The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How long does Durham typically take to give offers

All I know is that my sister was rejected by Cambridge before she got her offer from Durham so......
Original post by GillisRobbieWGS
All I know is that my sister was rejected by Cambridge before she got her offer from Durham so......

It's not really a case of how long does it take as such, it's more they tend to only offer after the January deadline (with some exceptions, particularly international students and those potentially looking at contextual offers, as well as those they recieve an admissions test result for). So yes, Oxbridge decisions do usually come first! So they'll take less time if you apply later effectively, since they make almost all decisions later on anyway.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Lemur14
It's not really a case of how long does it take as such, it's more they tend to only offer after the January deadline (with some exceptions, particularly international students and those potentially looking at contextual offers, as well as those they recieve an admissions test result for). So yes, Oxbridge decisions do usually come first! So they'll take less time if you apply later effectively, since they make almost all decisions later on anyway.

I've had offers from Cardiff and Sheffield already though and I know that Oxbridge only give offers after they've done interviews in December so Durham shouldn't take too long should they?
I've had offers from Cardiff and Sheffield already though and I know that Oxbridge only give offers after they've done interviews in December so Durham shouldn't take too long should they?

Durham, on the whole, use a gathered field approach, similar to how lots of Scottish universities work (and how Oxbridge works, just they can do it earlier due to early deadline). So yes, Durham may well take until March even though all other unis have got back before then, since they work on a different approach :tongue: For me, even though I got my Durham offer quite early (mid-December), it was still my last by quite some way!
I know this thread is two years old, but when I was waiting for my offer all I could do was look on student room and reddit and see when others got theirs in previous years.
Durham took the longest of all the universities I applied to (5 months and a half) I applied on the 14th October 2022 and heard back on the 30th of March 2023.
So don't panic if you haven't heard!

Yep they do. I was early entry so applied late september. They took 7 months to reply and thet was without having to do any admissions tests or interviews or anything. It's ridiculous. They sent the offer a day before the last offer holder day

Quick Reply

Latest