The Student Room Group

Applications Psychology 2009!!!

UCAS time is here, personal statements are being written and the application process will soon be well under way.

Who is applying over the coming months then,
I've been thinking of doing psychology since the beggining of the year ever since i used to talk to my psychology teacher about it. I didn't decide there and then, i kept quiet about it because i still wasnt sure.
Until i started reading up more and more about psychology and psychology courses and got more and more interested.

I would love to do joint honours at Keele university in Psychology and Neuroscience.

Who else is applying?, and where you thinking of applying?.

Cmon, show your faces :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me!!
Really excited to do it, my first choice is going to be 4 year Psychology course at Bath university, doing a year placement in clinical setting and studying modules in neuroscience as well :biggrin:
Where else are you applying?
Me too :smile:
I'm going for oxford, bath, bristol, york and nottingham. My application gets sent off at the end of next week - I'm scared! lol
Reply 3
Sounds good both of you :smile: Good luck.

I have a long list of other unis to consider, i am well behind in the whole application process, i was going to retake my AS's you see because ive not been too well, but my results were ok i suppose, so im not retaking now.

Also, im also scared of how female dominated the course is (although it doesnt really bother me), i could end up leaving uni a really feminine guy, or gay...
...or with a great sex life
Reply 5
[QUOTE='em[ily]']...or with a great sex life

Haha yeah you may also be pounced on. Enjoy
Eh up!

Bath, St Andrews, York and Bangor are my current ones, then looking at Surrey, Cardiff and Kent to fill in the last spot.

Yet to start my personal statement apart from gathering resources Ive read/seen/heard etc. My teachers mentioned we'd do a day on them but they haven't brought it up since doing our UCAS stuff before last summer :s-smilie: .
Reply 7
My application is pretty similar actually. Aside from Bath, I am applying to Cardiff, York, Surrey and possibly Edinburgh as a back-up (they want 3 B's unlike AAA/AAB for the others) I dont know which would be my insurance yet though.
Oooh, I love Edinburgh, but my brother's there, hence I can't go lol. Typical 'younger brother' mentality :smile: . I'm looking at Surrey tomorrow then Cardiff a week today.

York and Surrey may offer ABB, I'm hoping I get one of them for an insurance! If not I'll fall back on Bangor.
Reply 9
I'm applying for psychology at Leeds, Durham and Bolton, with a few backups.
My tutor says I should put a bit more in my PS about the subject and why I like it etc, but I'm at a loss as to what to add! Anyone have any ideas?
Reply 10
Atrixa
I'm applying for psychology at Leeds, Durham and Bolton, with a few backups.
My tutor says I should put a bit more in my PS about the subject and why I like it etc, but I'm at a loss as to what to add! Anyone have any ideas?

Write about any books you have read psychology based, that you have enjoyed.
also how the subject plays apart in your life, with everyday life also, things such as bullying/mentoring at school etc, did you do anything like that at school? like anti bullying schemes or help children on mentoring schemes etc.

I haven't even started my PS statemnet yet, so im prob not the best person to answer. :frown: gosh, im so far behind in UCAS stuff, not intentionally of course.
Reply 11
Bangers+Mash
Write about any books you have read psychology based, that you have enjoyed.
also how the subject plays apart in your life, with everyday life also, things such as bullying/mentoring at school etc, did you do anything like that at school? like anti bullying schemes or help children on mentoring schemes etc.

I haven't even started my PS statemnet yet, so im prob not the best person to answer. :frown: gosh, im so far behind in UCAS stuff, not intentionally of course.

Oooh, thanks for those tips. I'll ask my psychology lecturer which ones to name drop. I don't actually think i've read any apart from textbooks.

I'm actually filling in my GCSE grades into UCAS as we speak lol. I like to get a jump on things.
:s-smilie: I wouldn't actually name drop books that you haven't read. It wouldn't be very valuable in your PS anyway if you don't go into a little detail about the book.

Plus they may quiz you on it if they asked for an interview.
Reply 13
GodspeedGehenna
:s-smilie: I wouldn't actually name drop books that you haven't read. It wouldn't be very valuable in your PS anyway if you don't go into a little detail about the book.

Plus they may quiz you on it if they asked for an interview.

Hehe- I do plan on reading at least one. I doubt I'll be interviewed, anyway.
Reply 14
Atrixa
Hehe- I do plan on reading at least one. I doubt I'll be interviewed, anyway.

Yea, it will be unlikely you will be interviewed, unless its Oxford.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Mistook-His-Wife/dp/0684853949
^^:eek: Read. I loved this book :fluffy:
UCL also interview I believe, but I didn't get interviewed for any of my choices
Reply 16
Bangers+Mash
Yea, it will be unlikely you will be interviewed, unless its Oxford.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Mistook-His-Wife/dp/0684853949
^^:eek: Read. I loved this book :fluffy:

That book is fantastic!!
All the little case-studies are really interesting, it made me start thinking about becoming a neuropsychologist after my post-grad, even though Sacks is a neurologist but I think you need chemistry for that. I despise chemistry!
I'm applying for BSc psychology at Royal Holloway, Warwick, Kent, Essex and Reading :smile:
Reply 18
I've had a dig through my college library, and I found a book on Freud and the Post- Freudians that looks ok. Was't much choice. Even though I think the guy was a complete tit, I can still criticise (or something) in the PS...
Reply 19
Atrixa
I've had a dig through my college library, and I found a book on Freud and the Post- Freudians that looks ok. Was't much choice. Even though I think the guy was a complete tit, I can still criticise (or something) in the PS...

Don't turn it into a freud bashing essay, im sure you wouldn't do that, just say you recently read a book...you wanted to read about psychoanalysis and psychotherapy, (which was all freuds work, well the start of it anyway). Just to show you have a general interest in the different branches of psychology, becuase to be honest, its a massive subject isnt it.

Remember, Freud= How NOT to do psychology. Where did i read that now :rolleyes:

Latest