The Student Room Group

STIs and Smear tests - information and questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deviant182
Its always recommended to have a smear test done regardless of how long you have been sexually active. As cervical cancer doesnt only happen in those who have had sex. So id always recommend it. A smear test doesn't just show hpv but will also show any other abnormalities and show if your cervix is healthy. So never put off having a smear test please!
As for the sexual health check, yes. You can make the appointment and ask for them to do also do a sexual health check at the same time. It saves time and is also less discomfort for you. That way they can process everything at the same time and you will get both results when they are processed. The smear test may take longer depending on how many are in the system etc.
Best of luck with it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: Is it not riskier for my health to have a smear done now when the chances of any abnormalities are very low and then have another 3 years to wait for another check though? Also everything I've read says your smear results are posted to you - for privacy reasons I'd much rather have them texted like with STD results, if I get the smear done at the sexual health clinic are they more likely to agree to text the results rather than post them?
It is better to get a mear test done now rather than wait three years.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you :smile: Is it not riskier for my health to have a smear done now when the chances of any abnormalities are very low and then have another 3 years to wait for another check though? Also everything I've read says your smear results are posted to you - for privacy reasons I'd much rather have them texted like with STD results, if I get the smear done at the sexual health clinic are they more likely to agree to text the results rather than post them?

You can ask however they do usually send them via post as they are processed differently than sti results.
But no one will know what they are, its just like receiving any other letter through the mail.
And it is not riskier for your health, despite what the media leads you to believe. As you are wanting a smear test done its more or less the same process you go through to get it done, so if you are wanting a sti check then you may as well get a smear done also. Its quick and painless, all you will feel is a little discomfort and thats nothing compared to the risk of waiting!
It is better to get a mear test done now rather than wait three years.

You can ask however they do usually send them via post as they are processed differently than sti results.
But no one will know what they are, its just like receiving any other letter through the mail.
And it is not riskier for your health, despite what the media leads you to believe. As you are wanting a smear test done its more or less the same process you go through to get it done, so if you are wanting a sti check then you may as well get a smear done also. Its quick and painless, all you will feel is a little discomfort and thats nothing compared to the risk of waiting!

My post gets opened if I don't get to it first (privacy is not at all respected in my household!) which is why I don't want the results sent to my house! I don't mean that I'd wait another 3 years, I mean if I get a smear done now, I can't have another for 3 years - I'm unlikely to have any abnormalities show up in a smear now, whereas in the next year or two there might be something, something that would therefore go unchecked for a longer period of time if I have a smear now. Does that make sense?

The first STD test I had certainly wasn't quick or painless :/ I hope the smear's not as bad as that was!
Well ask them if they can send a text or just ring you with the results however this would all depend on who your local trust is as well as your gp.
If not can you not ask them to send them to another address. It differs slightly if you have a smear test done at a sexual health clinic but its best to ask them as they do not have to inform your local gp but again this depends on the area ypu are in.
However im confused as to why you wouldn't want your parents / household seeing you have had a smear test? This is something every woman goes through so that wouldn't be a great surprise to anyone. Your a sti results come separate. And like I have already said, your sexual history plays no part on a smear test. It doesnt matter if you are a virgin or if you have sex 20 times a day, a smear test should still be done when you are called up. You can be a virgin and still have hpv, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer or simple abnormalities. Yes sex can make the chances greater but it doesnt make hpv appear or make cervical cancer happen just because you have had sex.
Only you can make the decision on whether or not to go. However, I would recommend you visit. You can always request another smear in less than 3 years if you are very worried or have any symptoms etc you want checking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well ask them if they can send a text or just ring you with the results however this would all depend on who your local trust is as well as your gp.
If not can you not ask them to send them to another address. It differs slightly if you have a smear test done at a sexual health clinic but its best to ask them as they do not have to inform your local gp but again this depends on the area ypu are in.
However im confused as to why you wouldn't want your parents / household seeing you have had a smear test? This is something every woman goes through so that wouldn't be a great surprise to anyone. Your a sti results come separate. And like I have already said, your sexual history plays no part on a smear test. It doesnt matter if you are a virgin or if you have sex 20 times a day, a smear test should still be done when you are called up. You can be a virgin and still have hpv, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer or simple abnormalities. Yes sex can make the chances greater but it doesnt make hpv appear or make cervical cancer happen just because you have had sex.
Only you can make the decision on whether or not to go. However, I would recommend you visit. You can always request another smear in less than 3 years if you are very worried or have any symptoms etc you want checking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very conservative family when it comes to sex!! And the NHS advice doesn't encourage smears if you've never been sexually active, particularly as HPV is hardly ever found in virgins, so it'd be pretty obvious that I was sexually active if someone opened my results (which they probably would!).

I'll probably wait another 6 months and have it done then, on reflection. Thanks for your input!
This might be slightly off topic, but perhaps not. Are period like cramps that are not to do with your period a symptom of cervical cancer?
This might be slightly off topic, but perhaps not. Are period like cramps that are not to do with your period a symptom of cervical cancer?

Yes but it is also a symptom of thousands of other things. Ovulation pain, cysts, endometriosis, PCOS etc. If you are worried get to a dr and ask to be referred to a gyno
Okay so if you're a virgin you don't need a smear test because you cant get cervical cancer.
What if, you're a lesbian and have only ever had lesbian sex?
is a smear still necessary?

just a question.
Original post by jamesubrown
Okay so if you're a virgin you don't need a smear test because you cant get cervical cancer.
What if, you're a lesbian and have only ever had lesbian sex?
is a smear still necessary?

just a question.

Smear tests are always necessary. It is sexual activity that is said to alter the state of the cells. And as far as I know lesbians still have sex! Be it with each other or using sex toys etc.
A smear test shows if you have any bad cells, whether your cervix etc are healthy and nothing looks abnormal.
You can still get cervical cancer it is just said that a lot of sexual partners can increase your chances due to the hpv strain etc. But it is said that the pill increases breast cancer yet decreases chance of cervical cancer or something like that.
To me nearly everything these days will increase your chances of getting something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had an STI test today and it is INCREDIBLY painful down there. My first STI test was horrendously painful but I thought it was because I'd only had sex once before and the speculum was too big, plus it took the nurse ages to be able to get a swab. However, this time it was a different clinic and they just told me to swab myself as if I was putting a tampon in. I got a searing, stabbing pain as I did the swab, and all evening I've had a burning pain inside me. It's agony to urinate, and I can feel the pain right into my insides. Did I push the swab in too far and damage my cervix? I remember it hurting into the next day after my first test but I didn't expect the same amount of pain this time round! It's burning right from the entrance of my vagina through to what feels like my uterus! As well as the stabbing pain in my cervix I've got cramps. Is this normal or should I be worried?
Also there was a little bit of blood on the swab!
Reply 1071
This sounds like a silly question but are smear tests always done by a female doctor or is there a chance you would get a male doctor? I was invited to go ages ago but haven't got round to doing it yet out of fear/not having enough time.
Original post by M_Craig
This sounds like a silly question but are smear tests always done by a female doctor or is there a chance you would get a male doctor? I was invited to go ages ago but haven't got round to doing it yet out of fear/not having enough time.

Smear tests are done by whoever. You are perfectly within your rights to request a woman doctor if thats what you feel more comfortable with. If you have a male a female has to be present in the room for your safety as well as the doctors. I had a male for my first and a female for my second. At the end of the day they are just doing their job. Anything you do or dont have they'll have seen it before!
Please get it done as soon as you can. Embarrassment is not worth putting it off for!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1073
Smear tests are done by whoever. You are perfectly within your rights to request a woman doctor if thats what you feel more comfortable with. If you have a male a female has to be present in the room for your safety as well as the doctors. I had a male for my first and a female for my second. At the end of the day they are just doing their job. Anything you do or dont have they'll have seen it before!
Please get it done as soon as you can. Embarrassment is not worth putting it off for!

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you!
I had an STI test today and it is INCREDIBLY painful down there. My first STI test was horrendously painful but I thought it was because I'd only had sex once before and the speculum was too big, plus it took the nurse ages to be able to get a swab. However, this time it was a different clinic and they just told me to swab myself as if I was putting a tampon in. I got a searing, stabbing pain as I did the swab, and all evening I've had a burning pain inside me. It's agony to urinate, and I can feel the pain right into my insides. Did I push the swab in too far and damage my cervix? I remember it hurting into the next day after my first test but I didn't expect the same amount of pain this time round! It's burning right from the entrance of my vagina through to what feels like my uterus! As well as the stabbing pain in my cervix I've got cramps. Is this normal or should I be worried?

You shouldnt feel any pain when doing the swab as the swab should look like a slightly bigger version than those cotton buds you buy in the shops. There is a part on these swabs that you snap off to put into the specimen jar, that little line where it breaks is where you are meant to insert it to and then just swab around the vaginal walls in a circular motion.
Chances are you could have disrupted some cells or if you have an sti you could have just disrupted something and flared it up. If the pain doesnt go away then i suggest you go back and ask for an urgent examination to see if anything else is going on. Are you due on your period at any point? There could be a very simple reason for the pain, yet it could potentially be something else such as endometriosis. Its best to go and see your gp or go back to the clinic to ask to be seen as soon as possible. Hope you feel better :smile:
You shouldnt feel any pain when doing the swab as the swab should look like a slightly bigger version than those cotton buds you buy in the shops. There is a part on these swabs that you snap off to put into the specimen jar, that little line where it breaks is where you are meant to insert it to and then just swab around the vaginal walls in a circular motion.
Chances are you could have disrupted some cells or if you have an sti you could have just disrupted something and flared it up. If the pain doesnt go away then i suggest you go back and ask for an urgent examination to see if anything else is going on. Are you due on your period at any point? There could be a very simple reason for the pain, yet it could potentially be something else such as endometriosis. Its best to go and see your gp or go back to the clinic to ask to be seen as soon as possible. Hope you feel better :smile:

Thanks for your reply. Are you sure it shouldn't hurt? I can't imagine swabbing the cervix not hurting and I figure it's similar to a smear test and I've never heard anyone say their smear wasn't at least uncomfortable? I was due on a few days ago but I'm late (this isn't a great week for me!!). I might leave it and see if it settles down tomorrow and if not get an appointment after the weekend - I'm guessing I'm more likely to have just irritated my cervix than actually done any damage, right?!
Yes more than likely you hve irritated the lining of the cervix. Especially if you have never done a swab before, it will be a shock to the body if you understand?
There may be a little discomfort but nothing like the pain you have described.
However if you are due on your period and you have done a swab, you will be swollen and tender as that whats happens before you menstruate. Thus taking a swab may have just caused some minor irritation.
Hopefully it will settle down, especially if your period comes along.
If not, ask for another examination just to be on the safe side :smile:
Reply 1077
Thanks for your reply. Are you sure it shouldn't hurt? I can't imagine swabbing the cervix not hurting and I figure it's similar to a smear test and I've never heard anyone say their smear wasn't at least uncomfortable? I was due on a few days ago but I'm late (this isn't a great week for me!!). I might leave it and see if it settles down tomorrow and if not get an appointment after the weekend - I'm guessing I'm more likely to have just irritated my cervix than actually done any damage, right?!

Smear tests involve a torture instrument called a speculum, and also scraping cells off the cervix. A swab is just twirling a cotton bud inside you. They're the same area but completely different things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm 16, currently a virgin and interested in getting the Gardasil vaccine.

I'm gay, and whilst I don't plan on being promiscuous, I understand that people can get HPV and genital warts if they only have one sexual partner in their lifetimes. I'm wondering if anyone thinks it would be worth getting the vaccination? It's about £540 for all three doses so I am considering waiting until I am at university and then getting a loan from the bank or a credit card and promptly paying the amount off over a period of about a year. When you think about it, over a year it's the equivalent of an expensive phone contract. I certainly wouldn't want to be asking my parents for the money anyway, since firstly, they don't have those sorts of funds and secondly, they would be extremely uncomfortable with the thought of it.

I also want to know if people think the vaccine is safe. All medications/ treatments have side effects, I suppose.

So: Is it worth the money? Will it be a good idea? Is it worth it?
I'm female and have a lot of unprotected anal sex with my partner. I know it's high-risk for infection transmission, so I want to get checked out but I don't even know if it's possible? My last STI test came back clear but obviously that was only testing cells from the cervix (and a blood test for HIV etc). It's possible I haven't got any infections vaginally but could have been infected anally or orally right? Will a sexual health clinic test those areas if you ask?

Quick Reply

Latest