The Student Room Group

UCL Psychological Sciences MSc conversion 2021

Starting a thread for this course, so we can all wait together!

Have you applied to other conversion courses at other unis? What background are you coming from?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I plan to start a part time psychology conversion MSc accredited by BPS in September, with the view to then applying for a doctorate in Educational Psychology which is the training route to become an EP. I am currently trying to work out the best conversion course to apply for which would put me in the best position for getting onto the competitive doctorate training programme. I would love to study at UCL and I know they also run one of the Educational Psychology doctorate programme. I am wondering whether it is best to study my psychology conversion at UCL if that would act in my favour in terms of getting onto the doctorate? I am a little unsure which UCL course to apply for however, the MSc psychological sciences conversion, or the MSc Child Development. Both seem to be accredited by BPS, but I am finding it difficult to determine which would stand me in best stead when pursuing EP doctorate training. I am a primary school teacher without a background in psychology. (My undergraduate degree is in Philosophy and IR, and I have experience in mental health, PSHE and mindfulness.) I would be so grateful if anyone has had any experience with either course, or could point me in the direction of finding out which to apply for! UCL also asks for an application fee, which rules out applying for both.
Reply 2
Original post by jennkat
Hi, I plan to start a part time psychology conversion MSc accredited by BPS in September, with the view to then applying for a doctorate in Educational Psychology which is the training route to become an EP. I am currently trying to work out the best conversion course to apply for which would put me in the best position for getting onto the competitive doctorate training programme. I would love to study at UCL and I know they also run one of the Educational Psychology doctorate programme. I am wondering whether it is best to study my psychology conversion at UCL if that would act in my favour in terms of getting onto the doctorate? I am a little unsure which UCL course to apply for however, the MSc psychological sciences conversion, or the MSc Child Development. Both seem to be accredited by BPS, but I am finding it difficult to determine which would stand me in best stead when pursuing EP doctorate training. I am a primary school teacher without a background in psychology. (My undergraduate degree is in Philosophy and IR, and I have experience in mental health, PSHE and mindfulness.) I would be so grateful if anyone has had any experience with either course, or could point me in the direction of finding out which to apply for! UCL also asks for an application fee, which rules out applying for both.

Hi this is crazy I have the exact same goal!!! I am currently a primary school teacher without a background in psychology! Have you had a response from your application yet?
Reply 3
Oh how funny! I haven't yet applied, have you? I think I'm going to apply for the MSc child development conversion UCL. I have been having cold feet as I'm almost 35 and it's quite a long process!
Has anybody heard back?
Reply 5
Original post by Dr4gonfire
Has anybody heard back?

I haven't. Applied in January.
Just to say I have applied and am 45, do not let the time involved or your age hold you back! This will be my 3rd career, 10 years each in the others and you have loads of time! :smile:
Reply 7
Hey everyone! Just to say I heard back today after two and a bit months of waiting. My application changed to saying it was 'currently being processed by admissions' and I got the response at midnight.
I will not be attending UCL as honestly I have since changed what I want to do, but best of luck to everyone! I hope you all get the outcome you are hoping for and I'm sure you'll all make excellent psychologists, counsellors, therapists (or whatever you want to be!) in the future.
Reply 8
Hi everyone, I applied in late February and I was wondering if anyone who'd applied then had heard back? Equally if anyone who got a response would be able to offer any guidance on how long it took/if they got in/what their credentials were that'd be incredible! Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by sz1999
Hi everyone, I applied in late February and I was wondering if anyone who'd applied then had heard back? Equally if anyone who got a response would be able to offer any guidance on how long it took/if they got in/what their credentials were that'd be incredible! Thank you so much :smile:

Hi there, I applied at the same time and nothing yet...
Reply 10
Good luck to everyone who has applied!!
I sent my application yesterday for part-time yesterday. Good luck everyone!
Reply 12
My application is now complete with all the references submitted. A bit nervous because I didn't get to submit the application earlier... but good luck to everyone, hope to see you all.
Reply 13
Likewise, I applied near the end of the deadline, and now they keep sending emails that my application is being processed, and that it will take 6 weeks until we hear back.

Fingers crossed everyone
Original post by zooz777
Likewise, I applied near the end of the deadline, and now they keep sending emails that my application is being processed, and that it will take 6 weeks until we hear back.

Fingers crossed everyone

Do you know if they mean 6 weeks from submission or from the application deadline?
Original post by lauralcarr86
Do you know if they mean 6 weeks from submission or from the application deadline?

Six weeks after your application became complete (including both references). But my application was fully submitted on 14th January and I only received an offer end of March for MSc in Psychology of Education! :smile:
Original post by Ella1996
Six weeks after your application became complete (including both references). But my application was fully submitted on 14th January and I only received an offer end of March for MSc in Psychology of Education! :smile:

Thanks! And congratulations on your offer 🎉
Reply 17
Has anyone already received an offer for the MSc in Psychological Sciences or are they yet to release any decisions? 😅
Original post by sz1999
Has anyone already received an offer for the MSc in Psychological Sciences or are they yet to release any decisions? 😅

Nothing yet thought I got an email this morning to say my application payment has been processed. I applied end of February! I hope they are not counting 6 weeks from today!
Does anyone receive error mail from Hannah said that “You may have just received an email from me notifying you of any offer on the MSc Psychological Sciences. A system error has meant that this email has been sent to all applicants.

That’s so incredible... I feel more nervous now....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending