless its private.

okay.
If you're a virgin and have only ever given oral sexbuf want an STD check - would you just have a throat swab or would they do a vaginal swab too?
do you have to give your real name at a std/sti check up? Also do they put this down in your medial history/records?
can you get STI if BOTH are virgins?
do you have to give your real name at a std/sti check up? Also do they put this down in your medial history/records?

walk in center no, but all medical records are private and confidential, so no one other than your health care providers should be able to see them. they put them on hte record as you having the test and the result, but that doesn't affect anything

Original post by britishchink
can you get STI if BOTH are virgins?

If you've both done nothing and never touched another person no.

can pass things on through oral though
Reply 995
A friend I slept with one time told my he has syphilis, I looked inline/leaflets and I have no symptoms whatsoever, The thought of going to a sti clinic or whatever just stresses me out too much, any advice if i need to go or not??
If you've both done nothing and never touched another person no.

can pass things on through oral though

Just seen this and wanted to say that theoretically it is possible but unlikely. They could have caught something off their mother while in the womb.

Original post by kangarooz
A friend I slept with one time told my he has syphilis, I looked inline/leaflets and I have no symptoms whatsoever, The thought of going to a sti clinic or whatever just stresses me out too much, any advice if i need to go or not??

Sometimes the symptoms of syphilis in the early stages are so mild that you don't even know you have it. Syphilis is a nasty disease if you do not catch it and treat it early as it can progress and be very dangerous. If there is any possibility that you could have it (even if you don't have any symptoms), I'd get tested out to be certain! I don't want to scare you though but I do think it is better to be safe than sorry :smile: Clinics are not as stressful as they may seem before you go to one; the nurses are very nice, nobody judges you and it is fairly quick to get tested.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sazzy890
Just seen this and wanted to say that theoretically it is possible but unlikely. They could have caught something off their mother while in the womb.

Edit, just re-read, very very unlikely for them to have got to this point and not realised that they are suffering from it, but theoretically tes

Original post by kangarooz

Go get checked, even if for your own peace of mind. Do you really want to risk your health?
(edited 12 years ago)
I recently recieved my results for my first smear test. They came back positive for mild changes (cin 1). I've been asked to go back in 6 months.

I have gotten myself in quite a state over this. I am being treated for depression and this has only added to my stress levels.

I delayed having a smear as I was still a virgin at 25, but I have now been sexualy active for just over a year.

I am going to visit my GP in about a month for my depression and I plan to mention my worries then.
I recently recieved my results for my first smear test. They came back positive for mild changes (cin 1). I've been asked to go back in 6 months.

I have gotten myself in quite a state over this. I am being treated for depression and this has only added to my stress levels.

I delayed having a smear as I was still a virgin at 25, but I have now been sexualy active for just over a year.

I am going to visit my GP in about a month for my depression and I plan to mention my worries then.

My mistake, results were borderline. I feel a bit better now.

Quick Reply

Latest