The Student Room Group
BPP University
BPP University

Full-time PGDL and working?

I'm due to be studying the PGDL at BPP next year but will realistically need to work part-time alongside it in order to afford living etc.

Does anyone have any experience on how feasible this is? For reference, I've worked part-time (5 hours/week) throughout university and have at points found that to be quite challenging.
Hi h0pefulstudent,

I am aware that teachers recommend no more than one day of working as classes tend to be 3 to 4 days, due to the number of hours needed to learn and consolidate post sessions (as a current LLM LPC student. I suppose it will be no different for PGDL full-time.

I believe 5hr a week should be manageable with full-time study with the exception of exam times and different challenging circumstances such as cold or flu or illness or other extenuating circumstances. If in doubt, you can always double-check with your personal tutor while doing PGDL or maybe see how you feel with the workload once you start the course. I wouldn't worry too much about 5hr a week of work.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Farzana
BPP ambassador
LLM LPC student
BPP University
BPP University
Hiya! Apologies for the late reply but I've been looking for some info on BPP recently and saw your post.

I've just finished the full-time PGDL (hopefully, unless I've got any resits!) and I've been working between fifteen and twenty hours a week throughout the course. I would recommend:
- Getting a flexible job (I had three, but primarily I was an online tutor) to minimise your time spent commuting/maximise your opportunities to study.
- Making a really good study schedule ahead of time (realistically you will need to spend about four-five hours preparing for each class each week, and one hour for consolidation if you want a decent grade, so make sure you allocate that time first and THEN look at when to work).
- Warning your family/loved ones you will just be really busy. I got a lot of comments like 'But when is your free time?' and like tbh the answer is 'I have none' but unless they're going to offer to pay for you, its a necessity and its good to warn them in advance that you might just be unavailable.

Ultimately its only 8 months and after the first reading week the time honestly flew by. I got all distinctions in my first term so its definitely doable. For the most part I was working about 100% between my jobs and studying, but I did also get some lovely downtime too and managed to get through with some lazy days, so don't be too harsh on yourself! Good luck.

Original post by h0pefulstudent
I'm due to be studying the PGDL at BPP next year but will realistically need to work part-time alongside it in order to afford living etc.

Does anyone have any experience on how feasible this is? For reference, I've worked part-time (5 hours/week) throughout university and have at points found that to be quite challenging.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending