The Student Room Group

'You're going to Cambridge - now what?': Advice from Team Peterhouse

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by MayJuly
Please explain how wifi calling works!

Basically using the wifi connection instead of phone mast connection to make calls, via WhatsApp or Google Duo, or Apple Facetime or similar. With or without the video option.

edit: this is wrong... see @ProudPops post below!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MayJuly
Please explain how wifi calling works!

Wifi Calling is clever technology that allows you to use your call minutes to make or receive a call when you have no actual phone network signal. Minutes used come from your allowance, but it allows you to use the phone as a phone when there is no signal BUT there is wifi. You have to select this as a setting in the phones menu.
Thank you @Doones and @ProudPops for the explanation! I had it explained to me by an IT manager a couple of years ago and have used it when my signal has been weak. I've not had any problems with signal outside, but I've lived in a couple of buildings in Cambridge with thick concrete walls and wifi calling has been very useful!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Thank you @Doones and @ProudPops for the explanation! I had it explained to me by an IT manager a couple of years ago and have used it when my signal has been weak. I've not had any problems with signal outside, but I've lived in a couple of buildings in Cambridge with thick concrete walls and wifi calling has been very useful!

A pleasure. If you go overseas you have to be careful as people think its free calling like WhatsApp but it will come out of your plan, so if you do not have free roaming calls you will be charged.

But yes, its very clever tech for the UK!
Reply 64
Original post by ProudPops
Wifi Calling is clever technology that allows you to use your call minutes to make or receive a call when you have no actual phone network signal. Minutes used come from your allowance, but it allows you to use the phone as a phone when there is no signal BUT there is wifi. You have to select this as a setting in the phones menu.

Ah! That's even better. Is that an iPhone thing... doesn't seem to be an option on my Android phone dialer.

edit: seems to be a network provider specific thing. my provider, Giffgaff, doesn't :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 65
Thanks to all of you for the explanation.
Reply 66
@Peterhouse Admissions
Received the registration email today, but when I try to create a new account it says "unable to verify data you have entered against data in database". Anyone else got this issue?? I've heard engineering students were able to register first (I'm doing chemical engineering via NatSci)
Original post by Adaal
@Peterhouse Admissions
Received the registration email today, but when I try to create a new account it says "unable to verify data you have entered against data in database". Anyone else got this issue?? I've heard engineering students were able to register first (I'm doing chemical engineering via NatSci)

Yes, lots of people, if not everyone! The Student Registry are working on it!
Reply 68
Yes, lots of people, if not everyone! The Student Registry are working on it!

Thanks for clarifying 😊
Hello all,

I am a student due to start this year. With the possibility of a major second wave of COVID-19 getting more and more plausible every day, in the last week I have found myself seriously considering a gap year so that I can start university when life is (hopefully) back to normal.

Now usually, there would be no chance of deferring at this time of year. However, I understand that the situation this year may be a little different due to the enlarged intake that most colleges are experiencing and that, in some cases, volunteers for deferral are being actively thought.

Has anyone had any experience with dealing with deferral requests in the last few days? Is it worth even calling my college to ask them if it's possible?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by thefullers
Hello all,

I am a student due to start at Robinson in October to read geography. With the possibility of a major second wave of COVID-19 getting more and more plausible every day, in the last week I have found myself seriously considering a gap year so that I can start university when life is (hopefully) back to normal.

Now usually, there would be no chance of deferring at this time of year. However, I understand that the situation this year may be a little different due to the enlarged intake that most colleges are experiencing and that, in some cases, volunteers for deferral are being actively thought.

Has anyone had any experience with dealing with deferral requests in the last few days? Is it worth even calling my college to ask them if it's possible?

Look at the University Covid website, it covers when you can and can't defer (and you can't based on the info you've given alone)
Original post by thefullers
Hello all,

I am a student due to start at Robinson in October to read geography. With the possibility of a major second wave of COVID-19 getting more and more plausible every day, in the last week I have found myself seriously considering a gap year so that I can start university when life is (hopefully) back to normal.

You need to discuss this with your college, and it will require the approval of the admissions tutor and director of studies. You will want to go in with a plan - what exactly are you going to do on this gap year? How are you planning to maintain academic engagement through the year?
Hi, sorry if this is a strange question to ask -

I'm currently learning driving and (I believe) we're over halfway through the progress. However it looks like that we can't finish it before October so is it possible to find another instructor at cam and do the test there (or is this the most sensible thing to do?)
P.S. Since I did my theory a lot earlier it's going to expire if I don't do the test soon... (Certainly should be more organized :frown:)

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by k271828ls
Hi, sorry if this is a strange question to ask -

I'm currently learning driving and (I believe) we're over halfway through the progress. However it looks like that we can't finish it before October so is it possible to find another instructor at cam and do the test there (or is this the most sensible thing to do?)
P.S. Since I did my theory a lot earlier it's going to expire if I don't do the test soon... (Certainly should be more organized :frown:)

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Cambridge certainly has driving instructors, yes. However, students can't usually keep cars in Cambridge, so you wouldn't be able to keep practiced, and it's a pretty diabolical place to drive (see previous posts about cyclists and pedestrians and add to that one-way systems). Depends whether home is busier or quieter than Cam, could you cram everything into the Christmas break at home?
Original post by threeportdrift
Cambridge certainly has driving instructors, yes. However, students can't usually keep cars in Cambridge, so you wouldn't be able to keep practiced, and it's a pretty diabolical place to drive (see previous posts about cyclists and pedestrians and add to that one-way systems). Depends whether home is busier or quieter than Cam, could you cram everything into the Christmas break at home?

Thanks for the advice! Yeah from the previous posts it does sound like a nightmare to drive in cam... Doing it over Christmas is actually a good idea!
As a driver with 35 years clean record, I am not looking forward to the start and end of term trips to move daughter!
I would book a load of lessons for the Christmas period (like an intensive course but not quite so intense) and do it at home where you are familiar with the area.
Original post by k271828ls
Thanks for the advice! Yeah from the previous posts it does sound like a nightmare to drive in cam... Doing it over Christmas is actually a good idea!

As somebody who was in this position, I'd definitely recommend carrying on learning at home over Christmas! You'll be more familiar with your instructor, with the roads and won't have the pressure of term, either. I'd recommend you look at booking a test before the end of term for over the holidays if you think you'll be ready by then.
@Peterhouse Admissions, Thank you so much for helping us with this.

You wrote "Freshers' Week will begin on 28th September." but my accommodation starts on 3rd October. Should I ask my college if I can come on 28th September?
Original post by randomlyspecific
@Peterhouse Admissions, Thank you so much for helping us with this.

You wrote "Freshers' Week will begin on 28th September." but my accommodation starts on 3rd October. Should I ask my college if I can come on 28th September?

No, don't worry. Peterhouse's Freshers Week starts then, and when I wrote this post, i assumed that was universal. I am now aware that it is not, so I will amend my original post.
No, don't worry. Peterhouse's Freshers Week starts then, and when I wrote this post, i assumed that was universal. I am now aware that it is not, so I will amend my original post.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending