The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

nelz26
I sound like a right dumbass by saying this, but how do you know if your modules are core ones? And also, how can I find out how many credits things are worth?!!?:confused:

Find your course in the Programme catalogue here

http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/programmesearch.asp?T=S&L=UG

If you like just post your degree course on here and I'll look it up for you myself and give you a general idea of your first year module layout :smile:

When you find your course click on it and the page that's loaded up should contain all the modules that you will be completing (Including how many credits each module is worth) Normally the modules you do should add up to 120 credits unless otherwise stated.

Those listed as compulsory are your "core" modules which you have to do :yep:

There may also be optional modules which are a bit like electives i.e. you have a choice which ones to do, but you are limited to the optional modules that the course lists.

When looking at your modules in the first year on that page it may say something like "candidates are required to study x amount of credits of elective modules which may include further choices from the optional modules for this programme.".

These are basically the modules where you have freedom to choose whatever you want :p:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
TheWizard
Find your course in the Programme catalogue here

http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/programmesearch.asp?T=S&L=UG

If you like just post your degree course on here and I'll look it up for you myself and give you a general idea of your first year module layout :smile:

Thanks for your help wizard. Yeh I had a little look at that link a couple weeks ago.

So I'm doing a LLB Law degree, and it says that I have to pass any 100 credits. I also have 5 compulsory modules, which total 120 credits, so does that mean there are 20 credits which could be failed? (Worst case scenario of course!!!)

And it looks like I can't choose any electives then?? :frown:
Yep that means you could fail either LAW1040 (English legal system) 10 credits or LAW160 (Legal skills) 20 credits and still pass the required 100 credits to move into the next year and be eligible to get a certificate of higher education in law (That probably means more to you than it does to me, I haven't a clue what it is :p: )

And no you don't have any option for electives in the first year but there does seem to be plenty of opportunity to customize your second and third years!

Your second year only has 10 credits of compulsory modules so you could either take 110 of optionals or if you wanted to take some electives choose (This is just an example) 90 credits of optionals and then a 20 credit elective of your choice or 100 credits of optionals and then a 10 credit elective during one of the semesters :smile:

The third year seems pretty smiliar too, just 20 creds of compulsory modules and the other 100 credits you fill in with optionals/electives. Because of the flexibility of your course you might be permitted to only take 100 credits if you felt like it. Of course this means you have to make sure you don't fail any of the modules you choose but it would reduce your workload slightly :wink:

And on a side note, your course looks really interesting, I would have loved to do some sort of law related degree but wasn't sure if I would be any good :frown: I'm doing a module this year called business and the legal environment and I'm thinking of doing an optional module called employment law in my third year for my HRM degree and they are probably the ones I'm looking forward to most! :biggrin:
Reply 23
Aw thanks so much for your help! You're certainly more clued up about this module malarky than I am!! It's cleared up all my confusion.

Well I can only hope it's interesting, I've never studied law before. What degree are you doing? HRM????
nelz26
Aw thanks so much for your help! You're certainly more clued up about this module malarky than I am!! It's cleared up all my confusion.

Well I can only hope it's interesting, I've never studied law before. What degree are you doing? HRM????

Yep Human Resource Management. But I wouldn't mind focusing on either the law side of employment or the psychological side of managing people and motitivating them, so more to do with the behaviouralist side of the workplace :biggrin:

And no problem, I remember how confused I was before Uni, I don't mind helping people out when they are in the same situation!

Latest