The Student Room Group

'You're going to Cambridge - now what?': Advice from Team Peterhouse

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ProudPops
Thank you.

Can I ask another? Doctors surgeries? With the Cambridge terms being 8/9 weeks, I am guessing the kids still need to register at a local surgery? Is there a general one they all use or one for each college?

I would definitely recommend getting registered at a surgery in Cambridge, Your daughter will most likely want to use Huntingdon Road surgery, as it's a two minute walk from Fitz. They may even come into College during Freshers week to register them all.

She does, of course, have the choice to go elsewhere, but Huntingdon Road Surgery is the one used by most students at Hill Colleges.
Original post by esquire125
Would you recommend bringing a printer seeing as we will have to print out lecture notes ourselves?

Mmmm. Depends what subject you're doing, I think. Personally, I had a printer and I don't think it was at all cost-effective. That said, I didn't have to print the majority of my lecture handouts, but neither did people who typed their lecture notes. If you're doing a subject where all your annotations will be words (so no maths equations or symbols), you might prefer to type and do everything on a laptop. If you're doing something with elements of maths, then a printer to print lecture notes in advance so you can annotate them handwritten might be beneficial. Don't forget you can always buy one when you're there if you find you need one.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
I would definitely recommend getting registered at a surgery in Cambridge, Your daughter will most likely want to use Huntingdon Road surgery, as it's a two minute walk from Fitz. They may even come into College during Freshers week to register them all.

She does, of course, have the choice to go elsewhere, but Huntingdon Road Surgery is the one used by most students at Hill Colleges.

As someone who got more use out of the GP during uni than the previous 10+ years combined, one that is as close as possible to college is very necessary when you're feeling awful (though how long online appointments persist is something to consider...).
Sorry. Can I ask another question on fees?. I Understand the tutu in cost is paid directly by SFE to the university. But what about accommodation and kitchen charge/food. Is that billed in advance in arrears. Can you pay by credit card for example or does the student need to pay?

Thanks.
Original post by ProudPops
Sorry. Can I ask another question on fees?. I Understand the tutu in cost is paid directly by SFE to the university. But what about accommodation and kitchen charge/food. Is that billed in advance in arrears. Can you pay by credit card for example or does the student need to pay?

Thanks.

The student receives a bill at the start of each term - this will be for rent, kitchen charge, deposit in the very first term. After that it will be the rent and charge, plus bills from the previous term - catering/bar/cafe/printing/electricity use/fines (e.g. room damage, if applicable!). Some may vary by college as to what is included though, dependent on if they have a cafe or bar, if printing doesn't require you to top up in advance or electricity use is automatically included in the rent/other bills.

For payment, there will be a reference number on the bill statement so anyone can pay it to the required account, just make sure it's the right reference included so they can attribute it to the right person.
(edited 3 years ago)
Has anyone received any information from Kings regarding accommodation? Still haven't received the pack they said we would in the post so just wondering if it should have reached me by now. Thanks in advance!
Original post by Nichedinosaur
Has anyone received any information from Kings regarding accommodation? Still haven't received the pack they said we would in the post so just wondering if it should have reached me by now. Thanks in advance!

I haven’t received anything either. Strangely on their fresher’s info page they said we have forms to return before 5th Sept and it’s already end of Aug...
Not Kings, but Clare haven't sent anything about accommodation either beyond a 2 day window which the 'move in' slot will be in.
What a great thread. A must for any new Cambridge student/parent
On the subject of bikes - having spent her life being made to wear a helmet, is it the norm in Cambridge these days?
Original post by ReadingMum
On the subject of bikes - having spent her life being made to wear a helmet, is it the norm in Cambridge these days?

Tbh most people don't (guilty of this) but I'd encourage it, at least until she has familiarity with the roads. The biggest danger is likely to be pedestrians and other cyclists more than traffic (especially as there's a lot of cycle lanes and restricted traffic in the very centre); especially tourists! Though I doubt that's too much of an issue just yet.

Also pls get them to actually follow what are one way streets... Those people really are accidents waiting to happen.
Good to know she won't be completely out of step if she does - back when I was at Oxford Poly in the 80s a friend came off his bike bombing down Headington hill and the hospital said that his helmet had undoubtedly saved his life. This has made me very keen on her wearing one at all times.
Good to know she won't be completely out of step if she does - back when I was at Oxford Poly in the 80s a friend came off his bike bombing down Headington hill and the hospital said that his helmet had undoubtedly saved his life. This has made me very keen on her wearing one at all times.

Yes. Seen my fair share of accidents and near misses, though thankfully never myself. My other thing is - get good lights, something hefty on the front especially!! It's really worth the investment, and as someone put it to me, you want to actually see the road as well as be seen. I live in Cambridge to work now and the number of times my boyfriend and I have been driving and some idiot on a bike just whizzes round, no lights - it's scary how much you can't be seen!

We only have our bikes and no other form of transport and in ten years, have never worn helmets in Cambridge nor have had any need to. However, it is generally a horror show at the beginning of the new academic year of maniacs, often who have not ever read the Highway Code, who think they know how to ride a bike, going around at break-neck speed having accidents and causing accidents.

These are the must-dos for cycling in Cambridge: spend at least £40 on a good D-lock; always assume that someone will step off the pavement and into the road without looking right and left or looking at all (tourists think this is a free Disneyland exhibition and that people who live here are just background actors/extras); always wear a hi-viz tabard or jacket (except in summer) or during full daylight - get seen by all other road users especially cars; never forget that you have every right to use the road and do not be intimidated by cars tailgating you; if you are unsure of the Highway Code, look it up and read it before arriving in Cambridge (especially if you are from another country) and no, you are not allowed to cycle through red lights or ignore people waiting at zebra crossings. Always have a working set of bike lights about your personage or even better, get dynamos fitted. Always be courteous to pedestrians and put them first and always look out for dogs and children. Never attempt to overtake large clumps of other cyclists. And if all that seems like too much stress: walk instead! It’s a lovely place to walk about in.

We have also not received any information about accommodation from my son’s College. Hopefully soon. :smile:
Just to add my thoughts on cycling as a Professional Pedestrian (I - shamefully - cannot ride a bike and therefore walk everywhere!). Lights and a good lock are an absolute must. You never know when you might be travelling or where you might choose to leave your bike. There aren't many cars in central Cambridge, but plenty of pedestrians, so make sure you can be seen by them, as we don't tend to have lights on! At least once a term the police will do a spot check on cyclists without lights on the busiest thoroughfares, which should hopefully remind people! As someone who uses pavements, please don't cycle on pavements unless that's where the cycle lane is (this is definitely the case along Madingley Road).
Original post by CambridgeMama
We only have our bikes and no other form of transport and in ten years, have never worn helmets in Cambridge nor have had any need to.

I can't fault the rest of your advice on cycling in Cambridge, but I'm afraid I can't leave this sentence to stand without posing an alternative view.

The only time anyone ever NEEDS to be wearing a bike helmet is for the few seconds while to they have irrecoverably been knocked off their bike and their head is about to hit a kerb/car/hard surface. Your lack of 'need' over the last 10 years only reflects the fact that you and your family have never been put in these circumstances. It is not a sensible response on the precautionary principle.

Wearing a helmet is fortunately widespread, and is the only sensible response to the risks of cycling in a city with a large number of vehicles (who are nearly always in a hurry/angry), pedestrians (who seem to be always so deep in thought they have no sense of danger) and tourists (who behave as is road surfaces are simply photography platforms). There is at least one death per year of a cyclist in Cambridge.

Given the fact that large portions of the population of Cambridge are only there because of the talent they carry in their brains, the lack of helmet wearing seems an illogical, irreconcilable flaw in common sense.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 36

Please please please ensure she wears a helmet.

My son wore his the entire 4 years he was there, thank goodness. And it seems most people do.

By the way, the biggest danger really is unwary overseas tourists, looking the wrong way, or (more likely) not looking at all.

So at least that hazard should be reduced for the moment.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Just to add my thoughts on cycling as a Professional Pedestrian (I - shamefully - cannot ride a bike and therefore walk everywhere!). Lights and a good lock are an absolute must. You never know when you might be travelling or where you might choose to leave your bike. There aren't many cars in central Cambridge, but plenty of pedestrians, so make sure you can be seen by them, as we don't tend to have lights on! At least once a term the police will do a spot check on cyclists without lights on the busiest thoroughfares, which should hopefully remind people! As someone who uses pavements, please don't cycle on pavements unless that's where the cycle lane is (this is definitely the case along Madingley Road).

You’ve got some very sound advice there @Peterhouse Admissions: but there is no shame in not cycling. As far as I am aware, walking is much healthier than cycling on the whole and I think that it is a lot less stressful. Cambridge Cycling Campaign has an excellent Cambridge-specific safety video, maybe they attend Freshers’ Week? I do not know if I can link to it here, I will try to: https://www.camcycle.org.uk/resources/welcome/ and also for those who are interested in the debate https://www.camcycle.org.uk/resources/helmets/ and lastly these maps are really useful and free https://www.camcycle.org.uk/resources/map/
Reply 38
Original post by CambridgeMama
also for those who are interested in the debate https://www.camcycle.org.uk/resources/helmets/

I must say I was unaware of a debate about wearing a helmet. A (probably too quick) read of some of the resources in that link seem more concerned that a law to require helmet wearing will reduce the number of cyclists, rather than the even marginal benefits of wearing one. As there's no law in the UK requiring them I'm not sure it's a real issue.

I'd still *encourage* anyone cycling in Cambridge, or anywhere, to wear a helmet and indeed hi-vis.
wrt the helmets debate, the summary points of this study are probably the most worth reading:
Case-control studies suggest cyclists who choose to wear helmets generally have fewer head injuries than non-wearers

Before and after data show enforced helmet laws discourage cycling but produce no obvious response in percentage of head injuries

This contradiction may be due to risk compensation, incorrect helmet wearing, reduced safety in numbers, or incorrect adjustment for confounders in case-control studies

Governments should focus on factors such as speeding, drink-driving, failure to obey road rules, poor road design, and cycling without lights at night

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending