The Student Room Group

Protein Powder: Questions and Advice Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Im looking to take whey protein but am completely lost about which one to get. I have looked at myprotein.co.uk but it has so many different types of protein to choose from. Basically i've started lifting weights around 2 months ago - i weigh 13.7 stones and im 6ft 1.

I am currently trying to reduce the fat in my body as Its way too much and read that doing cardio is bad while building muscle as the body burns the muscle first when training and by having protein it will reduce this effect. So which protein would you reccomend form myprotein.co.uk - btw I prefer flavoured protein.

Thx for ur time
Reply 181
manzi905
Im looking to take whey protein but am completely lost about which one to get. I have looked at myprotein.co.uk but it has so many different types of protein to choose from. Basically i've started lifting weights around 2 months ago - i weigh 13.7 stones and im 6ft 1.

I am currently trying to reduce the fat in my body as Its way too much and read that doing cardio is bad while building muscle as the body burns the muscle first when training and by having protein it will reduce this effect. So which protein would you reccomend form myprotein.co.uk - btw I prefer flavoured protein.

Thx for ur time

Orange chocolate true whey
Or mint chocolate true whey

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/whey-protein/true-whey-(5lb)/

Taste so good. And you can use MP61160 at the checkout for 5% off too :smile:

For cardio stick to hiit (google it) supposed to be better for keeping your muscle and highers your metabolism for upto 48 hours after doing it.
Reply 182
Cortez
Orange chocolate true whey
Or mint chocolate true whey

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/whey-protein/true-whey-(5lb)/

Taste so good. And you can use MP61160 at the checkout for 5% off too :smile:

For cardio stick to hiit (google it) supposed to be better for keeping your muscle and highers your metabolism for upto 48 hours after doing it.

Thanks for the advice but is that protein available on a smaller quantity?
Reply 183
manzi905
Thanks for the advice but is that protein available on a smaller quantity?

Nah they only do 5lb in True Whey.

But this is the old version - http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/whey-protein/whey-protein-(2lb)/

Available in 2lb tubs but I think once their stock has gone it's gone.
your gonna need 5lbs minimum, any smaller and itll get used up pretty fast - plus more is cheaper :smile:
Reply 185
So would using True Whey make it easier to build muscle while cutting fat by doing cardio?
manzi905
So would using True Whey make it easier to build muscle while cutting fat by doing cardio?

Using true whey will help you supplement the lack of protein that you should ideally be getting from real food :smile:
Reply 187
Thx for the advice i've ordered 3 sample of True Whey to see which flavour i will like and a mixer bottle thing to mix the protein. Thx
So that 5lb tub should last a month?
Is it possible to muscular and being a long distance runner at the same time?
Sephirona
Is it possible to muscular and being a long distance runner at the same time?

as long as you have a very high calorie intake, then i would say yes.
Reply 191
ashish_a88
So that 5lb tub should last a month?

Depends how much you take.

90 servings at 25g in the tub.

I usually have 50g after work or after a workout and 25g in my porridge in the morning. That lasts me exactly 30 days.

If you just have it after a workout it will last you much longer assuming you don't workout every day.
Reply 192
Is it ok to have protein before a workout (30 mins before) or should i have it after the workout?
manzi905
Is it ok to have protein before a workout (30 mins before) or should i have it after the workout?

30 mins before and then immediately after.
Reply 194
I've ordered the Whey Blend http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/flavoured-protein/whey-blend-(5lb)-(refill) and been taking it for 2 days now, 2 x 25g.

I'm wondering what the best dosage would be though.

Taking 25g in the morning after breakfast (in milk) AND 25g after workout in the days I do the workout or randomly in the afternoon when I don't (in water).

Or 25g 30 mins before and 25g immediately after?

Or what else do you recommend? I don't want to overload the liver. I also eat meat, nuts, cheese daily
this is how i take it:

25g 30mins before workout with oats and water.
25g immediately after workout with waxy maize starch and water.
25g before going to bed with milk.
minim
I've ordered the Whey Blend http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/flavoured-protein/whey-blend-(5lb)-(refill) and been taking it for 2 days now, 2 x 25g.

I'm wondering what the best dosage would be though.

Taking 25g in the morning after breakfast (in milk) AND 25g after workout in the days I do the workout or randomly in the afternoon when I don't (in water).

Or 25g 30 mins before and 25g immediately after?

Or what else do you recommend? I don't want to overload the liver. I also eat meat, nuts, cheese daily

Whats the rest of your diet look like?

You only really need it post / workout or where your not getting enough protein from your real food. Its a supplement remember :wink:
Hi Guys,

Basically what the title says. I just want to know if my gains will be hit badly if I dont use shakes. Am thinking of going to food as, it may be cheaper. If im wrong please let me know!

Thanks!
Reply 198
Bennyboy65
Hi Guys,

Basically what the title says. I just want to know if my gains will be hit badly if I dont use shakes. Am thinking of going to food as, it may be cheaper. If im wrong please let me know!

Thanks!

false economy

whey is 1 of cheapest sources
Short answer: no

Long answer: if you find it difficult to get enough protein into your diet through whole foods, protein supplements can be a handy way to make up the deficit, or you may feel that they are simply more convenient for you, in which case they are a valuable addition to your diet and if you buy from the right sources it shouldn't be problematic financially. However, it is very possible in most situations to get a good diet including an appropriate amount of protein for your aims without using any supplements at all.

Personally I've never used protein supplements as I feel I get the nutrition I need by eating a good diet of whole foods, but plenty of people eat good diets which involve protein shakes and if I found I was having trouble with protein in my ordinary diet I'd consider protein shakes to rectify that.

Quick Reply

Latest