The Student Room Group

Anybody applying for civil engineering 2009?

Hello.
Just wondering if anyone is applying for civil engineering beginning 2009?
If so, where are you applying and what grades are you expecting to get?

I'm applying to loughborough, liverpool, cardiff, leeds and nottingham, with grades likely to be ABBb in art, maths, physics and biology.

Also if anyone is reading civil engineering at any of these universities, do you find the teaching/resourses of a good quality and what is life like living at there?

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am applying Civil Eng this year too. :smile: cardiff, liverpool, loughborough, surrey and yet to decide on a 5th uni... I'm sitting on 3Bs. Hopefully :P
I'm applying for civil engineering at Glasgow, Strathclyde and Dundee.
Dundee aparently having a great RAE teaching record of 5A in civil :biggrin:

I'm applying for the MEng which usually requires AABB or AAAB (Scottish Highers) I got a conditional saying I needed a C at Advanced Mathematics and A for Physics this year :p: :smile:
Consider Scotland !!!
Reply 3
I'm considering Glasgow at the moment actually! I'm sure my parents will be convinced I'm just trying to get as far away as possibly from London :P
Reply 4
I am as well although grades letting me down :frown: Should FINISH A2 with BBC

Applying to City, Brunel, Loughborough, Surrey, Dundee poss getting 5 rejections, preparing for clearing :P Dundee seems to be really good and is ranked highly and has gd RAE as mentioned
Reply 5
Live in Loughborough so didn't apply to it for civil engineering, oh well their loss.:biggrin:
Reply 6
Contact me if you are applying to Newcastle for Civil Engineering.

Cheers
Reply 7
Ah, fellow Civil Engineering applicants!
I'm applying to Imperial, Nottingham, UCL, Manchester and Sheffield.
I got my first offer this morning - Sheffield :smile:
I'm expecting to get AAAB in Maths, Physics, English lit and History, and already have 2 ASs, Art and Thinking Skills.
Good luck everyone!!
I'm applying for Civ eng as a mature student (23) this year, I REALLY want to study at Exeter.
Reply 9
Did you not think the Sheffield offer was a bit high? I wasn't expecting AAB.
Reply 10
azhao
Did you not think the Sheffield offer was a bit high? I wasn't expecting AAB.

Thats what the course requirements are on the website. I think its normal/average
Reply 11
Well I think they changed the requirement after the prospectus got changed lol. I was just a bit annoyed as it was my 5th choice and so I didn't really research the course much.
Reply 12
Have anyone started receiving offers for civil engineering?
Just been informed that Newcastle is going to have SEVEN post application open days with two before Christmas.
Reply 14
im applying to a split between civil and architecture. manchester and liverpool for civil, and sheffield for the joint honours (totally no hope though!)
Reply 15
I've applied to Bristol, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Loughborough and Southampton.
Sent off the application on 6/11. No offers. When did you send your applications off?

Really annoyed about Bristol. On their site they said grades needed were between AAB and ABB, but now I've got an email from them and it says you need to get AAA minimum to be allowed in.:s-smilie:
Reply 16
rlly??? then its unlikely ill use Bristol for any sort of choice.
Reply 17
Armen.SG
Ive applied to civ eng and got offers.
Now i have to choose between UCL and Imp...

any advice??

Imperial is better at engineering hands down.
Reply 18
Armen.SG
Ive applied to civ eng and got offers.
Now i have to choose between UCL and Imp...

any advice??

I had the same choice to make - Imperial won!!
It is by far the better of the two for engineering.
Can I ask what your offer was?
Reply 19
Armen.SG
i have an A in maths, so they asked for an A in physics and and A in either economics or art & design. As ive decided not to finish my art course, I have to get an A in physics and econ.
And yourself ?

Ive been put off by the rumors of unbearable workload and lacking social life... ;/

Hmmm yeah I've heard plenty of those rumours! But I decided that social life is what you make it really. And as for the workload...I'm just going to hope I can cope!
My offer conditions are AAA (maths, physics and eng lit) including all As in maths...which is going to be tough. I was just wondering if they'd asked you for the same but obviously not if you've already finished maths.

Latest