The Student Room Group

How to deal with university offer anxiety?

Hi all, this is my first post here on TSR so forgive me if I'm asking for support in the wrong forum.

I recently sent off my UCAS Application. I applied to study Economics at top institutions within the UK, including Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bath.

I am an international applicant, however still have UK Qualifications: for my iGCSEs, I got 8A* and 2A and for my A Levels, I am predicted A*A*A*A (A for Further Maths) and an A* for my EPQ.

Recently, I've started feeling very anxious about whether I will receive offers or not. I know that Cambridge is quite hard to get into, and quite dependent on my ECAA + Interview performance, so I feel somewhat "in control" about it as I still have time to prepare for both those assessments (that is, if I do manage to land an interview). But for the other 4, I feel helpless. For a number of reasons:
1) Since lurking around on TSR, I have noticed that there are so many other people applying for my course at the same universities that I've applied to - especially LSE, UCL & Warwick. I do understand that competition is intense, but seeing as everyone applying has a predicted A* for Further Mathematics, whilst I only have an A.. I feel as if I'm not competitive enough to even receive an offer.
2) I have recently started reading exemplar Personal Statements for Economics that managed to land their writers into the universities that I applied to. I don't know why I've done so, as it's quite self-destructive, really, but it seems to be something that I can't stop myself from doing. And I feel as if mine was way too academic. I critically analyzed a few fields within Economics that I was interested in, however unlike the others, did not explicitly state what I want to do with my Economics degree/ why I'm passionate about it etc. I also have no work experience as where I come from, it's really hard to obtain. I did include further reading, essay competitions, maths competitions, volunteer work etc. as well as CCAs (from which I linked the skills I'd obtained to my course), but I just feel inferior to everyone else.

I'm not looking for any reassurance or pity - I'm sorry if I come across as such. I guess I just want someone to advice me on ways to overcome this anxiety. I realise that worrying won't change anything, but I feel overwhelmingly anxious.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

E xx
Original post by elias.03
Hi all, this is my first post here on TSR so forgive me if I'm asking for support in the wrong forum.

I recently sent off my UCAS Application. I applied to study Economics at top institutions within the UK, including Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bath.

I am an international applicant, however still have UK Qualifications: for my iGCSEs, I got 8A* and 2A and for my A Levels, I am predicted A*A*A*A (A for Further Maths) and an A* for my EPQ.

Recently, I've started feeling very anxious about whether I will receive offers or not. I know that Cambridge is quite hard to get into, and quite dependent on my ECAA + Interview performance, so I feel somewhat "in control" about it as I still have time to prepare for both those assessments (that is, if I do manage to land an interview). But for the other 4, I feel helpless. For a number of reasons:
1) Since lurking around on TSR, I have noticed that there are so many other people applying for my course at the same universities that I've applied to - especially LSE, UCL & Warwick. I do understand that competition is intense, but seeing as everyone applying has a predicted A* for Further Mathematics, whilst I only have an A.. I feel as if I'm not competitive enough to even receive an offer.
2) I have recently started reading exemplar Personal Statements for Economics that managed to land their writers into the universities that I applied to. I don't know why I've done so, as it's quite self-destructive, really, but it seems to be something that I can't stop myself from doing. And I feel as if mine was way too academic. I critically analyzed a few fields within Economics that I was interested in, however unlike the others, did not explicitly state what I want to do with my Economics degree/ why I'm passionate about it etc. I also have no work experience as where I come from, it's really hard to obtain. I did include further reading, essay competitions, maths competitions, volunteer work etc. as well as CCAs (from which I linked the skills I'd obtained to my course), but I just feel inferior to everyone else.

I'm not looking for any reassurance or pity - I'm sorry if I come across as such. I guess I just want someone to advice me on ways to overcome this anxiety. I realise that worrying won't change anything, but I feel overwhelmingly anxious.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

E xx

Hiya,

I think the way you're feeling is totally normal. There's so much uncertainty and you never really know how it will turn out. I recommend just trying to keep yourself busy. Do you have any hobbies? Or any hobbies that you've wanted to try for a while but haven't yet? If you keep your mind distracted, then you won't be comparing yourself to others or worrying about your personal statement. It's easier said than done, but just try to have faith in yourself that your application was good and you do have a very good chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending