The Student Room Group

how old were you when you started?

I had originally given up on the idea of medicine through initial poor guidance, my grades not meeting the mark and basically doubting myself. I've had a miserable spate at uni and a gap since then and given I can only apply for 2010 entry at the earliest (total of 3 gap years :frown: ) i'd be 22 when when I could begin. Total of four years behind my peer group (i guess that doesn't matter but I still kick myself). Was anyone much older than this when they began?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's were, not was.
Ever heard of mature students?
doesn't matter if ur 4 years behind :nah: that's how i plan on doing it anyhoos
gap year, 3 year BSc, 4 GEP Medicine
:yep:

plus ur a guy as well, i know this will sound backward, but sadly it's true (at least in my community) girls are supposed to finish education stuff quicker... i'm such a radical in my community :wink:

have to add...not was...'were'
Reply 4
I was 21 when I started. Some people here are in their 40s. Don't let age be an excuse, and whats all this about peer group? life isn't a race :wink:
I will be 20 if I start next year. We end school one year later than you guys, and I am on a gap year right now
Reply 6
there are 30 and 40 year olds in my year. And many people in their twenties....
Reply 7
tami*
doesn't matter if ur 4 years behind :nah: that's how i plan on doing it anyhoos
gap year, 3 year BSc, 4 GEP Medicine
:yep:

plus ur a guy as well, i know this will sound backward, but sadly it's true (at least in my community) girls are supposed to finish education stuff quicker... i'm such a radical in my community :wink:

have to add...not was...'were'

Oh, how come you're taking the degree route instead of resiting?
federer22
Oh, how come you're taking the degree route instead of resiting?

medicine don't take resit students...or at least ur choice is very limited if u do
i think only 2 or 3 med schools allow resit students...

so instead i'm resitting a few modules and applying for biomed instead, if i still feel like medicine by then i'll go ahead with gep otherwise i'll do the masters phd thing :p:
Reply 9
A biology teacher in my school applied for med and got in... she's starting in her 30s
I thought this was about periods! Oops!

On a more serious note, I'm taking a gap year now and starting an apprenticeship that will last four years. So, if I do go back to uni in the future, I will be 22+. Uni is not a young person's thing. Don't worry about it :wink:
Reply 11
tami*
medicine don't take resit students...or at least ur choice is very limited if u do
i think only 2 or 3 med schools allow resit students...

so instead i'm resitting a few modules and applying for biomed instead, if i still feel like medicine by then i'll go ahead with gep otherwise i'll do the masters phd thing :p:

I thought there was a few, I know BSMS, UEA, Liverpool, Lancaster and Keele do. My friend got into keele for this year with AAA in his resits.
federer22
I thought there was a few, I know BSMS, UEA, Liverpool, Lancaster and Keele do. My friend got into keele for this year with AAA in his resits.

ooh that's great ... but i don''t love medicine enough to move from home :ninja:
Reply 13
Why resit something you should already know? Why not devote a few years to learning new things that will be very useful for you? I've never really understood resists, it seems like getting hung up on failure to me. Better to advance than get caught up, it just takes harder work at uni.

When your 16-18 its very easy to see life as a sort of career race, how quickly can I get to the highest point. By the time your 20 odd attitudes tend to change and your more likely to be grateful for where you are (however long it took to get there).
Reply 14
the oldest person on my course was 58 at the start of first year. about 50% were over 21 in the first year so i don't you'll feel particularly out of place!
Lots of people in my year are in their late 20s, and also quite a few who are older than that.
I will be twenty-two when I start my Law degree - I see where you are coming from, though I cannot see it being an issue?. In many ways I am glad that I have delayed uni somewhat as I think I am considerably more mature than what I was at eighteen.

And I have just noticed that this is a medical thread.
flown_muse
I thought this was about periods! Oops!

me too.

kate0904
the oldest person on my course was 58 at the start of first year. about 50% were over 21 in the first year so i don't you'll feel particularly out of place!

:eek:
Ill be 21 if i get in 2011
Reply 19
I was 28 at the start of my course, and I'm not the oldest in my year by any stretch of the imagination...

Latest

Trending

Trending