The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

A friend of mine received a letter over christmas telling him he was on the internal shortlist for Government also.

It seems to me that LSE could possibly give the offers out in two batches- the early ones in December (like me :biggrin: ) and then the later ones in about March. Looks like most are in March though so I wouldn't get too stressed! Why would they create a shortlist only to reject the applicants? I think LSE are probably just trying to cover their backs by saying 'we are are actively considering your application' through a shortlist, because they need to tell you something about why it could take so long.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Well done on recieving your offer, LSE is my first choice so the wait is really killing me. Got rejected from Bristol though so not too hopeful and they only have 15 places on the course!! How many offers can they give out?
well that information may be a bit misleading. Although LSE is a top university, many applicants will apply to oxbridge, durham, bristol and such like so LSE may well be insurance choices or not even chosen. I suspect that they will give out far more than 15, but realise that many people who they are giving offers to won't choose them even though it looks great! I thought the same as you- how would I get in with that ratio?!
Reply 4
Seamen Staines
What the hell is an 'internal shortlist'? Are candidates put on this successful? I applied for government Bsc and I know its very popular, I met the entry requirments and I think my PS is OK. Anyone info anyone gives me would be greatly appreciated.

It means nothing, you can still be rejected or accepted.
Some unis send a postcard saying "we haven't forgot about you but it may take a while"... The internal shortlist is LSE 's way of saying just that.
Seamen Staines
What the hell is an 'internal shortlist'? Are candidates put on this successful? I applied for government Bsc and I know its very popular, I met the entry requirments and I think my PS is OK. Anyone info anyone gives me would be greatly appreciated.

I was placed on the internal short list for Law with French Law last year, and I sent them a letter with my mock A-level results, and I shortly got an offer for AAB. It's just for very popular courses where they need more time to narrow down who they want. If you make an effort in your exams, and your PS was good, you'll be grand. Don't worry about it like I did!!

xx
Reply 6
Hoe come only certain departments e.g. Economics, Law and Management get waiting list? Can i send them stuff e.g. mock exam results even if they did not ask for it?
TheWolf
Hoe come only certain departments e.g. Economics, Law and Management get waiting list? Can i send them stuff e.g. mock exam results even if they did not ask for it?

It says on some obscure part of their website that you can indeed send them any mock results, modular results or examples of work which you think might help and that it is attached to your application when being considered. I would think you should do this only if it is a definite plus to your application, don't just send something for the sake of it, as often the PS and teacher reference ARE enough.
I was placed on the internal short list for Law with French Law last year, and I sent them a letter with my mock A-level results, and I shortly got an offer for AAB.

Not sure how that quote thing works. Anyway my mocks have just gone really really well, i'm actually anticipating very good results, you reckon I should send them a letter with my mock results? I am also doing a resit and am certain this will push my as economics up from grade B to A I got 114/120 in one module 80/90 in another and 33/90 in unit 2. You reckon this will improve my chances?
Reply 9
Mock exam is like a practice. You sit as if it is a real A-level exam that you are going to take in summer. Mock papers are most likely to be last years papers in my school.
Reply 10
We don't really do mock papers under timed conditions in my school. we just do a whole load of past papers during class time. however we have done mock papers for math and i got 50/50, 74/75, and 34/40. i have not recieved any letter from the LSE saying i was on teh shortlist but do you think i should send my marks in anyway. If i wait for my january exam results to come out by march do u think it'll be too late and they may have rejected me already by then?

if i want to send them my results can i just write to them personally or do i have to get the letter officailly choped by my school so they can confirm the results?
At least you have been put on a shortlist. Many people, including me have not heard anthing from the LSE. Its odd that people with AAB predictions have been put on the list and others with AAA predictions have not. So I don't think the list is a good indication of how likely they are to give you an offer or how much potential they see in you. But how come some people have not received anything? Can anyone provide a definitive answer to that?
is there anyone who has had offer or already at LSE, who got an offer but didnt receive the internal shortlist letter?
gonzo the great
is there anyone who has had offer or already at LSE, who got an offer but didnt receive the internal shortlist letter?

Yes, if you look at some of the other threads on here there a quite a few with offers, including moi! :biggrin: I didn't hear a thing from LSE until I saw UCAS track updated and then a week or so later received the letter from LSE themselves. Don't worry that because you haven't heard anything you won't get an offer- who knows what goes on in their minds :wink: People who already hold offers will, I think, just have been told and not placed on an internal short list. Those who are in the second round of offers in March have been told that there application is still being looked at.
Reply 14
*Hythlodaeus*
Those who are in the second round of offers in March have been told that there application is still being looked at.

I haven't been told that my application is still being looked at. Does this mean I'm likely to get a rejection in March?

Also because I haven't been told anything, can I still send them updates of my mock results? Do I have to get these officially stamped by the school?
do u think i should email them to see if they have looked at my application. or is this a bad idea?
Reply 16
I wouldn't think that rushing them would help your application!
anyone know what the likilihood of getting an offer after being "shortlisted" is?

Also, how much will a C (in DT) hold me back?
Lottelo
anyone know what the likilihood of getting an offer after being "shortlisted" is?

Also, how much will a C (in DT) hold me back?

I dno't know the chances but I'm sure I have seen people on this board say that last year they were shortlisted and got an offer.

The C in DT depends- are you taking four subjects, as that subject wouldn't really be useful for any of LSE's courses. If you do take four, and the other three are appropriate then it may not matter. That's just my opinion though. :smile:
Reply 19
I Didn't get an internal shortlist letter...worried? nah, coz I knew they would take ages. But lately (last 2-3 weeks?) quite a few people on TSR got offers for NN34 and N321?! oh well, I will keep waiting~

PS. I am desparate for LSE offers, I want LSE! will LSE want me? :frown: Take me home LSE! Take me! lol~

Latest

Trending

Trending