The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
You'll need a LAN cable (They are normally called Ethernet cables in the shops) that connects to a RJ45 socket. You can pick them up from pretty much any shop (Tesco probably sell them). :smile:

Have a look on your router if you have one, that should have an RJ45 input for connecting pcs to the router via cable. If you use a laptop have a quick look at the different ports you have. There should be one that looks like the sort of socket you get on a modem - it will probably have a little icon near it too, something like 3 pcs being joined together with a line. This should give you a rough idea of the size of it as it can be easily mistaken for similar cables when you're in a rush to buy one in the shop :p:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Ethernet_RJ45_connector_p1160054.jpg/650px-Ethernet_RJ45_connector_p1160054.jpg

That's what they look like. I think I picked up my 10 metre one for a couple of quid :wink:

Edit: Something like this should do the job fine but of course the length you will need will depend on where the socket is in your room and what size cable would reach your bed (Assuming you're using a laptop and would like to use it on your bed :biggrin:) If you're going to get one from a store then ask an employee where the ethernet cables are and you shouldn't have a problem.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCArena-metre-Network-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B000PEJE6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221843361&sr=1-1
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
mrsvandertramp

Will I need to bring cables to connect to the net?

Nope, cables provided. :smile:
Reply 3
Ahh yep forgot about that! Well if you're going to Henry Price and you want to use your laptop while laying on the bed then you may need a longer one - unless of course Accomoffice has upped the budget this year and shelled out on some longer cables haha! :biggrin:
TheWizard
Ahh yep forgot about that! Well if you're going to Henry Price and you want to use your laptop while laying on the bed then you may need a longer one - unless of course Accomoffice has upped the budget this year and shelled out on some longer cables haha! :biggrin:

Do I surmise you were in Henry Price 07/08 then?? Which block?
Reply 5
You can also pick up wireless signal in quite a few halls. It's not as fast as using the wired connection, though, and it will depend how near you are to a hub.
Reply 6
Gypsy King
Do I surmise you were in Henry Price 07/08 then?? Which block?

Block E :smile:
TheWizard
Block E :smile:

Ah I was C block myself! :smile: Good times.

Latest