The Student Room Group

When do you actually get the degree?

Im due to start my pharmacy course :woo: in Sept

First and foremost, do you have the whole 1st, 2.1, 2.2 degree classification in on the pharmacy course?

now to my main question

i was talking to a friend and was unsure whether you get the MPharm degree after the 4th year of after the Registration year :s-smilie:.

providing you have the degree classification system, do you get ur degree result 4th or 5th (reg) year?
Do you also get a grade after each year?

Also for example, this might sound stupid, but careers and prospects are always changing, what about applying for other courses, grad schemes while on the pharmacy course. I knew a person one who after the 3rd year of her pharmacy course went on to apply for a graduate job at a finance company and got a place.

Any help with these will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
As far as I am aware, you get the degree after 4th year (at uni)> Yes, each year you get your marks and yes there is degree classification.

I don't know much about the graduate scheme, does this person you know get paid well in the finance company?
Reply 2
As for Pay..she has been fully ACCA qualified now i think for around 2 years. As for pay, id imagine it would be similar if not a little higher to the pay of a ACCA qualified person

The reason I wasnt sure about the classification was that i know people who apply for other course while on a course them selves for obvious reasons (missing out first time etc).

One person even mentioned that some Pharmacy schools, you can choose to leave after 3 years and get a BSc in Pharmaceutical Studies or something along the line instead, dont know if thats true.
yeah that's true, you can get a bsc after 3 years.
Reply 4
So is it a case of them saying, ok after three years you on for example a 2.1 or 1st. Or is it only when you decide you want to stop at the 3 years?

Thanks for your help
Reply 5
If you want the MPharm degree then you have to do the full four years, and pass the final year. If you decide to not do the fourth year you will only be rewarded with the BSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences (this is what you'd get at LJMU if you left then). This is also true if you fail the fourth year and don't resit the exams to get all the credits. Your degree class will depend on your average marks up until graduation.

There is no point stopping after the third year because you might as well have been doing the pharmaceutical sciences course all along. I would also recommend doing your preregistration year straight after you graduate - simply to get it out of the way. While you don't have to have your preregistration to work in industry, you would not be able to call yourself an industrial pharmacist and nor would you be able to practice as a pharmacist or join the pharmacist register.

Latest

Trending

Trending