The Student Room Group

Protein Powder: Questions and Advice Thread

Too little rugby and too much beer was my fault in the first year of uni so I'm wanting weight loss first and foremost for the new football season and rugby season. Like a good few stone.

I'm not going on a diet as such, more just a lifestyle change! Hence so many threads as I sort it all out.

So far i've learnt when I'm at the gym to do weights then cardio, and have got lots of diff barbell and dumbell exercises to do. With this i'll also be aiming to do a good 40 mins of cardio and do this about 4 times a week.

I have no quarms in having protein drinks, and I kinda understand the purpose etc. But should I be drinking them if I want weight loss. I want to be slimmer and toned and more muscles, but just wondering if the two are conflicting afterall the protein can be seen as a (good) weight gainer. (i think)

I work at the gym so prob could get discounted price but if not been linked to this http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/unflavoured-protein/impact-whey-protein-(unflavoured)-(refill)/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, you need quite a bit of protein even if you're cutting.

So long as you don't mix it with 200g oats and a bunch of double cream, go for it.
Reply 2
bodybuilders up their protein shakes when cutting.
Reply 3
When doing weights, you should use protein shakes regardless of if your bulking or cutting...
Reply 4
Lara C.

Do you know why? This is quite interesting...would be greatful if someone expanded on this.
Reply 5
Mos Def
Do you know why? This is quite interesting...would be greatful if someone expanded on this.

presumably because they want to retain as much muscle mass as possible whilst cutting. thats as much as i know. sorry.
Lara C.
presumably because they want to retain as much muscle mass as possible whilst cutting. thats as much as i know. sorry.

It makes sense. I guess that when you're cutting, since you're going to be losing weight, making up a higher percentage of your diet out of protein is going to give you the best chance of hanging on the muscle you've got and losing fat instead.
Reply 7
Lara C.

I disagree to a very large extent. Here's my fella (Bodybuilder, 245lb, 11% body fat) to say why!

----

Ok - we don't increase protein when cutting. We reduce overall calories to around 500 per day under maintenance. We do this by cutting out CARBOHYDRATES. As long as we consume 1.5g per pound of lean body weight in protein during a cut and train hard, muscle loss is minimized and fat loss is maximised.

For a reasonably active individual, maintenance calories can be calculated at total body weight in lbs multiplied by 15. For me this is 3675. In practice I need around 4000 KCal every day to maintain weight. When cutting I eat 3,500 or so. Bulking is another matter - on cycle I'll eat up to 7,000 KCal every day for up to 16 weeks.

So, to answer "should I use protein shakes?".

As you seem to be starting out - here's a few pointers.

1 - Work out your maintenance calories per day using the formula above.

2 - Write down everything you eat, every day, for a week and post it here for me to have a look at. I'm happy to advise further. Don't cheat - I do mean everything - how much, what, when. EVERYTHING! I even want to know what sort of gum you chew.

3 - Post up your full training routine, schedule and ultimate goals, current body weight and composition (Don't be shy).

Now we'll have something to go on. If you are honest with yourself I suspect you will find that you are over eating, especially carbs. Don't believe anyone who says to cut fats. In good ratios to other food types they are absolutely essential for recovery and brain function. You cannot lose weight effectively without eating fats.

You should eat meals six times a day - you'll soon get used to it. Split your calories between them. Absolutely always eat some protein and carbs within an hour, preferably 30 minutes to 45 minutes of training. This will reduce cortisol (a HUGE enemy), vastly improve recovery time and effectively over the next day or so allow your body to burn more calories.

Although cardio work is important, the calorie burning effect stops after around an hour after working out. Lifting weights, especially the big compound movements (multi jointed lifts - Squats, Deads, Bench Press,rows, military press), will allow your body to burn calories for up to 3 days after!

There is so much more to it than swilling down a few protein shakes. It's not needed to drink them down if you are getting the right ratio of protein in your diet every day in relation the the calories you are eating.

HTH.
Reply 8
burningnun

So long as you don't mix it with 200g oats and a bunch of double cream, go for it.

Why not? As long as you hit your protein per lb of body weight per day and stay within your required calories, what's the problem?
mental40
Why not? As long as you hit your protein per lb of body weight per day and stay within your required calories, what's the problem?

Well, if you're trying to lose weight, consuming a load of other calories with your protein shake is going to leave you a lot fewer calories to play with for the rest of your day. And if you're not eating a whole lot, it's probably best not to get a significant amount of your daily allowance from cream :p:
Reply 10
Lara C.

Kind of true. Yes, retaining muscle is paramount.

However, in any cutting/calorie deficit situation, protein intake is only part of the battle.

The protein feeds the muscles but you must train hard (nearly as hard as bulking) to make sure that your body doesn't ditch the muscle.

The body is a damn clever thing. When in a reduced calorie state it gets rid of ANYTHING that you don't need.

Muscle is actually the first to go if you have some size unless you use it. Your body will effectively say "Hang on, muscle is required because I am lifting heavy stuff, lets dump fat instead as I don't actually need that"
Reply 11
Chumbaniya
It makes sense. I guess that when you're cutting, since you're going to be losing weight, making up a higher percentage of your diet out of protein is going to give you the best chance of hanging on the muscle you've got and losing fat instead.

That's IT!!! You are not actually talking about INCREASING protein, rather increasing the percentage of protein in realtion to carbs and fats.
Reply 12
Marc908
When doing weights, you should use protein shakes regardless of if your bulking or cutting...

Oh come on! Why on earth would this be true if you are getting a sufficient amount of protein through your normal diet?
Reply 13
Chumbaniya
Well, if you're trying to lose weight, consuming a load of other calories with your protein shake is going to leave you a lot fewer calories to play with for the rest of your day. And if you're not eating a whole lot, it's probably best not to get a significant amount of your daily allowance from cream :p:

That is true to a degree, but in the context of the question asked it is not. As long as calories and protein levels are maintained I don't care how hungry you feel, it's still going to work.

Man up and eat the right amount of calories and protein.

[edit] although cream certainly isn't the best thing to eat while cutting
mental40
That's IT!!! You are not actually talking about INCREASING protein, rather increasing the percentage of protein in realtion to carbs and fats.

Oh yeah. I was just interpretting things wrong. :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Chumbaniya
Oh yeah. I was just interpretting things wrong. :s-smilie:

No problem - it's all good! FWIW, my example is definately NOT the best way of cutting. I was simply taking things literally in the context of calorie/protein intake.
mental40

Because taking what amounts to a weight gainer shake will make it harder to hit the required numbers, especially if it has a lot of carbs.
Reply 17
ye that kinda threw me as well. making up a larger portion of the calories rather than increasing the actual amount of protein. which is exactly what bodybuilders do during the cutting phase. Ronnie Colemans calls is 'upping his diet'.

btw, who is Bodybuilder, 245lb, 11% body fat? and what height is this person?
Reply 18
11% BF at the moment - Comps will be coming next year when I look as big as possible. I'm 6'2" and hello to everyone! My gf posted yesterday and I too on a couple of replies! I signed up for my own account today. I posted more stats in the "Vinegar for weight loss" thread if anyone is interested.

The protein/cream shake was mentioned specifically to highlight a point I wanted to make about burningnun's post which was that even eating the wrong things can still result in weight loss, and muscle can still be maintained as long as long as protein levels are high enough.

As he/she? correctly pointed out though - this would be a TERRIBLE way to do it and there is no way you'd catch me eating like that. Although I'm not adverse to pumping up the calories on a bulk with some cream!
Reply 19
Hi,
I'm now venturing into the fitness forum as I plan to turn over a new leaf during uni. I'm quite skinny and want to bulk up a little bit but not too much. I have a really high metabolism, so no matter how much (or what) I eat, I never put on any weight. I joined a gym last month, and I've toned a bit and put on some muscle, but I think it's my diet that's hindering me rather than weights. I avoid cardio at the gym (but I play football regularly). Would you recommend I take protein shakes or any other supplement to put some muscle on? I'm changing my diet as well, but it's difficult (especially at uni) to maintain such a diet. Also, are there any side effects to protein shakes?

Quick Reply

Latest