The Student Room Group

applyind gor jobs during gap year

so, ive been trying to apply for jobs within the nhs (through their website) and all the jobs are permanent but i only want to work for maximum of 7 months. i have rung up a few places and the said that they preferred someone for more that a year (long term) but that i should apply to them and hope for the best. can someone who has been through the system suggest how i go on about my application.:confused:
Don't tell them it's for seven months... or apply to one that want you for a year or more, tell them you've got a year, then leave after seven months. Don't forget to find how much notice you have to give before you leave though.
Good luck, I'm trying to find one myself, it's bloody hard!
Reply 2
me 3!
Reply 3
I’m currently going through the system; I’ve been accepted as HCA however I now have to wait for a CRB check before I can start. However you should have really applied earlier as I applied through the website on the closing date which was the 3rd of July and by the time the interview had taken place and the documents arriving it's now September and I’ve now got to wait up to 6 weeks for the CRB to come back before I can even start.

Probably the best thing would be to apply to as many posts as possible as you haven’t really got the time to apply for one at a time and also look at the dates that they stop taking applicants and when they plan to start interviewing. Regarding the fact you only want to work for 7 months either just don't tell them as said above or see if you can find a temporary position.

You could also apply to the HCA Bank assuming that's the kind of job your after. Also try agencies in your area and the jobs section of your local papers as they're always care homes looking for people as they might be quicker than hospitals. Finally try asking your family and friends whether they know of anyone working in hospitals etc who know of any jobs going or at least be able to put a good word in for you.

In the end you can only really hope and good luck
Reply 4
thanls shakey- krfc. do u know if its possible to apply for a fixed term temporary job of 18 months then leave after like midway through it. also, how do you go about writing a support information is it similar to a personal statement or just telling them that you meet their personal specificationg. please HELPPP.
Reply 5
i suppose if your happy to leave halfway through that's up to you as circumstances can chance. Also the supporting information is kind of like your personal statement as i haven't worked before as a HCA i just stated that i was enthusiastic, wasn't put off by anything and just wrote about my work experinece in a day care unit with nurses and HCA and how i worked well in a team i.e. my rugby team made it to the last 128 in the whole country and how this applied to the working enviroment.

as long as you apply to many jobs as possible i'm sure your be fine, in the interview they just asked simple questions about what i would in certain situations and seeing as u haven't done this before (i'm guessing) i' sure they will be a bit more lenient!
Reply 6
What sort of NHS work? That's quite ambitious, and it's a bit unfair on them to suddenly leave. Most employers will see it coming a mile off, though, and not give you the job. If you're working for under nine months and applying for a serious, permanent position, morally you should probably let them know. If you do take a job like this, make sure you give them loads of notice.
Most people work on gap year schemes or in jobs that typically have high staff turnover, even if they are technically permanent positions, such as call centres or in retail. In jobs like this, employers will be more accepting of someone suddenly leaving, and more likely to take you on in the first place.
Reply 7
worldwide
What sort of NHS work? That's quite ambitious, and it's a bit unfair on them to suddenly leave.

HCAs - not really ambitous, mainly just helping pateints with everyday life (really minor work which dont require formal qualifications some dont ask for A levels but do want loads of experience)

If you're working for under nine months and applying for a serious, permanent position, morally you should probably let them know. If you do take a job like this, make sure you give them loads of notice.

if i do get the job i intend to let them know but not initially plus i dont think its legally allowed to leave a job without serving the notice

Most people work on gap year schemes or in jobs that typically have high staff turnover, even if they are technically permanent positions, such as call centres or in retail.

well not really true for people that want to do medicine. they all work mainly as HCA as it is linked to medicine and more beneficail than working in call centres or retail (eventhough theres some benefits there)
Reply 8
HCAs - not really ambitous, mainly just helping pateints with everyday life (really minor work which dont require formal qualifications some dont ask for A levels but do want loads of experience)

if i do get the job i intend to let them know but not initially plus i dont think its legally allowed to leave a job without serving the notice

well not really true for people that want to do medicine. they all work mainly as HCA as it is linked to medicine and more beneficail than working in call centres or retail (eventhough theres some benefits there)

I don't know a lot about HCA work - my advice was general advice about gap year work, since you didn't mention that you were a medical applicant.
Reply 9
Hey,
I'm in a really similar situation as I am taking a gap year before applying to Medicine for 2009 entry and I have just got a job as a Clinical Support worker (basically HCA) in a Medical Assessment Unit in my local hospital (permenant). I applied through the NHS website where I treated the description box like a personal statement really.
I said that I had finished studies and was taking a gap from studying and wanted to observe and work in a team with lots of different health care professionals (doctors, nurses, physios etc.) to figure out if I wanted Med or something else would do. So it was pretty clear I was only gonna be around for a year MAX, a girl who works with me did exactly the same and got accepted also. The interview was really easy and almost everyone that was there got a position.
I would advise to say you're taking a break from studying but I wouldn't say gap year. You'd be better off applying for the fixed term temp that fit your plans or permenant rather than the 18 month. Btw from applying to being on the 2 week training course as I am now took a couple of months so keep that in mind and apply to as many positions as you can to maximise your chances.
Anyways that was long but good luck and if you need any more info just quote me! :biggrin:
Reply 10
crackerbox
Hey,
I'm in a really similar situation as I am taking a gap year before applying to Medicine for 2009 entry and I have just got a job as a Clinical Support worker (basically HCA) in a Medical Assessment Unit in my local hospital (permenant). I applied through the NHS website where I treated the description box like a personal statement really.
I said that I had finished studies and was taking a gap from studying and wanted to observe and work in a team with lots of different health care professionals (doctors, nurses, physios etc.) to figure out if I wanted Med or something else would do. So it was pretty clear I was only gonna be around for a year MAX, a girl who works with me did exactly the same and got accepted also. The interview was really easy and almost everyone that was there got a position.
I would advise to say you're taking a break from studying but I wouldn't say gap year. You'd be better off applying for the fixed term temp that fit your plans or permenant rather than the 18 month. Btw from applying to being on the 2 week training course as I am now took a couple of months so keep that in mind and apply to as many positions as you can to maximise your chances.
Anyways that was long but good luck and if you need any more info just quote me! :biggrin:

Thanks once more for the help. So far Ive applied to three posts and one have replied to me telling me to come for an assessment. Do you know what this is about and what I should expect.
Reply 11
Hmmm I don't know about the term assessment, perhaps it's a more complex interview, more than likely though i will just be an interview. What was the post? If it'd band 2 then expect the typical band 2 q's - they even had a print out of bog standard ones at my interview (*Why do you want to be a .... *Can you tell me a little about what a .... does *How much do you know about the ward? *Can you name a time when you had to deal with an awkward situation and how you dealt with it *Confidentiality question *Where do you see yourself in 5 years *Why are you taking a gap year)

Assessment terminology definition anyone?
What other things cant you do apart from HCA??
I really wouldnt want to be one but i want a medically based job which is proving near impossible to find. Theres loads of jobs in a local hospital but i cant face going there thats where im meant to be a medical student this year. Im stuck!
Reply 13
*update*
Not liking the whole being a clinical support worker thing. I wouldn't reccommend it, although I've heard a lot of good things from people on TSR I see it as one of those -if you can stick at it good on you but it's not a fun job- things. I am thinking of leaving to get a normal Christmas temp. shop job. :frown:

As far as jobs apart from HCA, phlebotomy?

Latest