The Student Room Group

'You're going to Cambridge - now what?': Advice from Team Peterhouse

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ReadingMum
On the subject of bikes - having spent her life being made to wear a helmet, is it the norm in Cambridge these days?

Can't vouch for the students as such but I see far more people in general wearing them than not in Cambridge. She certainly wouldn't be out of place.
good to know everyone's opinions on this. I will be setting out my expectations by packing the helmet - tbh I am sure she will wear it as it is what she is used to. That 'just out of bed' look can then be passed off as 'hat hair' :smile:
We have bought a good D lock and lights that charge by USB and reflective arm bands so I will stop worrying (about this bit).
Original post by Doones
Please please please ensure she wears a helmet.

My son wore his the entire 4 years he was there, thank goodness. And it seems most people do.

By the way, the biggest danger really is unwary overseas tourists, looking the wrong way, or (more likely) not looking at all.

So at least that hazard should be reduced for the moment.

I find the second biggest danger is parents dropping off their kids, unused to all the bikes and driving around a new city. I try to avoid cycling on these days! It's mayhem.
Reply 43
Original post by NixieAnn
I find the second biggest danger is parents dropping off their kids, unused to all the bikes and driving around a new city. I try to avoid cycling on these days! It's mayhem.

Yep, and also the weird cycle lanes going against the main traffic - e.g. the Hobson Street one-way for normal traffic but two-way for bikes. Deadly for pedestrians, and therefore cyclists.
Original post by Doones
Yep, and also the weird cycle lanes going against the main traffic - e.g. the Hobson Street one-way for normal traffic but two-way for bikes. Deadly for pedestrians, and therefore cyclists.

When I ask my son which way to cycle from the Maypole back to Hills Road, he always reminds me to assume that car drivers on Hobson Street aren't expecting bikes to be going the other way.
Original post by tiny hobbit
When I ask my son which way to cycle from the Maypole back to Hills Road, he always reminds me to assume that car drivers on Hobson Street aren't expecting bikes to be going the other way.

Bene't St and Fitzwilliam St are two other dodgy ones where cars assume cyclists can't go against the traffic flow. At least Hobson St has an attempt at a cycle lane although that corner on to St Andrews St is nasty.
I haven't had to look on Google Maps to find where any of these streets are, promise...
Reply 47
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
I haven't had to look on Google Maps to find where any of these streets are, promise...

Lol! @Christ's Admissions will be disappointed about Hobson St!
Original post by Doones
Lol! @Christ's Admissions will be disappointed about Hobson St!

I forget that Christ's essentially faces onto Hobson Street and therefore for some people it's not just another back alley. :lol:
Reply 49
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I forget that Christ's essentially faces onto Hobson Street and therefore for some people it's not just another back alley. :lol:

Yep, the main college car park is accessed from it.

See? Pedestrians! Even 8 year veterans wander around, deep in thought, no idea where they are in the world! :rolleyes:

The other thing to note is that nearly all JCRs will run a scheme where you can buy bike lights and a helmet and then get some discount (about £10) off the price, paid back by the JCR. There is usually some scheme to encourage helmet and light take up in the first term, especially as the nights draw in quickly.
Original post by threeportdrift
See? Pedestrians! Even 8 year veterans wander around, deep in thought, no idea where they are in the world! :rolleyes:

The other thing to note is that nearly all JCRs will run a scheme where you can buy bike lights and a helmet and then get some discount (about £10) off the price, paid back by the JCR. There is usually some scheme to encourage helmet and light take up in the first term, especially as the nights draw in quickly.

yes - I have seen that Clare give £10 towards purchase of a helmet and £5 for lights if you present a receipt. Every little helps.
I did ask on another thread but checking here.... i presume O2 is the preferred network for mobiles? We are all on Three and its shocking in Cambridge. Say a 120GB deal for £20. Thanks
Original post by ProudPops
I did ask on another thread but checking here.... i presume O2 is the preferred network for mobiles? We are all on Three and its shocking in Cambridge. Say a 120GB deal for £20. Thanks

O2 certainly works fine. Can't vouch for the rest. Wifi can be accessed in all university buildings too.

O2 is what the university use, so I presume must have good coverage. I'm on EE and have had no problems, unless I'm inside a concrete block. If your daughter struggles with signal for phone calls, I would highly recommend wifi calling (as long as you don';t ask me to explain how it works!).
O2 is what the university use, so I presume must have good coverage. I'm on EE and have had no problems, unless I'm inside a concrete block. If your daughter struggles with signal for phone calls, I would highly recommend wifi calling (as long as you don';t ask me to explain how it works!).

Thanks. I think the days of actually making a phone call on her phone are long gone ... it’s all about the Snap :smile:

Thanks for that though. I’ll check EE as well.
Thanks. I think the days of actually making a phone call on her phone are long gone ... it’s all about the Snap :smile:

Thanks for that though. I’ll check EE as well.

You never know when she might want to call you. She might feel a little homesick and want a chat. Or she may need some urgent advice on laundry, cooking, where something is... or maybe that was just me!
I'm on BT (who use the same network as EE) and haven't ever had problems in Cambridge fwiw.
Reply 58
Please explain how wifi calling works!
Reply 59

Please explain how wifi calling works!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending