The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
please contact me aswell i am very interested in the same thing :smile:
i speak fluent french and english help out please :biggrin:
Reply 2
Haven't done it but would love to after uni :smile: Try a company called Flying Fish which do instructor courses, look at the main tour operators and stuff too and theres a Ski North America company but I can't remember the name. Language skills a plus, most takes place in the larger resorts and you do skiing and ski instructors courses and I think there is maid work and things usually.
Reply 3
We can't surely be the only people on TSR contemplating / have carried this out, SURELY!
Reply 4
Ez, I'm taking a gap year skiing, looking to go via BUNAC on their GAP CANADA program, basically fly out around oct/nov and find a job a cheap accomodation.
Reply 5
I'm probably going to go to canada with flying fish and do their instuctor course in november/december then hopefully get a job teaching in ski school :biggrin:
Reply 6
The only problem with America is the no drinking laws - which would somewhat reduce the enjoyment I feel. Don't know if this applies in Canada?
Reply 7
It wouldn't be a problem for me. The drinking age in Canada in all provinces is 19 apart from Quebec which is 18. I turn 19 four days before my course starts so i'll be fine :biggrin:
Reply 8
If not the drinking age then the language would be a barrier, it's not normal french is it?
Reply 9
They only speak French in Quebec. The rest of the country speaks english. I will hopefully be in Whistler BC which is probably the best ski resort in Canada and is a wonderful town too with a great nightlife. I can't wait :smile:

Where are you thinking of going?
Reply 10
Woggle
I will hopefully be in Whistler BC which is probably the best ski resort in Canada and is a wonderful town too with a great nightlife. I can't wait :smile:

Ooh I agree, it's great there :smile:

Anyway, I was thinking of maybe doing something like this too actually - either France or Germany, depending on which language I choose to carry on with next year (A2 Level). Although thinking about it BC sounds tempting as well! :biggrin:
Woggle
They only speak French in Quebec. The rest of the country speaks english.

OK this comes up quite often. Coming from a Canadaphile:
Not all of Canada outside Quebec speaks English and not all of Quebec speaks French.
A couple of decades ago, 25% of Quebeckers only spoke English (no French). Today, 10% of Quebeckers only speak English. In addition to that you have many people who are fully fluent in both languages in Montreal.
In Canada outside Quebec, many areas in Ontario, and the Maritimes are French-speaking. New Brunswick has English and French as official languages.
Reply 12
SamTheMan
Not all of Canada outside Quebec speaks English and not all of Quebec speaks French.
A couple of decades ago, 25% of Quebeckers only spoke English (no French). Today, 10% of Quebeckers only speak English. In addition to that you have many people who are fully fluent in both languages in Montreal.
In Canada outside Quebec, many areas in Ontario, and the Maritimes are French-speaking. New Brunswick has English and French as official languages.

But in Quebec they get a bit funny if you don't speak French...or so I've heard, don't they?
Reply 13
SamTheMan

Sorry, i was misinformed. But i will remember that for when i am out there in november or i might annoy a few lovely canadians :smile:
Thanks for the info.
Reply 14
Woogle, where do you plan on getting a job from? Canada suddenly seems a very interesting prospect. I presume you are getting a job, rather than just self funding a seasons skiing :smile:
Reply 15
JasonPaver
Woogle, where do you plan on getting a job from? Canada suddenly seems a very interesting prospect. I presume you are getting a job, rather than just self funding a seasons skiing :smile:

Call me Nic. Being referred to by my screen name is a little unsettling.

I plan to hopefully get a job once i pass my instructors course, which hopefully i should as the course i am doing does the CSIA I and II and has a pretty good pass rate. If not i am hoping that the mountain will still need lift operators, or i could get a job in a ski shop or something similar. Apparently there are enough jobs around. Although if you want to do that sort of thing then i've been told (from speaking to people in Whistler who have done it themselves) that the best time to go out there is in November as that is when the majority of jobs are around and the best accomodation is found then as well.
i think a good idea (that i learnt on a ski trip) was to become a technician....that way, you get quite a bit of money, and you get to ski about 5 hours a day.....just something i picked up from the technician at our hotel...

x
Reply 17
Only problem with being a technician is the need to speak fluent French, which I don't.
Thanks for the info Nic, I may look in to findinga chalet to work in on the web now I know it has such advantages :smile:
I'm planning on going to work in any crappy job (really - I'll clean toilets for a living if needs be) in France so that I can snowboard all day long. If anyone finds anyone good to work for, or has anything useful, do tell.
yeh, but you could try going to an english hotel.....the guys there hardly knew any french at all.....in fact, im pretty sure i knew more than them!...............they just knew key phrases in french!

x

Latest