The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Dr. Blazed
I'm planning on going to work in any crappy job (really - I'll clean toilets for a living if needs be) in France so that I can snowboard all day long. If anyone finds anyone good to work for, or has anything useful, do tell.

Snowboarders ... what useless people :p:
Woggle
Snowboarders ... what useless people :p:

You just wish you were as cool as me. :p:
Reply 22
Dr. Blazed
You just wish you were as cool as me. :p:

No I definitely don't. I tried it last week and there is nothing 'cool' about that sport. Give me a pair of skis any day.
Woggle
No I definitely don't. I tried it last week and there is nothing 'cool' about that sport. Give me a pair of skis any day.

It's the best. For a start, you don't have to carry horrid poles around all day long.
Reply 24
Dr. Blazed
It's the best. For a start, you don't have to carry horrid poles around all day long.

No, instead you just end up with bruises everywhere, sitting on your arse half the time and crashing into everyone and everything, even the snow. Plus you have to have both feet attached to one board!!! I'll take the poles any day.

I gave boarding 4 days and then gave up. What can i say, I'm a skier at heart :biggrin:
Woggle
No, instead you just end up with bruises everywhere, sitting on your arse half the time and crashing into everyone and everything.

That's all the fun, though. :biggrin:
Reply 26
Snowboarding is for people without the grace, class, or balance needed for skiing :p:
Sophdoph
Snowboarding is for people without the grace, class, or balance needed for skiing :p:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1696387&postcount=22
Reply 28
my friend is workign at a ski resort in france at the moment. she's chamber maiding so it's hard work but she certainyl seems to be enjoying herself, as she's skiing in all her free time, and gettign her instructor qualifications. she's doing it with Mark Warner i think. she went out in early december and is back mid-april.
Reply 29
Mark Warner is one of the ones I've been looking at. I'm just waiting for the end of this season before I mass email :smile:
Can do actually have to know how to ski before you do these instructor courses or do they teach you?
Skiing is so damn exciting and ace!
Reply 32
john williams
Can do actually have to know how to ski before you do these instructor courses or do they teach you?

Some of them like 'Ski le Gap' and 'Base Camp Group' will teach you from scratch. Others like you to be comfortable on certain runs, usually red. The only reason i'm not going with one of the above companies is because i wont be qualified until march as they dont start until January and by that time it will be too late to get an instructors job :frown: I really want to instruct, it sounds like so much fun so i'll settle for going with one of the less well known courses, but still, hopefully im going to get a job doing something i love :biggrin:
Woggle
Some of them like 'Ski le Gap' and 'Base Camp Group' will teach you from scratch. Others like you to be comfortable on certain runs, usually red. The only reason i'm not going with one of the above companies is because i wont be qualified until march as they dont start until January and by that time it will be too late to get an instructors job :frown: I really want to instruct, it sounds like so much fun so i'll settle for going with one of the less well known courses, but still, hopefully im going to get a job doing something i love :biggrin:

So where do they do the training, in the uk? So im confused, your not going to be qualified until March, so will you go to teach in the summer period?
Reply 34
john williams
So where do they do the training, in the uk? So im confused, your not going to be qualified until March, so will you go to teach in the summer period?

I'm going with flying fish to Whistler hopefully, Im just waiting for replies from universities before i book. Their course starts at the end of November and finishes at the beginning of January so i'll get about 2-3 months teaching in as they help to find work once you're qualified (this is assuming i pass). If not i'll just stay out there and work the rest of it. Assuming i do get qualified i might do a summer season in New Zealand or Australia but im not committing to anything just yet.
Reply 35
skiing beats snowboarding anyday.

watching a snowboarder do mogels is one of the funniest things you can see on the slopes. then you have the carving on steep ice runs - if you slip, you DIE. and then there's the flats - great, it you like walking witha plank on one foot. and I won't even mention the powder.

nah, I think skiing is better :biggrin:
Reply 36
This is not a skiing vs. snowboarding thread. Its for genuinely useful information if you don't mind. :smile:
Reply 37
sorry mate. got carried away!
Reply 38
I worked at a Ski resort as a lift attendant. It was pretty easy and fun. I got to ride the snowmobile around lots :smile:
Reply 39
canuck
I worked at a Ski resort as a lift attendant. It was pretty easy and fun. I got to ride the snowmobile around lots :smile:

Which resort did you work at?

Latest