The Student Room Group

Conditional offer for a 2nd Masters: The condition!

Hello guys,
Recently I’ve received a conditional offer from UCL for an MSc in political science department. The condition :

“This offer is made on the condition that you provide, before your proposed start date, an officially certified copy of your Masters degree certificate and/or final transcript to confirm that you have been awarded your Masters degree.”

I can see that the proposed start date of the course is on 27th of September 2021, however, I will complete my master’s degree (officially) on 30th of September 2021 which means, three days later. Also as a I am a graduate student, dissertation results are published in December 2021 (but I guess that’s not a problem as this is the same for every master’s student?) Considering all of the above, is there a way to meet the condition of the offer?
I’m not sure, but just out of curiosity, why have you decided to do a second masters? Instead of perhaps a phd?
Reply 2
Original post by gvgvgvgvgv
Hello guys,
Recently I’ve received a conditional offer from UCL for an MSc in political science department. The condition :

“This offer is made on the condition that you provide, before your proposed start date, an officially certified copy of your Masters degree certificate and/or final transcript to confirm that you have been awarded your Masters degree.”

I can see that the proposed start date of the course is on 27th of September 2021, however, I will complete my master’s degree (officially) on 30th of September 2021 which means, three days later. Also as a I am a graduate student, dissertation results are published in December 2021 (but I guess that’s not a problem as this is the same for every master’s student?) Considering all of the above, is there a way to meet the condition of the offer?

have you asked your current university the earliest date they can provide a transcript?
Reply 3
You can provide an up to date transcript of your grades at any point in your degree. That should suffice
Hello guys,

In all cases I've met, the submission date for Masters dissertations is late Jul to early Sep and results are expedited just to avoid this situation. You need to speak to UCL explaining the exact details of your situation. But if your dissertation isn't marked before their start date and the university you are at is not prepared to give some written confirmation to that effect, then UCL may not budge.

It's not just a matter of the grade, which they may or may not be concerned with. What they can see is someone committing to an academic path. If something goes wrong with your first Masters, say you ding the dissertation but get permission to resubmit, UCL don't want to take on a student who is committed to complete academic work in parallel to their course.
Reply 5
Thank you all for your answers. I am doing the LLM LPC so every module will be completed by June and results will be published by July. LLM LPC is divided in 2 stages: the modules + the dissertation. I will receive the final grades of the modules in July. After June, there is only a dissertation which I have to submit by 30Sept. 2021.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous778
I’m not sure, but just out of curiosity, why have you decided to do a second masters? Instead of perhaps a phd?

Hello,
Because it’s a whole different field..
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
In all cases I've met, the submission date for Masters dissertations is late Jul to early Sep and results are expedited just to avoid this situation. You need to speak to UCL explaining the exact details of your situation. But if your dissertation isn't marked before their start date and the university you are at is not prepared to give some written confirmation to that effect, then UCL may not budge.

It's not just a matter of the grade, which they may or may not be concerned with. What they can see is someone committing to an academic path. If something goes wrong with your first Masters, say you ding the dissertation but get permission to resubmit, UCL don't want to take on a student who is committed to complete academic work in parallel to their course.

Thank you for your reply.
I’ve sent an email to UCL explaining the situation but still waiting.. I was very happy to receive the Conditional offer from UCL... I thought it was some kind of an unconditional offer (just complete your masters).. However it seems that it can be a huge barrier to meeting the requirements...
Reply 8
Original post by giella
You can provide an up to date transcript of your grades at any point in your degree. That should suffice

I really hope so..
Reply 9
Original post by 2500_2
have you asked your current university the earliest date they can provide a transcript?

They can proved the transcripts by July but WITHOUT the dissertation result..
Reply 10
They can proved the transcripts by July but WITHOUT the dissertation result..

Hello, I have a similar situation this year, my second master's could condition me on completing my current master's degree with merit. Can I please ask how did you resolve the issue, if resolved?
Hi,

Wondering if you found any answers? What happened in your case?
Original post by DQK001
Hello, I have a similar situation this year, my second master's could condition me on completing my current master's degree with merit. Can I please ask how did you resolve the issue, if resolved?
Just contact the incoming uni and advise them the timescale you expect to receive your docs. They may have some wiggle room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending