The Student Room Group

Why do I feel bad when I give a homeless person food?

I know I should feel good that I’ve done something good but I just feel terrible every single time I do it. Anyone have any ideas? :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I know I should feel good that I’ve done something good but I just feel terrible every single time I do it. Anyone have any ideas? :frown:

I know that when I give food to a homeless person, I always feel a bit weird as if I am saying to them "here I'm giving you something basic that I can afford and you can't" even though that's obviously not what they're thinking at all. You may also feel guilty because of the way society has worked meaning some people don't have the same basic things you do. I wouldn't try to look into it too much, but just try to focus on the fact that you've potentially stopped someone going hungry that day.
regardless of you reason why, could your positive empathy of them receiving the food and them getting food (positive emotions on their part) supersede your own negative emotions?

maybe you feel bad that ...(suggestions only Im not saying these are rational/ethical)
- society as whole has homeless people
- you are empathising with their poverty state
- you feel like you never want to be homeless
- you feel like they might be trapped in poverty forever and cant break out of cycle of poverty
- you feel embarrassed in front of other ppl giving them food
- you feel embarrassed for them that they have to accept free food
- you regret giving them food (financial reasons)
- you feel like they deserve better than just random food
- you were once homeless yourself/in financial difficulty and can relate to them
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending